[Windows Update] How to prevent automatic rebooting

djsoft

Staff member
By default, Windows installs its updates automatically and if a computer restart is required to finish the installation, it's typically performed (automatically) at around 3AM. Restarting causes all programs, including RadioBOSS, to be closed, which may not be the desired behavior.

In order to prevent this, automatic reboot should be disabled.

1. Press Windows Key+R to open the "Run..." window. Enter gpedit.msc and click OK.

2. Navigate to
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3. Set the following options:
- Configure Automatic Updates: Enabled, 4, Every Sunday
- No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations - Enabled

Note: both options have to be set. If you only enable the "No auto-restart...", it is NOT enough and computer will still restart!

This solution is not available for Windows 10 Home, it's only for Pro and Enterprise editions. Windows 10 Home does not offer the gpedit.msc tool. Alternate solution is to enable the "Start with Windows" option in RadioBOSS: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/general.htm

Security notice. As computer is not rebooted automatically anymore, some updates (including security updates) that required a reboot will not be installed. You should finish update installation manually from time to time: open the Start menu, click the Power icon and select the "Install updates and reboot" option. Do so every e.g. every 4-8 weeks.

Last edited:
DJStu,

Home is not easy to disable as it does not come with GPedit.msc only the Professional version does ad you require this to modify policy on the computer. There are certain drivers that windows uses to ensure updates are running the simplest was it to buy new o/s in Professional version.

However, I can tell you that you should not use this, and I can honestly not advise you or recommend you or give you any advice to run this below. i.e. be it on your own risk should you decide to implement through lack of any Microsoft update is entirely at your own risk. You asked how this can be done in an educational capacity only.

To run the batch file in event scheduler a shortcut of the batch file would be required. I am not prepared to inform you how to autorun this. It has been a long time since I tried it so it may no longer function as Microsoft rights around these thigs to ensure its update happen for security of the o/s.

On Windows 10 educationally a bat file and scheduled it to run at boot a below this is on internet already I can see no harm in providing it however my advice not to disable updates:

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop UsoSvc
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%X% /V "Start" /T REG_DWORD /D "4" /F
Set X=wuauserv
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%X% /V "Start" /T REG_DWORD /D "4" /F

If you want to disable automatic reboots after installing updates in Windows 10, follow the steps below. Step 1: Open Task Scheduler. Step 2: Navigate to Task Scheduler > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > UpdateOrchestrator. Step 3: Right-click Reboot and choose Disable.

Back