(N.) cart wall & key command press

NICKY G DJ

cart wall and keyboard commands.
If you set the chart wall to start with the CTRL modifier key, many times by pressing CTRL + 1, the sound placed in box 1 will not start.

Then I think I understand, I have to press CTRL and after a period of time press 1.

On the day I do not always manage to intercept manually that exact amount of time to make sure that the command works ...

Wanting somehow to instruct the keyboard with scripts ... how do I know the delay that must pass between pressing CTRL and pressing the 1/2/3/4 button ... ?? how many milliseconds? ??

However I believe that somehow we must review the issue of making the wall work with keyboard commands. Now it's not practical at all.

I studied the situation a little and it is not simple.

1. The system works by pressing CTRL + key (but if there is not a certain delay between the CTRL and the key, it does not work.

2. Instruct commands in this way or make external software create a macro by adding delay, some software is there but does not support the double keyboard.

3. It would take 2 independent keyboards managed by windows, the main one for all the functions of the PC and radioboss .. and a second keyboard independent from the first only for mapping the keys cartwell / play, nextm stop etc. ..
the problem that windows natively manages more keyboards connected as clones of the same.

4. In my opinion, being able to map with MIDI instructions would be ideal. see you ...
Or create the possibility in Radioboss to manage multiple independent keyboards ... so a script that detects the keyboards as independent "HidMacros" already does, but you can not make a sequence of keys with delay (ctrl (delay) + pressure key)

Yes, this is pretty complicated as some hot keys are already assigned for usual RadioBOSS feature, like Ctrl+O to open the playlist and lots more for the other commands. So, simply allowing Ctrl+Something is not an option. Same goes for Alt+ and Shift+.

That's why the delay option was introduced. It can be used without intervening with other key presses in the program. Technically it allows up to 700 milliseconds delay between Ctrl/Shift key and the following letter key. With some training, it could be possible to use this efficiently.

Analyzing this further, I see another possible solution is to first enter a sort of "cart wall mode" by pressing some complicated hot key (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+SomeKey, even have different "entry" hot keys for each cart wall) and then simply press A, B, C etc on the keyboard. Then use again Ctrl+Shift+SomeKey to exit cart wall mode. What do you think?

As for MIDI, that can be supported natively by RadioBOSS in the future. We've tried implementing this some time ago but that didn't work out, I don't recall the exact reason (perhaps incompatibility problems with different controllers).

Surely we chose to use the way of the 700ms delay by pressing the CTRL / SHIFT key for a matter of conflict with the assignment of quick commands for other functions (I understand), but I also understand that it is not an optimal solution for the practical use of a use for live broadcasts.

For how much practicality and training you can do with this function is still uncomfortable and you never have the certainty that by pressing that key the cartwall is in play mode.
But here we are also to exchange opinions, points of view and find solutions no?

I would see somehow if you can make it work that you can add MIDI controllers, but by evaluating the question or controller midi or keyboard the questions always remain the same ...

I would propose this scenario,
Imagine at best to have:

a DIRECT Post
a SPEAKER room

For example, I would like to give the speaker the possibility to put in play some audio contributions from the chartwall while talking (example: applause, laughter etc.) and also the control of RB functions, such as NEXT, STOP, PAUSE, etc.

At the same time you can have the control on the Chartwall also on the DIRECT side.

so I would identify in the REGIA room, 2 keyboards 1 keyboard for the general use of the PC and RB, a second keyboard Dedicated only to the cartwall (keyboard cloned then to the speaker in the other room) ...

Then make RB detect the different keyboards in input and create different interactions according to the hardware name.

[This software, for example, does the job of differentiating the input generated by two different keyboards so the 1 key on the A keyboard can work in one way and the 1 key on the B keyboard activates another function.
(http://www.hidmacros.eu/download.php HIDMACROS v2.3)]

Once we have succeeded in dividing the various keyboards it should be possible to assign such keyboards for GENERAL use or to say the chartwall1 is directly and only connected to the keyboard 2 as the chartwall2 to the keyboard3 you could have 10 chartwall and 10 different keyboards (it is an example, 10 keyboards are too many) ...

so if I press the G key on the general keyboard it will not produce anything live on the limit working for the song search fields
but if I press the G key on the keyboard2 I will start the jingle or the one that is associated.

in this way I do not need to press buttons activators, we hope in the luck of having pressed the keys well in the right time (700ms) because if you take more time the cartwall is not activated and the jingle do not leave and can make bad figures live ... but always have the certainty that the jingle are there and how I press the keys part of the audio ...

Another thing would also be thinkable to set a button on the keyboard ON / OFF so 'when the direct is over I disable the keyboard2 momentarily to reactivate it when needed. It could be a precaution if the keyboard is left unattended and someone carelessly presses the keys. mAGARI ACTIVATED BY A KEY WITH LED (shift / blocknum) so much that keyboard is not used to write but only by jingle machine.

clearly if all these things are possible even with a midi controller, certainly in addition to having control of the on / off lighting of the LEDs at the pressure of the keys (many models do not do it depends on one thing he wants to spend), certainly also has the its beautiful aesthetics in a control room or speaker instead of having many keyboards for PC adapted for the purpose ...

NICKY G DJ said:
Then make RB detect the different keyboards in input and create different interactions according to the hardware name.
There are two problems with this solution that make this unpractical:
- this is too special for your use case, that is, not many people will need it
- accepting input from two keyboards and distinguishing between them is not supported by the OS so implementing this can be complicated

I suggest using a totally different approach, actually, there are two options.

Option 1. Connect additional display with touch screen capability. Activate "Additional zone" in RadioBOSS and drag it to that screen. The cart walls can be launched by simply tapping on a screen. This is the preferred option.

Option 2. Use two computers and a mixer board (or configure software mix). In this case, you mix the output from two RadioBOSS'es to one stream. And as there are two computers, there are also two keyboards.

djsoft said:
NICKY G DJ said:
There are two problems with this solution that make this unpractical:
- this is too special for your use case, that is, not many people will need it
- accepting input from two keyboards and distinguishing between them is not supported by the OS so implementing this can be complicated

I suggest using a totally different approach, actually, there are two options.

it could be like this, but it's one
EXPENSIVE SOLUTIONS

Option 1. Connect additional display with touch screen capability. Activate "Additional zone" in RadioBOSS and drag it to that screen. The cart walls can be launched by simply tapping on a screen. This is the preferred option.

Option 2. Use two computers and a mixer board (or configure software mix). In this case, you mix the output from two RadioBOSS'es to one stream. And as there are two computers, there are also two keyboards.

NICKY G DJ said:
EXPENSIVE SOLUTIONS
I'm afraid those are currently the only options. Supporting multiple keyboards in RadioBOSS is not currently an option, as this appears to be a very specific feature that very few people will ever need.

HOWEVER YOU CAN DO, I DONE IT.
ALTHOUGH IT ALSO GO IN CONTRAST WITH PRE-SETED COMMANDS (BUT THE DOUBLE KEYBOARD WORKS) ...

I'm sorry but as I already said, this feature (supporting more than one keyboard) is too specific and we won't be adding it currently.

djsoft said:
I'm sorry but as I already said, this feature (supporting more than one keyboard) is too specific and we won't be adding it currently.

forgive me Dmitri, I'm always doing my experiments with the double keyboard ... (and seems to work well ...), if I can get a third keyboard I will try to set 1 standard for RB, a chartwell with CTRL active and one with SCHIFT active ...

I wanted to ask you something, but wrong or by pressing the button (even with delay = 0), from pressing the button to airing the chartwell file (the file is cut precisely without any empty space), however RB plays the file with a latency of 150/300 ms ??

how can this latency be eliminated? and if it is not possible through the settings (chartwell all set to 0.0 ms of fade), will it be possible to implement it in future updates?

a high thing, I try the second keyboard and setting a macro, I can simultaneously press CTRL + (chosen key) ...
the problem is that sometimes I conflict with commands already assigned to RB,
example
CTRL + L =left panel
CTRL + K =viev mic
CTRL + W =insert voice track
CTRL + I = information
and all...

is it possible to insert in the command settings the possibility to modify these commands or delete them ??

as I said maybe these menus is better to recall them with the mouse, maybe put as icons in the main panel ...

NICKY G DJ said:
the problem is that sometimes I conflict with commands already assigned to RB
You don't need to press them together. Just press Ctrl first, release, then press the letter key.
We currently test a new approach with using the Scroll Lock key to switch between regular hot keys and cart wall, that is: when Scroll Lock turned off, regular RB hot keys work. When it's turned on, you just press 1-9, A-Z keys to play cart wall items. There's still a problem on what cart wall should be playing when there are more than two visible, though...

djsoft said:
NICKY G DJ said:
the problem is that sometimes I conflict with commands already assigned to RB
You don't need to press them together. Just press Ctrl first, release, then press the letter key.
We currently test a new approach with using the Scroll Lock key to switch between regular hot keys and cart wall, that is: when Scroll Lock turned off, regular RB hot keys work. When it's turned on, you just press 1-9, A-Z keys to play cart wall items. There's still a problem on what cart wall should be playing when there are more than two visible, though...
SMART LOCK could be a valid solution, but if you inadvertently forget the active smart lock and type a word, all the sounds of the wall will start. It should always be possible to have a second keyboard independent of the main one recognized ...

Currently I have experimented with a macro that allows me to enable certain commands (ctrl + delay + numpad) for a second independent keyboard. It seems to work. The only problem is that for the 1-9 keys everything works fine ... For the alphanumeric keys A, B, C .. sometimes we take assignments like CRTL + 1/2/3/4; CTRL + L / k ....
With the assignment of the SMARTLOCK enabled, perhaps everything becomes easier ...
I delete the passage crtl + delay, and I have no problems assigning CRTL + 1/2/3/4 commands; CTRL + L / k ....

Clearly then I could have (as well as now), more than an assigned keyboard.
I think you have to study how to assign specific keyboards to RB ...
I use the code

lmc_device_set_name ( 'RadioBOSS_Keyboard_02', '1CEEC8C4')

1CEEC8C4 is the identification code of the keyboard 2.
keyboard 1 will have another code ...

anyway I propose,
1. if you use a graphical configuration like the one I presented days ago where to access different panels (ADS, PLAYLIST GENERATOR, TRACK TOOLS, WORK ZONES, RECORD VT etc ..) are accessed through icons placed in the foreground on the main screen , it would already be useless to assign keyboard commands to access them (CTRL + 1 / L / H ...)

2. Assign different keyboards from RB

3. Move all the commands useful for the RB broadcast on the function keys eg.
F1 = PLAY
F4 = STOP
F5 = NEXT
F8 = MIC
so you do not incur accidentally press them ...

3. You could have the possibility to load the various presets of the jingle table (chartwall), replacing it and loading it quickly from the drop-down menu "as in photo". Now it's feasible but the process is longer ...
Then you could have a menu to choose the keyboard to assign to that chart as I said before (if you can do it, since you can do)

4. Currently I saw that it is possible with CLICK + drag to move an audio clip from one box to another of the chartwall, even between different TABs. Could you expand the thing by making sure you can move it to another box or tab but creating a copy? perhaps with the alt key (CLICK + ALT + drag / drop), it would be useful to clone audio in other Chart tabs.

5. The possibility of having a VU Meter in the clip board and a volume regulator (to be able to view and adjust the volume of lower or higher audio), ok the regulator is already there but the volume we adjust it by ear?

6. The possibility of having different ways of playing the chartwall, I explain:
Now the play of the chartwall is independent, superimposed on the audio of what is on the air, (and it's okay).
I may need to create, for example, basic background files with low preset volume, and keep it in a chartw button. when I press that button instead of playing I load the file with lower volume at the end of the song on the air, I could use it for a background to talk after the song and before moving on to the next song, but instead of going to find who knows where there I have in the wall.
Now it is feasible to move a chartwall clip in the playlist queue with the mouse, but it does NOT KEEP IN THE PRE-SET VOLUME, OR THE LOOP CYCLE. after the LOOP, I noticed that in the attack of the cycle there is a slight change in volume (even setting fades to 0) ... and I've noticed that often, even if the loop loop is active, playback stops sometimes after the first, sometimes after 2 cycles. and this is not good (even without pressing anything else) should cycle indefinitely but does not.

7. The possibility to insert in one of the buttons on the chartwall, even the playlists (or mini playlists), only that at start-up this minilist will be inserted at the end of the playlist on the air.
I could create a pre-packaged playlist for the return on air, example ...
jingle
background base in loop (with adjustable volume) where I speak above with the microphone
closing jingle

so in a moment I have at hand all the elements composed for the live broadcast.
(I saw that if I manually drag a playlist into the wall, the palette takes it, and you can manually insert it in the lineup, but I would say to expand the things described above)

8. In practice, do not use this wall only for jingles and effects but increase the range of use ...

Attachments

• keykingle.jpg
    keykingle.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 346
Well, the cart wall and its hot keys are a secondary feature and we don't currently see it as a priority to make a lot of effort about it. It works and does what it's supposed to do.

Two keyboards is not an option, as I said before, because it's way too specific way of usage and is simply not needed by the most of RadioBOSS users.

We'll improve the hot key management to allow for Scroll Lock option of something else. But no global changes about it are planned.

djsoft said:
Well, the cart wall and its hot keys are a secondary feature and we don't currently see it as a priority to make a lot of effort about it. It works and does what it's supposed to do.

Two keyboards is not an option, as I said before, because it's way too specific way of usage and is simply not needed by the most of RadioBOSS users.

We'll improve the hot key management to allow for Scroll Lock option of something else. But no global changes about it are planned.

I understand, there is no serious will to improve things.
so what will be the priorities for the next version of RB? Knowing it can be useful to give you some valid suggestions

I wanted to send you the video, of the problem with the loop. as you see it stops after 2 cycles of loops and sometimes after 1 cycle. (I start the loop and then I do not press anything anymore, but it stops anyway).

video:  www.virtualnoise.altervista.org/loop.mp4

1. Can I add a Loop icon (infinity) in front of the tracks with this setting? so you know visually which are set in loop?

2. Is it possible to set a 1-100% numerical scale in the volume control? Can the volume value also be displayed on the cartwell?

3. Implement a drop-down menu to load the presets I think you can do is a tiny implementation to a function that is already present in RB but with longer steps to do ...

4. Is it possible to expand the list of files that can be imported into the cartwall? insert m3u8 playlist (if I drag it manually it will already be, but to edit / open NO.

forgive me if I try to amplify the potential of RB
Am I asking too much??

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 331
  • wall1.jpg
    wall1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 326
NICKY G DJ said:
I understand, there is no serious will to improve things.
Improvements are always welcome, but there are limits and some features can not be implemented for various reasons. Most often, economic reasons, meaning that adding feature that takes a lot of time to develop but is only needed by a very small subset of users - it's not worth it. Another thing is major UI changes - those need time to consider as we need to keep in mind interests of existing users who may not wish to re-learn after an update.

NICKY G DJ said:
problem with the loop. as you see it stops after 2 cycles of loops and sometimes after 1 cycle.
The problem is seen on a video, thank you - will be fixed in the next update.

NICKY G DJ said:
1. Can I add a Loop icon (infinity) in front of the tracks with this setting? so you know visually which are set in loop?
Yes, should also be added in the next update.

NICKY G DJ said:
3. Implement a drop-down menu to load the presets I think you can do is a tiny implementation to a function that is already present in RB but with longer steps to do ...
Currently it allows loading carts from different folders, while using a menu will only show a list of available presets. I think, we'll try to change it to the menu in the next major update and see what happens.

NICKY G DJ said:
4. Is it possible to expand the list of files that can be imported into the cartwall? insert m3u8 playlist (if I drag it manually it will already be, but to edit / open NO.
I'm not sure why cart wall should allow editing playlists?

Improvements are always welcome, but there are limits and some features can not be implemented for various reasons. Most often, economic reasons, meaning that adding feature that takes a lot of time to develop but is only needed by a very small subset of users - it's not worth it. Another thing is major UI changes - those need time to consider as we need to keep in mind interests of existing users who may not wish to re-learn after an update.

but of the truth, as I have structured the interface is another level true?
Anyway I do not think it is difficult to learn, if one already knows how to use RB can only benefit from it.
I only try to work together to improve the potential that RB has, but they lack finesse.

The problem is seen on a video, thank you - will be fixed in the next update.

Thanks, if you can also adjust the loop loop, when you return from the beginning you hear a little step is not linear .. if you give me a mail I send you a loop of RB and one for how it should be to make you notice the difference.
It is important that the loop between the beginning and the end does not feel a loop jolt. (it would be useful in many practical situations) ...

NICKY G DJ said:
Yes, should also be added in the next update.

is it possible to add the volume as a visualization?

It may be useful to use a file with the LOOP setting also in the playlist but this function is currently missing. It would be useful to insert a background loop with a base for the live speaker so as to then move on to the next song.

Currently it allows loading carts from different folders, while using a menu will only show a list of available presets. I think, we'll try to change it to the menu in the next major update and see what happens.

The logic would be to save the PRESETS in a single folder, so it would be good to have a folder where presets are saved and have a drop-down menu that shows me the presets to load them instantly. (doing so you can use less TAB cartwall and have all the presets available.
It would also be useful to be able to copy and paste files from one cartwall to another.

it is an unusual request, but if there are reasons I could have a cart wall with loaded playlists on top and upload them on the air with a click.
I could have a small playlist where I have a series of elements ... like
jingles opening, base background the loop, jingles closing

so with a click I would drag in the playlist on the air while they are going the commercials in the queue I would put this playlist and in a moment I have already set several elements ...
part of the opening jingle then the base of the background and the DJ talks about it, then presses next to the closing, part of the jingles and then continues with the programmed music ...

if instead for every return I have to do these operations it becomes long ...

can you tell me load the playlist directly from the folder ... OK ..
but I could have a cart wall where I already have all the material to be aired ...

for this thing it would be useful to have the possibility to also loop the tracks into playlists (tracks that are previously carefully cut with dedicated software) ...

I know that as you say maybe nobody cares ... but as Steve Jobs said: "people do not know what they want as long as you do not show them"

NICKY G DJ said:
but of the truth, as I have structured the interface is another level true?
It definitely looks more modern, yes. And step by step the current RadioBOSS UI will be improved, using some of the ideas from your design (thank you for your work with that).

NICKY G DJ said:
It is important that the loop between the beginning and the end does not feel a loop jolt.
The loop itself will also be improved to make it more seamless.

NICKY G DJ said:
is it possible to add the volume as a visualization?
There is a danger in making cart wall buttons cluttered...

NICKY G DJ said:
It may be useful to use a file with the LOOP setting also in the playlist but this function is currently missing. It would be useful to insert a background loop with a base for the live speaker so as to then move on to the next song.
You can use the 1-9 jingles for that, or AUX players. Or even events with the "Overlay playback" option.

NICKY G DJ said:
The logic would be to save the PRESETS in a single folder, so it would be good to have a folder where presets are saved and have a drop-down menu that shows me the presets to load them instantly. (doing so you can use less TAB cartwall and have all the presets available.
It would also be useful to be able to copy and paste files from one cartwall to another.
Yes, this makes sense. This is actually what we did with profiles in RadioBOSS 5.8, and it turned out to be a good solution. Noted for the future versions.

NICKY G DJ said:
for this thing it would be useful to have the possibility to also loop the tracks into playlists (tracks that are previously carefully cut with dedicated software) ...
There's a "Repeat track" feature to do that.

It definitely looks more modern, yes. And step by step the current RadioBOSS UI will be improved, using some of the ideas from your design (thank you for your work with that).

it would be nice if he used my interface entirely :)

The loop itself will also be improved to make it more seamless.

yes, I hope so, currently it has some precision gap.

There's a "Repeat track" feature to do that.

I noticed the "repeat track", I think it's wrong as it is used, I currently have to start the track to repeat and then click repeat track MANUALLY, and then remove it MANUALLY to the next track.

It would be right to apply as "its track property" to a specific track and not to the whole playlist block that of the repeat function .. so once in the lineup tracks will behave in normal play mode, and only the track decided by me will have the loop function, which I will stop by clicking next track and going to the next song ...

As it is now conceived the thing I have to always be to click the buttons ...

Automatic Direction (must be more or less automatic all)

NICKY G DJ said:
so once in the lineup tracks will behave in normal play mode, and only the track decided by me will have the loop function
This is a bad idea. One can forget that one of the tracks has the "loop" attribute, and it will be a surprise to get some track repeating when there's no one in the studio.

NICKY G DJ said:
which I will stop by clicking next track and going to the next song ...
This is possible - right click the "Repeat Track" button to enable this.

djsoft said:
NICKY G DJ said:
so once in the lineup tracks will behave in normal play mode, and only the track decided by me will have the loop function
This is a bad idea. One can forget that one of the tracks has the "loop" attribute, and it will be a surprise to get some track repeating when there's no one in the studio.

why is it a bad idea? I do not think that is a bad idea, and it will never happen that a dj can forget the file in the playlist, also because "the basic idea behind it" is that a file once played and passed to the next must be deleted from the playlist . I have never understood why there is "delete track after being played" OPTIONAL. It must always be a rule. Never will I have the same songs in playlists and the playlists should be generated from time to time always new or based on the musical genres chosen from the various time slots of the radio.

NICKY G DJ said:
which I will stop by clicking next track and going to the next song ...
This is possible - right click the "Repeat Track" button to enable this.

Yes there is the tick "delete the repeat track after the next" ... but it is always not very functional and manual .. if I forget to click repeat track while on the air I go to the next track while the speaker is on the air.
Having already preset the various traces automatically I already know how they behave on the air and I have less risk. Also because if I use the loops obviously the bases that I will put on repeat are a few bars of a few seconds, so it is easy that if I do not press immediately repeat track I go to the next song ....

Back