News Feed

dave-t

Hi

Can anyone recommend a low cost (free?) news feed for hourly news bulletins?

Regards

Dave

Is using NPR legal?
the legality of all of internet radio is up for grabs i think. correct me if i am wrong but as is it largely a hobbyish, non commercial thing done by enthusiasts it has not been a major focus of copyright people whose major focus is blatent commercial pirating. So i think that its a bit under the radar right now. people run online radio using mainly "stolen" music, use "stolen" jingles, news feeds, so terms and conditions may be a bit of a moot point, just my 2c

From the NPR Podcast website.: "You may not, and may not cause or encourage others to, reproduce, distribute, republish, upload, transmit, display, prepare derivative works of, scrape for the purposes of replicating or republishing (by you or by third parties), publicly perform, sell, transfer, assign, license or use for commercial purposes any copyrighted material on the NPR Services without the prior written consent of NPR". Also rebroadcasting their Podcasts would insinuate a working relationship or permission with NPR. Just because others are using "stolen" content doesn't make it a moot point. Also if your internet radio station is going to be playing commercial music, you will need to obtain a license in order to fully protect yourself and ensure you are not infringing on anyone else's copyright. It all comes down to copyrights. ASCAP has a New Media License for internet radio stations.

From the NPR Podcast website.: "You may not, and may not cause or encourage others to, reproduce, distribute, republish, upload, transmit, display, prepare derivative works of, scrape for the purposes of replicating or republishing (by you or by third parties), publicly perform, sell, transfer, assign, license or use for commercial purposes any copyrighted material on the NPR Services without the prior written consent of NPR". Also rebroadcasting their Podcasts would insinuate a working relationship or permission with NPR. Just because others are using "stolen" content doesn't make it a moot point. Also if your internet radio station is going to be playing commercial music, you will need to obtain a license in order to fully protect yourself and ensure you are not infringing on anyone else's copyright. It all comes down to copyrights. ASCAP has a New Media License for internet radio stations.
thank you for the info, i checked with ascap and they say "If the content on your website/app is only accessed through an embeddable media player from a third-party service such as YouTube, Soundcloud, Spotify, Twitch, etc., you do not need an ASCAP music license.". I am also in contact with NPR requesting permissions, the clause "use for commercial purposes" seems to be important, my station is non-commercial

thank you for the info, i checked with ascap and they say "If the content on your website/app is only accessed through an embeddable media player from a third-party service such as YouTube, Soundcloud, Spotify, Twitch, etc., you do not need an ASCAP music license.". I am also in contact with NPR requesting permissions, the clause "use for commercial purposes" seems to be important, my station is non-commercial. Also I note from NPRs website re podcasts "You may use NPR RSS feeds and other content feeds for personal, noncommercial purposes",

Let me know what happens with NPR because I would love to use their 5 minute news update.
NPRs website re podcasts "You may use NPR RSS feeds and other content feeds for personal, noncommercial purposes", but i will let you know what NPR tells me

so far, they are saying "NPR does not allow reuse of our material on internet radio stations." but i am asking for further clarification

Back