Advert scheduler - Command

madbeatz

Hi,

We use the overlay playback with the 'pause the playlist' option set in the advert scheduler. Is there a way to insert a command to play the next song/pre recorded segment from the beginning (for pre recorded shows of 4 to 6 segments) when the ad break has finished in the advert scheduler? at the moment its sounds odd when the song is playing midway or jumps to the next track and playing midway (when you take of the pause) when the ads rota has finished. This also cause the pre corded segments to fall short.

We tried to use the 'Insert as regular playlist tracks' option however if  I have a live dj in for 2 hours using the event scheduler to start during the ad break (four segments of stream setup as we have ad breaks on the hour and half hour break) or even just fire a new playlist, the new event does not wait until all the adverts are finished but jumps in between the ad playlist!

I think a command to fire the next song/event/network stream after the ad break has finished would be a better option. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

In this case, you should not use the Overlay playback, and insert ads to the playlist. Make sure to adjust your programming so other events not jump in when ads are playing.

Thanks,

So I have tried to insert advert list (usually 9 or more adverts) to the playlist, however if I have an event that starts after the add break, how do i set the event to start after all the adverts have been completed and it fires at the end of the out sweeper.? eg:

Advert_1
Advert_2
Advert_3
Advert_4
outsweeper
New Event starts

Adverts lengths do vary week to week from anything to 3 minutes to 10 minutes, so I cannot time the event to fire at a particular time. Is there a way to add a command at the end of the out sweeper to start an event (eg a prerecorded or live show with multiple segments?

I think there are multiple uses for the ability to fire a command at the end of the advert playlist. News (RSS/Podcast/file download), Weather/Time, New set of Pro Generated music playlist, pre recorded shows, etc, Could this be a feature request?

madbeatz said:
if I have an event that starts after the add break, how do i set the event to start after all the adverts have been completed
You can use the "If there are scheduled tracks, enqueue" option - this will insert the new event after ads.
But better solution would be to change your programming, so that nothing starts during ad breaks.

madbeatz said:
I think there are multiple uses for the ability to fire a command at the end of the advert playlist. News (RSS/Podcast/file download), Weather/Time, New set of Pro Generated music playlist, pre recorded shows, etc, Could this be a feature request?
This feature seems too situation-specific so I don't think this will fit in RadioBOSS.

Thanks for the response.

I am sure I am not the only station that plays adverts and have a mixture of live/pre recorded/pro generated playlist in between. 

Would be interested to hear how other stations handle new events starting exactly at the beginning AFTER the adverts have completed when advert duration can vary week to week. How do others programme to meet this type of scenario?? Manual insertion of command in playlist an option e.g. ?

Any tips would be grateful!

Typically, the ads play, and then it will continue playing whatever playlist it was playing.

It is possible to start a specific playlist after the ads. One of the options would make start the following playlist just after the ads, and put it to the queue. For instance, ads start at 03:15:00, and you want to "playlist" after that. The event that starts the "playlist" should have its start time set to 03:15:05 (5 seconds later) and have the "If there are scheduled tracks, enqueue" option enabled. This will put playlist just right after the ads.

Thank you Dmitry for that helpful explanation.  This is a good example of the type of hint that could be included in a "how to" guide to "standard" operations of this type.  Indeed he is not the only person who has to schedule playlists in this way!  There are many other examples of fadeouts, transitions to TOTH and inserting line feeds that RadioBoss can usually handle, but sometimes trying to figure it out from the current manual, or by endless sifting through the forum can get frustrating.

I have seen the suggestion of a consolidated guide to operations of this type elsewhere.  Would you consider this suggestion to help make using RadioBoss more user friendly? :)

Chris Deacon said:
This is a good example of the type of hint that could be included in a "how to" guide to "standard" operations of this type.
We thought of creating such guides, but there are lots of situations, and there would be lots of guides. That's why the forum exists, to offer a solution that fits the situation most.

djsoft said:
You can use the "If there are scheduled tracks, enqueue" option - this will insert the new event after ads.
But better solution would be to change your programming, so that nothing starts during ad breaks.

I tried the above as suggested, however even with the "if there are scheduled tracks, enque" option checked, the new event will jump straight in after the current played advert is play but will not wait until the advert rota has completed. Advert has been set as "insert as regular playlist tracks" in the advert scheduler.

As advert lengths vary week to week, it is not practical to set a time for the event to fire in the scheduler. Any other suggestions?

Willing to look advert different way of programming Radioboss as long as it meets the requirements

madbeatz said:
dvert has been set as "insert as regular playlist tracks" in the advert scheduler.
You need to disable this option in order to make "If there are scheduled tracks, enqueue" option work.

Will try disabling "insert as regular playlist tracks" See how that goes.

Just had another thought. is the a way to add a .command file to the advert scheduler? if so I can add the command file to the advert rota play list, set it to start at the end of the advert rota. the command would then start to start a pre defined event once the advert is finished. Just like a advert, i could define, start day/time and schedule it on the advert block.

Is this possible?

You don't need any additional commands. In your case, ads events must not have "Insert as regular playlist tracks" option, and other events must have "If there are scheduled tracks, enqueue" option enabled. This way, ads events will not be interrupted by other events.

So, I have set the advert scheduler by removing the "Insert as regular track" as recommended and also set the DJ event to 'insert as regular track" (as a number of live stream segments) The advert was updated (set to update every hour), however when the DJ event is triggered (manually or by timer) it still cuts into the ad breaks.

Also I noticed that even though I do not have the 'insert as regular track" enabled, the advert list still loads in the main playlist.Is this the correct behaviour?

Am I expected to tick the overlay box (which would not forward to the next segment
after advert has completed)?

Thanks

Attachments

• adsevent.PNG
    adsevent.PNG
    57.2 KB · Views: 330
  • LiveEvent.PNG
    LiveEvent.PNG
    122.4 KB · Views: 305
madbeatz said:
also set the DJ event to 'insert as regular track"
The DJ track must have the "If there are tracks from the schedule in the playlist, enqueue" option enabled to make it insert after the ads event.
I suggest you to read options description for better understanding: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/eventoptions2.htm

madbeatz said:
Also I noticed that even though I do not have the 'insert as regular track" enabled, the advert list still loads in the main playlist.Is this the correct behaviour?
All events always load to the active playlist window, unless you use scheduler commands to change active playlist tab.

Hi,

I have thoroughly reviewed and applied your suggestions. The scheduled event is still cutting into the advert playlist before it finishes (although it does wait until the current advert is finished) So this is isnt working for me. For live DJ's the only option is wait for the last advert to play before the DJ fire their event using "run now".  For pre recorded shows or playlisted pro generated shows, I have to make a note of the advert end time then schedule the event to start at that time to avoid the advert list ending prematurely.

Still think if there is an option to use the advert scheduler to fire a event via a command placed at the end of the advert list would work for prerecorded and playlisted events. For live DJs, with training I can live with the DJ's waiting until the last advert is played before triggering their event.

Dimitri, I would suggest you try to replicate this scenario in your test environment to understand the issue or happy to screenshare for you to see.

This is tested and when configured correctly, the events are placed one after another. Please send screenshots of your events: one advert event, and one dj event.

djsoft said:
Quote from: madbeatz on August 26, 2019, 04:51:41 PM
if I have an event that starts after the add break, how do i set the event to start after all the adverts have been completed

Still having issues here. the scheduled event is still coming in before the advert playlist has completed (i.e. comes in when the current advert track finishes but not the playlist resulting in some adverts not being played).

Just to recap, Scheduled events are set to:
- If there are tracks from the schedule in the playlist, enqueue,
- Insert as regular playlist

Adverts Event properties are set to
- Run without waiting for current track to finish
- Insert as regular playlist is NOT enabled

My requirement is that the Event that is scheduled to start waits until the advert playlist is finished.

Any suggestions?

If events are configured as you say, then the event with "If there are tracks from the schedule in the playlist, enqueue" option will be placed after all advert events. Just in case, what RadioBOSS version do you use?

Back