Various issues, RadioCaster

squirrelfmradio

This is for both 2.7.1.0 and 2.8.0.0, which I just tried moving to. I'm now back to 2.7.1.0.

1. The three listed encoders in the application window tend to flicker every few seconds. Is this normal? I don't remember this happening in the past.

2. The app window never stays in the same place now. It keeps snapping back to the upper left corner of my monitor.

3. It seems to run okay for about 48 hours now and then becomes unstable. The streams skip. The encoders all show as connecting even though it is still streaming (Shoutcast to my host which is set to Shoutcast 2.5). Closing RadioCaster results in an error message I haven't been able to capture yet (I'll get it at some point) and then the app sort of hangs. It doesn't show in Task Manager at this point so I can't end the process. I have to reboot the system entirely to clear out RadioCaster and relaunch as it tells me it's still running. Weird.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I've been a very happy user for years and do NOT want to go back to BUTT.

I'm running up to date Windows 10 Pro. My sound card is a USB Behringer mixer.

I'll post more info as I obtain it to help with troubleshooting. Sorry if this is generic to start with, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Further to this, I have a hot spare. I'll switch over to it tomorrow with 2.7.1.0 and see if the problems are duplicated on it in case this is specifc to the system itself.

This does not sound as a usual behavior. This can be some sort of an issue specific to your computer - e.g. a conflict with other software you have installed.

The only other software installed is RadioDJ 2.0.0.6, MariaDB, and HeidiSQL. Remote management via TeamViewer. Uses Edge for browser. Extras like the Microsoft Office stub, Skype, etc. all removed. Resources aren't an issue, CPU is always under 8% and disk usage is between 0 and 1% (SSDs for OS and music storage drives).

I've been using RadioCaster for over two years since I bought my first license and it's super stable, the current issues are highly unusual. Only problems I've had up until now are freaking Windows Updates being pushed out by MS every second day.

squirrelfmradio said:
I've been using RadioCaster for over two years since I bought my first license and it's super stable, the current issues are highly unusual.
It is unuaual, we don't see anything like this here nor there are any similar complaints from other customers - I don't know how to help you with this, I'm sorry. If you use any plugins in RadioCaster, try turning them off.

Well, it took six days, but I checked Radio Caster on the main automation today and while it showed as connected for all three encoders, none showed any listeners. This is when it starts to become unstable. After another day the streams will start cutting in and out. I closed it and got this error:

rcastererror.png

It re-opened this time without being hung and giving the already running error. This is with version 2.7.1.0, but 2.8.0.0 does the same. I'm flipping to my backup automation running 2.7.1.0 to see if it does the same. Next I'll upgrade both to 2.8.0.0 and report what they do.

I've never had any plugins running in the app, it just runs as a straight encoder.

When such an error message appears, please click the Details button to send the bug report to us, it will contain more information on what happened, so we'll probably find a fix.

All right. First off, apologies are owed to the program author. I've established that the problem is my streaming host at this point. All of my encoders keep disconnecting and reconnecting to MyRadioStream. This includes:

RadioCaster 2.7.1.0
RadioCaster 2.8.0.0
BUTT 0.1.21
RocketBroadcaster 1.3.4

I've also eliminated my Net connection as I've tried:

Shaw Cable 300 Mbps
Vmedia DSL 50 Mpbs (my backup connection)
Telus Mobility LTE phone hotspot.

This is consistent across two Windows 10 systems. Finally, I signed up for a 7 day trial with Live365 and guess what? All of the encoders are completely stable with that test account on two different machines on all three Net connections.

I've opened a ticket with my streaming host and will let you know what the say. Anyhow, if someone reports that error and erratic connections, could be a streaming host issue.

squirrelfmradio said:
I've opened a ticket with my streaming host and will let you know what the say. Anyhow, if someone reports that error and erratic connections, could be a streaming host issue.
Even with lots of stream disconnects, RadioCaster should not crash, we tested extensively this scenario and have never seen such a problem. Anyway, I'm glad that the cause was found.

Back