RADIOCASTER Vers 2.0.0.0 and 2.0.0.1

DJSTU

I am experiencing problems with the latest versions of RC.
The problem does not exist with Ver 1.5.2.0.

The path is this:
RC Input Virtual Cable
RC Output to Shoutcast Ver 1.9.8 (AAC+ 24k, 32000 Sample rate, Stereo)
Icecast KH9 (and older versions, since I downloaded in case the problem was Icecast) seeks a stream from Shoutcast ... An ON DEMAND stream, so the stream exists only when there is a demand for it.

My Roku Soundbridge will recognise the stream when it goes thru RC Ver 1.5.2.0
BUT not when it goes thru Vers 2.0.0.0. or 2.0.0.1
YET all 3 will work fine when I use Winamp as the Player.
Its only Roku that rejects the latest versions.
BUT WHY ?

I don't know what else to advise you that could assist.

That's really odd. Soundbridge connects to the Icecast server - not to RadioCaster, and it's up to Icecast to handle this connection.

Are you sure that encoder settings in ver 1.5 and 2.0 are the same? It could be something unrelated - like, you have URL specified in 1.5 and not specified in 2.0 that's why it doesn't work...

It can be due to AAC encoding in RC 2.0 has been improved - and Roku device soesn't understand it (which is unlikely).

Are there any error messages from Roku?

What you say is correct... Roku deals with the Icecast Server.
Its like it wants to start... and in fact does... with the missing component being the sound and the metadata.
All the indications are there,  and all that is missing is the actual sound/metadata coming thru.
There is no error message at all (from Roku) since there is no error other than the non-event of the sound. Roku remains in the STOP position and doesn't actually indicate PLAY.
In Shoutcast the link request (on-demand) comes in once you ask Roku to Play:
09/11/13@23:16:13> [dest: 127.0.0.1] starting stream (UID: 8)[L: 1]{A: Icecast 2.3.3-kh9}(P: 0)
BOTH Icecast and Shoutcast are on the same computer.
RC indicates it has one listener connected and the data encoded/sent figures keep rising up.
EVEN THO the Roku is not playing, nor indicating Playing, when I click on the STOP button in ROKU (bearing in mind it already shows it's stopped, and not playing), about 20 secs later Shoutcast shows the on demand has stopped:
09/11/13@23:26:26> [dest: 127.0.0.1] connection closed (61 seconds) (UID: 17)[L: 0]{Bytes: 621205}(P: 0)
and RC shows no listeners connected (drops to Zero) BUT "Data encoded/sent" still being sent (which it will do as it's being sent to Shoutcast).
I have ensured the two new versions have the same settings as 1.5.2.0. I have also tried just using AAC (instead of  AAC+) but nothing seems to work.

Can you try using MP3 instead of AAC? May be it's AAC issue...
Are there any log files available from Roku device?

It's working fine with MP3.
There are no log files with the Roku unit that I am aware of.

It is an issue with the AAC+ and AAC as you state. There must be some difference between 1.5.2.0. and that put out by 2.0.0.0 and 2.0.0.1.

Yes, newer versions of RadioCaster use slightly different AAC+ encoding parameters - this is done to improve sound quality, especially on lower bitrates.

You may try contacting Roku regarding this issue - maybe they have a firmware available to fix this. Or just use an older version of RadioCaster.

DJSTU said:
Any changes made to AAC ?
As this doesn't seem to work either.
Yes, both AAC and AAC+ were modified in RC 2.0 release.

Do you need any of the 2.0 features? If not, I think the solution is to use an older 1.5.2 release.

Back