best location for music library external USB drives?

Is it overall less work for the C drive (that contains the Radioboss program and Windows), if my FLAC music library is located on a different drive? I have a large lossless audio library currently on 1tb of the C drive, and am thinking of moving it to a much larger capacity USB drive...just wondered if this is likely to create less 'bottlenecks' in the system and reduce the risk of any playback errors overall? Any thoughts?

I have my library on an external 4TB drive and there is no depreciation to the program operation that i can see  ;D

Jason Alan Leaver said:
Is it overall less work for the C drive (that contains the Radioboss program and Windows), if my FLAC music library is located on a different drive? I have a large lossless audio library currently on 1tb of the C drive, and am thinking of moving it to a much larger capacity USB drive...just wondered if this is likely to create less 'bottlenecks' in the system and reduce the risk of any playback errors overall? Any thoughts?
You can try it, but I'm not sure it's necessary, as it should be working fine with the music residing on the system drive. FLAC requires about 1200 KB/sec read speed from the disk: this is nothing to modern drives, even slow, energy-saving laptop drives give at least 20 times more speed, desktops are 2 and more times faster than that... It seems to me that some other software can occupy the drive, or it's the antivirus scanner that you use (realtime file check can easily cause playback stutter), the hardware may be faulty too. Hardware failure factor will be eliminated by moving the music to external USB drive.

I have my music library on an external portable USB SSD. The performance is flawless. Absolutely no problems with it and no chance of the SSD "spinning" down like an HDD.

Back