Playlist Generator and DMCA Regs

dashford

I'm sure US Internet radio stations would appreciate being able to select settings for Playlist Generator Pro that conform to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act regulations limiting the number of tracks from a particular artist and/or album over a 3-hour block.  (I can provide the details if needed.)  Right now we can only specify not repeating an artist for xxx minutes (and the "repeat album" field is grayed out).

The no-repeat rule for Album will be added in RadioBOSS 4.9. Would it be enough to conform with US and UK rules?

Maybe.  The DMCA regs in the United States say that you can play no more than three tracks from an album in a (rolling) 3-hour period, and not more than two such tracks in a row.  (For a compilation or multi-artist album, it's four tracks in 3 hours and not more than three in a row.)  I suppose you could just set the no-repeat for Album field to 60 minutes and get by with it in most situations.  I don't know if there is a way to designate a compilation album (I'm sure RB can't detect it).

Since we're talking specifics, the other DMCA reg that applies is that you can play no more than four tracks by a particular artist or group in a rolling 3-hour period (and not more than three tracks in a row).  Of course, if you do play four tracks by an artist they can't all be from the same album because of the first reg I mentioned.  It can get confusing...

I recall that we were taking DMCA rules into account when designing PlGenPro.

"Do not repeat artist for 60 minutes" - this makes sure that album from this artist won't be repeated for 60 minutes as well. There will be at most 3 tracks from this artist in any 3-hour period. It also makes sure there won't be 2 or more tracks from the same artist in a row.
If I'm not mistaken, using only this feature makes playlist compliant with DMCA.
It also can perform partial comparison for artist names, so "Someone" and "Someone ft. SomeoneElse" will be considered as a same artist.

The no-repeat for Album is useful if you want to get more than 3 tracks from one artist in a row.

Two points:

1). The no-repeat for Album is also needed to ensure DMCA compliance.  If your library has a huge single compilation (like the Ultimate Jazz Archive [168 CDs] or the World's Greatest Jazz Collection [500 CDs]) then RB could well select from it more often than four times in a three-hour period.

2). How does RB handle the "Do not repeat artist for xx minutes" request?  Does it only pick one track by the artist in an xx-minute block?  Or does it ensure that there are at least xx minutes between each track by that artist?  The first one might not result in a DMCA-compliant playlist; the second one should always work.

Thanks.

1. Yes, no-repeat for artist and album together will be better. In the next update PlGenPro will have this feature.

2. It ensures that there's at least specified amount of time between tracks from the same artist.

The no-repeat rule for Album was added in RB 4.9.0.4: http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,3326.0.html

If I may jump in I was just curious to know how this impacts Independent Music? I'm a music producer and I've worked with independent artist from all over the world. But I only play music submitted by Independent artists (NO major label affiliation) do the same rules apply?

Never heard of this rule before so please forgive my lack of knowledge on this...

Thanks

I don't think this applies to independent artists :) Anyway, it's a good idea to separate artists/albums to make station sound better.

BigMark said:
Does that only apply to playlist creation or do these settings/functions work for main play?
Those settings only work in Playlist Generator Pro while generating a playlist.

BigMark said:
If I may jump in I was just curious to know how this impacts Independent Music? I'm a music producer and I've worked with independent artist from all over the world. But I only play music submitted by Independent artists (NO major label affiliation) do the same rules apply?
Following up on this -- the DMCA limits apply to any published music recording, regardless of whether it's a on a major label or from an independent artist.

dashford said:
BigMark said:
Following up on this -- the DMCA limits apply to any published music recording, regardless of whether it's a on a major label or from an independent artist.

I don't know how this will apply to RB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act but I think this for DRM and stuff if you think RB has DRM, then I don't know also you can buy a license to play in the public so DMCA has nothing to do with this, please explain DMCA and their involvement with RB an the PGP? I am Canadain and dont understand DMCA's involvement.

RB can generate DMCA compliatn playlists (there are several rules like no more than 3 tracks from the same artist within an hour, etc). If you're from Canada probably this doesn't concern you.

Did you know if you get a copy right license from BMI or Seasac also if you have a license to play in the public area then they cant do jack they are for copyright so yeah.

WBGS-Founder said:
dashford said:
BigMark said:

I don't know how this will apply to RB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act but I think this for DRM and stuff if you think RB has DRM, then I don't know also you can buy a license to play in the public so DMCA has nothing to do with this, please explain DMCA and their involvement with RB an the PGP? I am Canadain and dont understand DMCA's involvement.

Some confusion here, I think.  DMCA has nothing to do with DRM (digital rights management).  Also, DMCA, being a bill passed by the US Congress, has nothing to do with Internet stations not located in the United States.  But it definitely *does* involve all copyrighted music played by US Internet radio stations.

dashford said:
WBGS-Founder said:
dashford said:
BigMark said:

Some confusion here, I think.  DMCA has nothing to do with DRM (digital rights management).  Also, DMCA, being a bill passed by the US Congress, has nothing to do with Internet stations not located in the United States.  But it definitely *does* involve all copyrighted music played by US Internet radio stations.

Yea but what's  BMI or Seasac for just look at radio stations like www.atlwebradio.com they bought a licence to stream or play in public so yea DMCA is just the copy right law prolly and you need a license to play so once again BMI or Seasac should cover this.

Back