Best way to use library

What is the best way to store a) mp3 tracks b) one hour programs c) advertisements?  Do they all go in a single library file or is the library just intended for the music tracks?  Do different genres of music  go in separate sub-folders, or separate libraries or do they all go in one file together?

I have my music stored on a NAS and playlists and presets on a studio PC.  The music file is mapped as M:\ so I can access it from a second production machine.  What is the best way for the production machine to access the playlists and presets on the studio PC so it keeps in sync?       

You don't have to create music library at all. You only really need it if you want to batch process tracks (e.g. normalize, trim silence etc), if you use search extensively (searching on music library is faster than searching folder) or any other features that involve music library. Typically it's used for music tracks only.

You can have any folder structure you like. Crwating many sub-folders to categorize tracks may not be the best idea, I'd suggest using Tags instead: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/using-tags.htm

Chris Deacon said:
What is the best way for the production machine to access the playlists and presets on the studio PC so it keeps in sync?       
NAS drives are usually slow, so it's best to keep a local copy of the files. The exact procedure is different, some people use Dropbox, this is automatically synchronized. Other ways include using sync tools.

Thanks.  Our NAS is very fast and we have not had problems!  But we will store the programs on the local machine.  If the music is not processed through the library, does the repetition protection of tracks feature work?

Chris Deacon said:
Thanks.  Our NAS is very fast and we have not had problems!  But we will store the programs on the local machine.  If the music is not processed through the library, does the repetition protection of tracks feature work?
Yes, repeat protection (for Track List or Playlist Generator) works regardless of music library.

NAS is slow when you have lots of small reads - that is, reading tracks information when preparing categories for playlist generator can be up to 1000 (thousand) and more times slower than reading from a local drive (especially if it's SSD). But you should see how it works on practice, and you can also utilize tags caching that mames things faster: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/tag-cache.htm

General recommendation is: configure everything as you need, then if you see any performance or other issues, deal with them, as it's hard to predict what can go wrong.

Some users with NAS complained that creating a playlist using music files stored on NAS can take more than one hour, while it's couple of minutes if the music is stored locally.

Back