Categories and sub-categories to organize music

nelson c

The idea is that all tracks have information assigned in the comments e.g. "rock, 80s, slow" and you select tracks based on the comment filter.
I think that on this issue there is no much to invent ;), various software you operate in this way, several of them lead the market of music(like PowerGold) using this method. I am sure that it is a very good idea.

Here below I have attached several videos of other software on the subject. (Sorry for breaking the rules of the Forum but I think it is worth)
Current solution is very cumbersome, I am aware that change everything to database server would be hard work, but cannot be implemented categories and subcategories with a single XML?
Use the comment field for this is a bad idea in my opinion.

Another thing I really liked is to have customizable fields for the user, to store what the user precise (within the Tags of the tracks).  (This idea was extracted from PowerGold)

In my case two things that would be very useful to store and filter I can think of: a track time (slow, medium, fast) and an additional rating but the moment in which the song was popular: for example the song "Crazy Frog - Axel F" in 2005 (the year of release), in rating at the time of launch would be 10. However if I had to put a current rating would be 1. Store this can be very useful, but other users may need another thing and with this not would have problems.

I'm open to opinions and ideas.

The custom user fields will be added in RadioBOSS 5.6, this is already planned. The fields are mainly added to allow reporting (depending on country various additional information is required). But I think those fields can also be used in Playlist Generator.

For the categories, it can work with an XML database, too. It can be combined with the current "Comment filter" feature - the categories thing will be a simple UI that will automatically assign tags to comment (instead of Comment, a custom field can be used).

I'll take a look at the "other software" links you've posted.

djsoft said:
the categories thing will be a simple UI that will automatically assign tags to comment (instead of Comment, a custom field can be used).
The problem of this is is makes very difficult see a listing of each tag. For example tracks with the comment " 80's"
You can filter on the search engine for "80's" comment, but no longer is you can filter by artist for example.

Or not you can filter two tags in the comment for example "80 's" and "English song"

Advanced filtering may be added in the future. You can search by multiple fields if you use Music Library, but it's not possible from Search in RadioBOSS yet.

Something like this image will be possible at some point?
(http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,4651.msg22897.html#msg22897)

Have to decide before end of year if continue with PlayList Gen Pro or migrate to another system of generation of lists.
Playlist already present a constraint for us. We need to assign categories, view each category and move from one category to another easily.

I would like to see the first implementation of this in RB 5.6 to know whether in the way I need to.

For when it planned the release beta?

I can't promise anything right now, but I think it will be possible at some point in the future. Probably in 5.6, but, again, no promises yet.

nelson c said:
That's great!. still no date approximate RB 5.6?
Not yet. The development will start soon but I don't know when it's going to be ready.

Hi Dmitry, Is analyzed the link of other software that provide?

There are reports very interesting to organize music that use Spotify. It would be good to take a vistaso since today the radio competes with these applications.

https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/channels/news/scientists-create-new-way-categorize-music-260798

When we add category/subcategory support to RadioBOSS you'll be able to implement any type of song categorization using this system.

The article says that you can divide songs into 3 categories. If so, you can easily implement it using existing features, using the Comment field in Playlist Generator Pro.

Is it not possible to add another field instead of comment?
many people use this field to store other information. For example information about the track in question.

Another idea that occurs to me is to use Tags, in addition to categories. You could be very useful. (that officer in a manner similar to a category)
For example you could tag a song with tags such as "#SongsForChristmas", etc.

I would like at the moment is this implementing receive a version alpha if possible.

Thanks

nelson c said:
many people use this field to store other information. For example information about the track in question.
Do you mean use the Comment filter but do not use the Comment field for it and use some other field instead? I think that would be possible, and this makes sense.

nelson c said:
Where this tag should be written?

djsoft said:
nelson c said:
Do you mean use the Comment filter but do not use the Comment field for it and use some other field instead? I think that would be possible, and this makes sense.
Accurate, add each field custom as a label within the song seems to be a great idea.
And it does not remove the functionality to the comment field. (Which is specified to add track information as plain text)
nelson c said:
Where this tag should be written?

in every song, should be written as a field more, only that you should support multiple values. I think this image lightened a little what I say

Attachments

• Sin t?tulo.png
    Sin t?tulo.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 435
Yes, custom fields is what we also have in plans. Those were planned for 5.5, but it turned out that the feature is pretty much complex, so it's delayed.

Is it possible to implement something in RB 5.6?

My opinion on this:
The radio is headed towards a strict musical expertise. To compete with other alternative.
We need new tools to give users what they want.

Use database for this would be a great idea, although I know that it requires much development work so we could dispense with this at the moment.

nelson c said:
Is it possible to implement something in RB 5.6?

My opinion on this:
The radio is headed towards a strict musical expertise. To compete with other alternative.
We need new tools to give users what they want.

Use database for this would be a great idea, although I know that it requires much development work so we could dispense with this at the moment.
Totally agree

Currently for RadioBOSS 5.6 we want to add custom user fields, but that's mostly for reporting purposes. Custom fields can also be used in filters in Playlist Generator. I'm not sure about database, it's not much work to add this actually, but I also remember "RadioBOSS Pro" experience (years ago), where we used external database, and it was nightmare for customer support :)

nelson c said:
Radio does not compete with personalized music services. For instance, RadioBOSS shouldn't decide what new music tracks to add to the station - it's what station owner/editor should do. And radio automation software handles technical things like playback, playlist creation, repeat protection, scheduled events, crossfading, broadcasting, etc.

If there's a specific feature you find missing in Playlist Generator, I'm ready to discuss it.

I am agree with Categories but I do not like RDBMS for RadioBOSS.
Flat file XML is the great approach for me and a lot of stations.

pety said:
Essentially categories are already possible using the comment tag, the only problem here is that it's not very convenient to manage - we'll do something about it.

For the database, sometimes it will make sense, for instance, to speed up playlist generation, or use it instead of storing the APEv2 tag. It'll be light-weight solution of course, no complex database servers to setup.

djsoft said:
pety said:
Essentially categories are already possible using the comment tag, the only problem here is that it's not very convenient to manage - we'll do something about it.

For the database, sometimes it will make sense, for instance, to speed up playlist generation, or use it instead of storing the APEv2 tag. It'll be light-weight solution of course, no complex database servers to setup.
Is it SQLite good enough?

Back