Losing radiocaster encoder settings

djrven

Hello! I've had the same issue from early versions of radiocaster, from time to time when you restart windows, encoder settings get lost, so you have to set them again! this is happening on the last version 1.4 too!, have you had the same issue?

In fact, sometimes, after some windows restart radiocaster ask you the typical question as when you install it for very first time, do you want to set any encoder...bla bla? it's like it loses any previous data of its encoders! I'd appreciate any advice or clue about it this!

Many thanks in advance!

Do you have any antivirus software installed?

Please try opening
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\djsoft.net\RadioCaster_NNN

Is caster.ini file there?

If you close and open RadioCaster, would settings be lost?

Thanks djsoft for your reply, well, here the answers to your questions:

1.- No, I don't have any anti-virus installed on that Windows XP machine!

2.- When I close and reopen radiocaster, settings and encoders do remain! not problem at all!

3.- Sometimes you turn the pc off  and turn it on days later, and radiocaster says you that this is the first time you're running this program... bla bla..etc and of course no encoder and general settings appears at all!

Last time this happened there was two folders on C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\djsoft.net\    one numbered and the other one without number, only radiocaster as name, as you can see in the picture I'm attaching you, radiocaster.png

The folder numbered had into it the file caster.ini which I'm attaching you and the folder without numeration had the file caster_empty.ini (I renamed to caster_empty.ini) its original name was caster.ini as you can see file caster_empty.ini doesn't have any settings recorded, I don't know how this happened.

I'd appreciate any solution, advice or diagnostic you have to this issue, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• radiocaster.png
    radiocaster.png
    89 KB · Views: 441
  • caster.ini
    594 bytes · Views: 293
  • caster_empty.ini
    310 bytes · Views: 304
"RadioCaster" folder without number is a settings folder from the older version. You can remove it.
Try reinstalling RadioCaster to a different folder.

You already reported the same problem before, it was checked but not confirmed. The latest version adds several additional "save" operations for settings, so it 100% reliable in that matter.

What XP version are you using exactly (SP2, 3), and what language it is.

One more question, just in case - do you turn off your PC correctly (eg. using Start menu), or just cut the power down/use Reset button?

I'm using XP SP3, and those things happens mostly when occurs power outages or you reset the pc using reset button, but, even though, settings are already recorded on caster.ini file, so, I don't know why this happens anyway!

I deleted no numbered radiocaster folder and performed some tests and so far everything is fine, there is just one numbered radiocaster folder and settings and encoders don't disappears from radiocaster. But, do you have another thing in mind that could be causing this?

thanks for replying me!

djrven said:
I'm using XP SP3, and those things happens mostly when occurs power outages or you reset the pc using reset button, but, even though, settings are already recorded on caster.ini file, so, I don't know why this happens anyway!
That could be it.
Windows caches data - not everything goes immediately to the disk, some data stays in cache, and if power suddenly is out or you reset the system, the data is not written to disk and lost.
Please see screenshot of a Windows drive properties (those are default settings). As you see, the caching is enabled and there's a warning about data loss. You can turn caching off, but better solution would be to use UPS.

djrven said:
But, do you have another thing in mind that could be causing this?
As I said above, most likely the cause is Write-caching.
Non-English Windows (if that applies to your system) can cause problems too, but that's extremely rare case.

Attachments

• 12-11-2012 11-41-44 PM.png
    12-11-2012 11-41-44 PM.png
    30 KB · Views: 430
Hi what exactly does this do I downloaded a test version today but could not see what it did more than RadioBoss? Could someone explain as am curious?

Thand so it's to transcode network streams so you need one to make it work it doesn't create one Inernet identity. like radioboss.fm as an example you gave you have to still rent this?

Thand so it's to transcode network streams so you need one to make it work it doesn't create one Inernet identity. like radioboss.fm as an example you gave you have to still rent this?
RadioCaster is a software for streaming, radioboss.fm is the streaming server - you can use RadioCaster to stream to it.

Back