Hosted solution?

ptradio

Hello good people!

I am struggling to find the right solution, and hope you can help me.

I want to start a radio station, but my hosts/personalities are in different areas of the country. I assumed this would require a software solution that is hosted on the server (we have a nice dedicated server and and a cloud account as well) which would allow us to connect to the server and perform the show.

We also would like to have callers on the show using a VoIP soft phone system provided from a reputable company (Vocalocity).

Can you try to help me out, and get us in the right direction?

Thanks!

Hello!

If you use Windows operating system on the server, it's possible to install RadioBOSS there and control it from anywhere using Remote Desktop or any other software (RAdmin for example).

Setting up callers is not very easy task. You should use the Virtual Cable application, make VoIP software output to the virtual sound card, then, in RadioBOSS setup Mic to use that virtual card.
Virtual audio cable app: http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

Dmitry,

Thanks for the response.

That seems simple enough to get the callers on the radio. Would installing the software on the server allow me, and a host from another state to be "on air" together? Or should they just call in using a good VoIP connection, and use the cables software to loop them into the broadcast?

If you want people to call in to your station, they should call to the VoIP software (I know some people used Skype for this), and then RadioBOSS/Virtual audio cable (VAC) does all the work to broadcast it to the other listeners.
It's also not required to have RB on the server, you can use it from your studio/home computer, like this
[STUDIO] --> [Stream host] --...>>> Listeners

[STUDIO] is your computer where you have RadioBOSS, VoIP, VAC etc installed;
[Stream host] is a hosting solution which provides bandwidth for listeners (loudcaster.com for example)

I have a great dedicated cloud solution, which has plenty of bandwidth to start out with. Should I get a stream host now and be done with it? Do they provide anything special, other than simply bandwidth?

Thanks for the help!

If you have enough bandwidth, you can do it without stream hosting. The other issue is keeping your broadcast legal - you should pay royalties for music you play (it depends on country where you live). Stream hosting services usually take care of this.

Thanks for that tip.

Is there a limit to how many VoIP connections I can put into the radio show? From my initial post, I explained I have hosts in different locations, whom I want to participate in the show. Could they call via VoIP, and the listeners wouldn't know they were not in the same room? Would I also be able to have another VoIP softphone/hard phone for calls?

I think it's possible (make some kind of conference via VoIP and broadcast it), but I hadn't tried to do it myself...

ptradio said:
I have hosts in different locations, whom I want to participate in the show.

We have used this software  http://www.fideliphone.com/  to connect two studios together real-time, but you need low internet congestion and a high speed connection to make it work... plus you need a satisfactory mix-minus arrangement on your audio mixing equipment.

In the final analysis I found the latency difficult to deal with, but the quality was superb.

There is a podcast called "This week in Google" available on iTunes and they use internet connectivity and Skype to join the 3-4 presenters together for the show.  Quality is not perfect but quite acceptable.

Jamie

Back