How to make RadioBOSS play music at the same volume

djsoft

Staff member

You can use the track normalization feature in RadioBOSS.

RadioBOSS uses EBU R128 standard to determine loudness. Normalizing does not change or re-encode music files. Any level corrections are reversible and do not reduce sound quality.

Process multiple tracks using the Music Library:
1. Add tracks to the library and select the ones you want to process.
2. In the top menu, click Tools->Process Tracks.
3. Click the "Start" button in the "Normalize" area. If necessary, you can change the target level value.

You can proces one track using the Track Tool: click the Auto button near the playback level slider.

For best results, it is recommended to have all tracks processed.

If you have scheduled music library updates, you can also make it process new tracks automatically.

Last edited:
Of course. Sorry. Totally missed that. Thank you!

P.S. Which would you recommend? Music library's processing or Replay Gain?
Also if I go for -9 LUFS wouldn't that clip some files?
And finally. What would be a good Mix Point value, If I go for a more conservative level, like -13 LUFS for example?

Which would you recommend? Music library's processing or Replay Gain?
Music Library uses more modern level detection algorithm so I recommend using it instead of ReplayGain.

Also if I go for -9 LUFS wouldn't that clip some files?
It could, but there'll be no actual clipping if you play them in RadioBOSS - files are processed using 32-bit so it allows going above 0dB level. It can clip when you play them, though.

What would be a good Mix Point value, If I go for a more conservative level, like -13 LUFS for example?
It really depends on how you want it to sound, and music kind also matters. You can try different values - the files (audio content) is not modified so any changes are harmless.

Music Library uses more modern level detection algorithm so I recommend using it instead of ReplayGain.

It could, but there'll be no actual clipping if you play them in RadioBOSS - files are processed using 32-bit so it allows going above 0dB level. It can clip when you play them, though.

It really depends on how you want it to sound, and music kind also matters. You can try different values - the files (audio content) is not modified so any changes are harmless.
Awesome! Will play around with the settings. Thank you!

Bonjour je viens d’installer la version beta, dans la playlist je ne vois que le commencement de la chanson esquel il y a un moyen de voir tout le titre de la chanson. Merci

Bonjour je viens d’installer la version beta, dans la playlist je ne vois que le commencement de la chanson esquel il y a un moyen de voir tout le titre de la chanson. Merci
Please write in English.

RadioBOSS uses EBU R128 standard to determine loudness. Normalizing does not change or re-encode music files. Any level corrections are reversible and do not reduce sound quality.

3. Click the "Start" button in the "Normalize" area. If necessary, you can change the target level value.

You can proces one track using the Track Tool: click the Auto button near the playback level slider.

If you have scheduled music library updates, you can also make it process new tracks automatically.
We are having all sorts of issues with normalisation using RadioBoss Cloud. We have tried setting all folders (station IDs, ads, promos, music) to -9LUFS as standard, however it NEVER works as songs will play at that level, and ads for example will then play much quieter then boost up for show promo etc. The variation across folders is terrible, and we have set the music at -9LUFS then station IDs at -12LUFS but it still happens??? How do we fix this as we are ready to find a new home for our growing station. Thanks

You can start normalization again, uncheck the "Skip tracks with normalization tag" checkbox to make it re-process all tracks with a new level.

You can start normalization again, uncheck the "Skip tracks with normalization tag" checkbox to make it re-process all tracks with a new level.
ThNks. Yer we have tried that multiple times. Reset all folders to default -9 but still levels completely all over the place. Never used to be like this but it sounds awful. Would creating new folders and shifting files into those and resetting the level rectify the issue?

Reset all folders to default -9 but still levels completely all over the place. Never used to be like this but it sounds awful. Would creating new folders and shifting files into those and resetting the level rectify the issue?
I don't think moving the files to a different folder makes sense. Can you please send couple of the files that are not normalized properly to support@djsoft.net, so we can test them here?
Also, you can remove normalization - in Music Library, Process Tracks, "Set level tag to zero" - this will cancel any level normalization that was applied by RadioBOSS.
Another thing to check, is if you have ReplayGain activated: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/miscellaneous.htm - if you use normalization, ReplayGain should be disabled (select "Off" option).

I don't think moving the files to a different folder makes sense. Can you please send couple of the files that are not normalized properly to support@djsoft.net, so we can test them here?
Also, you can remove normalization - in Music Library, Process Tracks, "Set level tag to zero" - this will cancel any level normalization that was applied by RadioBOSS.
Another thing to check, is if you have ReplayGain activated: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/miscellaneous.htm - if you use normalization, ReplayGain should be disabled (select "Off" option).
Ok thanks. We have disabled ReplayGain. We have also run the normalisation again at -9 however run the folder with station IDs at -11 as this seems to level them out better. Will keep testing and hopefully these measures fix the issue.

uhhh please don't do this track normalise it gave me such a headache to undo sadly it doesn't actually listen to the volume but set a finnite figure for all across all this can give very unpredictable results with some songs to loud and busting the speaker box and other to quiet . just my thoughts I wished i never Trie it .

uhhh please don't do this track normalise it gave me such a headache to undo sadly it doesn't actually listen to the volume but set a finnite figure for all across all this can give very unpredictable results with some songs to loud and busting the speaker box and other to quiet . just my thoughts I wished i never Trie it .
Normalization doesn't do that, we tested it on hundreds of thousands of tracks, of different genres and quality, and results are very good. We never seen any issues like infinite amplification or something that bad.
Also, normalization can be canceled from Music Library within a couple of seconds.

Normalization doesn't do that, we tested it on hundreds of thousands of tracks, of different genres and quality, and results are very good. We never seen any issues like infinite amplification or something that bad.
Also, normalization can be canceled from Music Library within a couple of seconds.
Where is the cancellation option from Music Library in RB Cloud???

Hi Folks, I'm very new to Radio Boss. I entered the whole "normalization" topic due to mixing and mastering music within my own label.
So I entered with the knowledge about the Spotify Streaming Standards for Rockmusic that says -11 LUFS at -2 db. So I use to normalize all songs in the RB Music library to -11 LUFS and I must say it works very well.
My question is how to avoid Peaks above 0db - is that levelled generally in the general broadcasting settings or at the broadcasting server?

My question is how to avoid Peaks above 0db - is that levelled generally in the general broadcasting settings or at the broadcasting server?
One way would probably be to lower overall Gain, apart from that, there's no other solution for this using RadioBOSS I'm afraid. Some plugins can do it (e.g. StereoTool).

Back