Scheduling and Programming Request

You can install as many RB instances as you need, license is OK with it :)

If you don't want events to run from those instances - there's a workaround for this too: check the "Manual" checkbox above the scheduler list.

djsoft said:
You can install as many RB instances as you need, license is OK with it :)

If you don't want events to run from those instances - there's a workaround for this too: check the "Manual" checkbox above the scheduler list.

I was wondering what that was for.

Yes that is a good work around. will you consider the possibility of creating an "event builder" in a future release?

Yes. It's in the plans for the future. Currently I don't have any ETA about it though...

If you still want to do this manually, you can open SDL file and insert the following:
Code: [Select]
[eventLoadSDL]
EnabledEvent=1
DateTime=3:00:00
FileName=load C:\path\newschedule.sdl
Days=1111111
UseDaysOfWeek=1
TimeType=0
Insert to the very beginning or to the end of the file, but not in the middle of any [event..] entries.
This event will load the C:\path\newschedule.sdl event list at 03.00 every night. So to update events you just need to update the newschedule.sdl file and it will be picked up by program at 3 AM.

Can I assume that the event MUST be labeled [EventLoadSDL] ? If so there is a problem!

when I exit RB (or save the list the event has become [Event1]

Something odd happened last night as RB tried to run an event with a date of 01/01/2010 about a dozen times ! - this was one of my "labels" I use to separate event in my list

Having just checked my playout PC it loaded the new schedule 18 times ! - I have removed the command from the schedule until I understand it better

dave-t said:
Can I assume that the event MUST be labeled [EventLoadSDL] ? If so there is a problem!

when I exit RB (or save the list the event has become [Event1]
That's OK. Event names doesn't matter, except that all events have to have different names (when saving through RB it renames events with numbers because of this)

dave-t said:
Something odd happened last night as RB tried to run an event with a date of 01/01/2010 about a dozen times ! - this was one of my "labels" I use to separate event in my list
That's how it should be :) To prevent this from happening, uncheck "Week days" checkbox.

From User Manual: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/scheduler_options.htm
"If the Date checkbox is checked and Week days is unchecked, the track will be launched only on the date specified. If both Date and Week days are checked, then the date determines the start date - the event will launch on selected days of week on the specified date and after that date."

dave-t said:
Having just checked my playout PC it loaded the new schedule 18 times ! - I have removed the command from the schedule until I understand it better
There's an option "Enabled event" - you can uncheck it for events you don't want to run but still keep it in the list.

I will send the SDL file over as I think there may be something wrong - possibly in 4.9.2 Beta

When I load the SDL file via a schedule it re-runs the last schedule again which ran BEFORE I loaded it - this is not desirable and I don't think it should be happening

Dave, Shameer, Dmitry,

This is an interesting thread.

As we have discussed elsewhere there can be a bit of latency or a delay in retrieving files from a NAS - and the bigger the file the bigger the delay.

We also use a NAS for all of our storage and in theory we back this up to an "off site" copy.

Some thoughts I have had in the past:

1. It would be good to have an easy backup scheme for RB where all the settings, config files, playlists, scheduler settings, PLG-Pro settings, Music Library databases - everything - could be backed up to an external box or NAS either manually on demand or automatically with a scheduled backup.

2. It would be good to have two levels of backup:
a) One for all the RB info on a particular RB PC - hence if you have a playout PC and a production PC you store those as separate backups.
b) A master RB backup for station wide material - hence the stuff that the playout PC would use to keep the station running as normal.

3. A "sync" or restore function that allows a RB PC to:
a) Sync or restore from it's own personal backup
b) Sync or restore from the master backup

4. Storage space on a NAS is cheap so each backup could be archived with a different datestamp folder name so that every backup is stored forever

The end result of all of this is not just a backup from each RB PC for use in a disaster recovery - but more importantly to allow the RB playout PC to keep the show on the air while editing of playlists, shows, schedules, music libraries and all that stuff can be done on another RB PC in another room and easily uploaded to the playout PC.

And, there are some things that work better and faster as a local copy stored on the PC and make the PC a stand alone box and thus more reliable - things like a large Music Library database come to mind. 

Does this sound useful ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Jamie, you can use Scheduler to backup/restore - use run command to run a .bat file which will backup the folders you need (it can simply have several xcopy calls).

There are currently no plans to include a fully-featured backup/restore feature in RB. It will be able to backup and restore its settings, but no external files like music folders or something like this.

Back