RadioBOSS and Windows 10 Enterprise Edition - Automatic update problem

Hello,

We have just fitted out our studio with new computers.  We have chosen HP Microserver Gen-8 computers with an upgraded CPU, 16GB of ECC RAM and the Windows 10 Enterprise operating system installed on a SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD.  RadioBOSS, RadioLogger, RadioCaster and other software will be used on these computers.

Our first computer is installed and operating and provides the functions: audio recorder and logger and the Internet streamer.  It also has a backup copy of RadioBOSS installed.

A problem we have just experienced is that the Windows 10 Enterprise OS has done an automatic Windows Update and reboot and these important services stopped.  Worse still the external USB sound card box became disconnected and did not respond.

Can anyone suggest how we can turn off the Windows Updates to prevent this happening again ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Press Windows Key+R to open the "Run..." window. Enter gpedit.msc and click OK.

Then navigate to
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

And set the following options:
- Configure Automatic Updates: Enabled, 4, Every Sunday
- No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations - Enabled

Note that both options have to be set, if you only enable "No auto-restart..." it will still restart!

Note2 for anyone else who have auto-restart problem with Windows 10: this solution is not available for Windows 10 Home, it's only for Pro and Enterprise editions.

About Windows Update ....
I have Configure Automatic Updates set to Disabled and Windows show no more any updates :)
But in any time can manualy check updates.

Dmitry,

The sequence of events that you have given are different to what I see on the screen:

gpedit.msc  YES
Computer Configuration  YES
Administrative Templates  YES
Windows Components  YES
Windows Update  YES
Configure Automatic Updates  YES
Enabled  YES

Options  YES
Configure automatic updating  YES
Item 4 - Auto download and schedule the install ??  (Option 2 - Notify for download and notify for install - seems more sensible)

Scheduled install day  YES
1. Every Sunday  YES
Scheduled install time:  03:00

I have attached a screen shot here of the page.

I cannot work out how to apply your options to my screen.  Is there something I have missed ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Attachments

• Screenshot (43).png
    Screenshot (43).png
    121.2 KB · Views: 437
Yes, that's correct, you should have the  "4 - Auto download and schedule the install" option selected. This option, combined with "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations" will install all updates that can be installed without restarting, but prevent automatic restart. You should restart it manually to install the "restart required" updates (if you like). But it will never do auto-restart automatically, and never ask you to do so.

Dmitry,

Thanks for your help with this problem.  The PC has been running perfectly without a problem since you gave us that solution.

Thanks again,  Jamie C.

Back