New installation with older version question

I am planning to upgrade to a later version than 5.9.4.0 that my system runs, but I would like to do some testing before I take the older version out of the system. Is it possible, using separate installation folders, to install an updated version WITHOUT just upgrading the old version and using the old installation folder. Would this work if I then imported all my custom settings/playlists from old version? With a separate start shortcut for both versions, would they co-exist for a while until I was fully happy with the running of the newer version, or would there be any internal Windows conflicts? Obviously not trying to run both at the same time, but just to keep the old version there and available in case I wanted to run it to check anything if I found, for example, different behaviours for any reason with a newer version?

They will not work together because newer versions use different database structure. If you want to keep possibility to downgrade, you should backup the database (menu Settings, Backup and restore, Backup database). Then you can install new version to a different folder and run it from there. You may probably want to backup settings on older version and then restore them on a newer one to transfer everything.

Back