PLG Pro - Tags - Media Management

Dave,

With chart information in the tags is it important to have the full date or is the year it hit the chart enough ?

Example:  19890315  or just  1989 ?

And is it important to give more chart details like:  year, month, date ... position reached, time in chart

d19890315 p01 w15 ... where d = date, p = position, w= weeks in chart

With a date stamp like that above you could do a query for a whole decade by looking for: d198

Number one songs by looking for: p01

Top 10 songs by looking for:  p0 or p10

Jamie C.

that would entirely depend on what you need to generate as a playlist?

the way I do it is tag with the YEAR and DECADE it was IN the chart rather than anything else.

A track could have been RELEASED the previous year - or even sometime in the past and has RE-ENTERED the chart some years later. Indeed I have tracks that were originally released in 1930 and 1940s that entered the chart in 1975 so they are tagged accordingly so that they would appear in a playlist for the 1970s - if I so wished

Tagging can be quite a time consuming job so it is important to sit down and think of what you will need now and in the future and plan, carefully

There are no hard and fast rules here it is up to what you want to achieve taking into consideration the information available and the time you have to work on your library + plus the capabilities or the query that RB can work with :)

If you want to go to the 'N'th degree RB would have to have full SQL type query facilities such as < = > than, AND/OR etc.

Dave, Dmitry,

I bought three Australian Chart Books today.  These will be the references we use to tag our record library.  But that is only part of the job - the other part is selecting the songs from the chart that sound good and are suitable to play - and that can be done by a couple of volunteers here that used to work in the industry.

http://www.austchartbook.com.au/

It's pretty late here after a 3am finish last night ... time to hit the sack.  Catch yiu guys tomorrow.

Jamie C.

Excellent! - If yuou have volunteers it would be easy for them to compile a playlist MANUALLY rather than RB doing all the work for you !

I don't have the luxury of a group of volunteers - just me  :'(

Dave,

A very successful radio station here that operates from our local University plays easy listening music (adult contemporary music) as their foundation music style and they say that their repeat policy is no less than 6 days.  I sat down and manually logged the songs they played for 6.5 hours one day.  I logged about 76 songs over 6.5 hours then cross referenced them with the Billboard Chart and found that every song played came from the chart - no exceptions.  So, 12 songs per hour x 24 hours x 6 days = 1,800 songs approximately.

So even though the full chart from 1955 to 2009 might have contained 12,000 songs ... this station picked about 1,800 of them to play.  They also said that they add and subtract songs on a regular basis.

This is where the "Comment" field tagging will help us - and Playlist Generator Pro will give us sone additional smarts to make it even better.  Perhaps even something like this - but done entirely from filtering tags for the end result:

2 easy listening songs from chart 1960 - 1990
1 Australian song from chart from any date
1 Country Music song from chart from any date
1 station ID
... repeat ...

As they say "It's all about the music" ...

Jamie C.

Dave,

Rather than have volunteers compile a list manually - it's much better to use the charts and tag the songs once and for all and then it gives us the ability to use technology to do it properly forever according to a formula.

I was told that the manually assembled playlist done by a couple of guys over the past 12 months was accidentally overwritten last week .... 3,000 songs, manually selected and added to a playlist master ... imagine the time it took them to do that .... and they didn't have a full backup.  With the meta-tag approach we tag once and use forever with very little risk of losing that effort and expertise.  The backup of the 3,000 song playlist only had 2,500 songs in it so it was quite an old backup ... such a shame :(

Jamie C.

Dave,

Is your station going to be an Internet streaming station ?

Our community station transmits in the FM band on "Top of the Dial"  107.9

Night ... Jamie C.

radiodungog said:
Dave,

Is your station going to be an Internet streaming station ?

Our community station transmits in the FM band on "Top of the Dial"  107.9

Night ... Jamie C.

Internet only - the future in my opinion  :)

In the UK Public Service Broadcasters and commercial stations are moving to DAB. This frees up spectrum for Community stations and - increasingly - for 3/4G.

4G is the key here as this will provive greater access to mobile internet with "connected cars" becoming a reality in the very near future.

Therefore my station will, soon, be available anywhere in the world which terrestrial transmission will never achieve

radiodungog said:
This is where the "Comment" field tagging will help us - and Playlist Generator Pro will give us sone additional smarts to make it even better.  Perhaps even something like this - but done entirely from filtering tags for the end result:

2 easy listening songs from chart 1960 - 1990
1 Australian song from chart from any date
1 Country Music song from chart from any date
1 station ID
... repeat ...

As they say "It's all about the music" ...

Jamie C.

One thing we have not considered here is the possible introduction of an API which, in theory, will allow a clever person to take information from a database or online resource and pass it to RB - now THAT would be a powerful tool  :)

Dave,

Yes interesting on Internet radio, 3/4G in cars and so forth.  But radio provides an ideal technology to broadcast and the Internet does not.  Internet via ADSL and especially 3/4G is expensive as a broadcast medium.  One transmitter and many receivers is very efficient - and in Australia the AM broadcast band is very efficient too because of our huge land mass and low population base.  To have FM or Digital radio broadcasts here is sensible for high population densities at the capital cities and major cities and towns but AM goes for hundreds of kilometres and is very convenient when driving.

That API idea is a good idea and mobile phone apps and ipad apps would be better if they had a lister feedback mechanism like:
1. A button to like or dislike the current song
2. A small list of half a dozen suggested songs where the listener could select one as their preference
3. And don't stop at songs, have a half dozen programmes listed too and allow the listener to tick the ones that they like with multiple selections

This info would be fed back to the station database system for better programming and perhaps impromptu programme changes

This would be done on a one station per app basis to make it simple for the listener.

Interesting stuff .... Jamie C.

Hi Guys, I also support the idea of ??an API radioboss!.
I also like the idea of ??using a preset list selecionen songs listeners, but for now I'd settle for that radioboss, you can insert a song, externally by scpit, with only that would help me a lot.

Greetings!, Nelson.

dave-t said:
If you want to go to the 'N'th degree RB would have to have full SQL type query facilities such as < = > than, AND/OR etc.
Even without this stuff, Playlist Generator Pro produces steady amount of support requests :) Adding scripting language of any sort is a can of worms - it will multiple support requests 10 times... Well, I think this can be added as an "Advanced" feature in the future for those who know what they're doing.

Currently there's Year filter like this, when you set From and To fields, actually it works as "Year <= 2000 and Year >= 1990".
I think we just add more filters like this for BPM and other fields.

dave-t said:
One thing we have not considered here is the possible introduction of an API which, in theory, will allow a clever person to take information from a database or online resource and pass it to RB - now THAT would be a powerful tool  :)
First version of API (in RB 4.9) will be about getting info from RB (event list, library, playback state, ...) and little playback control: start/stop, add/remove track and so on.
Allowing 3rd parties to remotely edit library is a dangerous thing IMO.

radiodungog said:
That API idea is a good idea and mobile phone apps and ipad apps would be better if they had a lister feedback mechanism like:
1. A button to like or dislike the current song
2. A small list of half a dozen suggested songs where the listener could select one as their preference
We have similar system for TV here: Like/Dislike a program; programs on demand. But I've never used those features... Probably others do :)

Dmitry,

For a small community radio station like ours - current population footprint 3,500 and future population footprint 8,000 (not sure of the number of listeners) some interactive apps on the webpage and via smartphone would be ideal for getting the locals "connected" with the station.

for us, for now, would be enough to create a command is sent in the direction of a song to insert radioboss and this the act after the song (Example: radiobos.exe to "c :/ ... mp3")
The current solution only to insert a track or list at startup.

nelson c said:
for us, for now, would be enough to create a command is sent in the direction of a song to insert radioboss and this the act after the song (Example: radiobos.exe to "c :/ ... mp3")
The current solution only to insert a track or list at startup.
Yes, there's a command to insert a song.
All API is based on HTTP requests by the way.
You can try this out within couple of days :)

djsoft said:
dave-t said:
Even without this stuff, Playlist Generator Pro produces steady amount of support requests :) Adding scripting language of any sort is a can of worms - it will multiple support requests 10 times... Well, I think this can be added as an "Advanced" feature in the future for those who know what they're doing.

Currently there's Year filter like this, when you set From and To fields, actually it works as "Year <= 2000 and Year >= 1990".
I think we just add more filters like this for BPM and other fields.

dave-t said:
First version of API (in RB 4.9) will be about getting info from RB (event list, library, playback state, ...) and little playback control: start/stop, add/remove track and so on.
Allowing 3rd parties to remotely edit library is a dangerous thing IMO.

I certainly wasn't suggesting adding full SQL type query support - I don't honestly think that there would be a massive demand for it either. Adding other fields for filtering is sufficient for my needs  ;)

Back