Disable "Open Playlist"

phs

Could there be an option (per user) to disable the "Open" playlist function?

On our studio PC, some users still ignore our SOP to use "Playlist" -> "Add Tracks from Playlist" and instead open the playlist for their show. They then do their show, the current playlist gets emptied, and at some point the current playlist gets saved, overwriting the file on disk with half (or worse, empty) playlist.

Despite training the presenters, this still happens and presenters lose their playlists and I then have to restore from backups.

phs said:
On our studio PC, some users still ignore our SOP to use "Playlist" -> "Add Tracks from Playlist" and instead open the playlist for their show. They then do their show, the current playlist gets emptied, and at some point the current playlist gets saved, overwriting the file on disk with half (or worse, empty) playlist.
There are lots of ways to clear or significantly modify the playlist without using the open function, so I don't see disabling it as a solution. You can save your main playlist to a file so that you can reload it when someone clears it.

We don't have a "main" playlist that's being overwritten , that's not the problem.  I'll give you an example of what some of our presenters are doing...

Mary comes in and works on the spare computer to create her show playlist, and saves it to "C:\Playlists\Mary\My Cool Show for March 2019.m3u".

Mary goes in to the studio, and instead of using "Append Tracks from Playlist", she uses "Open" to open the above file. She does her show, the tracks clear out from the current playlist on the studio PC and Mary leaves happy that she's done a great show. But RadioBoss still has "C:\Playlists\Mary\My Cool Show for March 2019.m3u" loaded on the studio PC, with a blank list of tracks.

Bob comes in after Mary, and opens his playlist ("C:\Playlists\Bob\RocknRoll Show.m3u") for his show. Because he's opening a different playlist, and Mary's has been modified, RadioBoss asks if he wants to save changes (to Mary's playlist). He thinks he's doing the right thing by saving someone else's work so clicks "Yes".

Now Mary's "My Cool Show for March 2019.m3u" playlist is empty, and she won't realize until she comes to do her next show.

Hoping this makes more sense? Obviously this is user error, but it would be nice to have a way to make it harder for them to shoot each other in the foot :)

I remember how hard was for me to train my team.
Dmitriy, can be done an option for this request?
Somewhere, in settings, a checkbox for it?

This is possible, as RadioBOSS now has "Advanced configuration" section where options like this can be placed. However, I'm thinking of a sort of different solution: when the Open command is used, it will load the playlist (as it does currently) but it will not change the active playlist name for the tab. So, saving it will not overwrite the loaded playlist file.

Are you thinking of that being an advanced option? Otherwise users will always have to "Save As" when they do actually want to overwrite an existing playlist. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

phs said:
Are you thinking of that being an advanced option? Otherwise users will always have to "Save As" when they do actually want to overwrite an existing playlist. Unless I'm misunderstanding?
It will be an option for all RadioBOSS editions, you can enable it in Settings->General->Advanced configuration. This will be possible in the upcoming RadioBOSS 5.8.4 update - may be even today, we're finishing testing it :)

Back