A few new spotted issues on 5.8.2.0

eddr

Hello,

I have a few issues on RadioBOSS 5.8.2.0:

1) We changed our streaming server to icecast from shoutcast which has been running for a couple of months now, the reporting on this seems broken (See attached image). The reporting is not showing up the new stats properly.

2) The RadioBOSS windows title always says [Jingle] - Should this not say the current track or something? It never seems to change (See attached image).

3) I am not sure if this is a bug or feature request - When you edit the broadcast title for a stream in the playlist, the track title is not updated in the current playing box but it is updated in the playlist. Can this be fixed? I think it only displays the title as it was added into the playlist.

4) I can't seem to edit a live input broadcast title in the GUI by right-clicking -> Tools -> Edit Playlist item. Is this broken?

5) Can you confirm what the correct way to do fading is on live inputs? What should the identifier be set to?

Attachments

• Image 280.png
    Image 280.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 412
eddr said:
1) We changed our streaming server to icecast from shoutcast which has been running for a couple of months now, the reporting on this seems broken (See attached image). The reporting is not showing up the new stats properly.
Some Shoutcast servers require specifying admin password in order to retrieve stats data. Please try configuring stats relays to gather statistics: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/statistic-relays.htm

eddr said:
2) The RadioBOSS windows title always says [Jingle] - Should this not say the current track or something? It never seems to change (See attached image).
It shows the latest started event name.

eddr said:
3) I am not sure if this is a bug or feature request - When you edit the broadcast title for a stream in the playlist, the track title is not updated in the current playing box but it is updated in the playlist. Can this be fixed? I think it only displays the title as it was added into the playlist.
Now playing box, with few exceptions, is updated on track start only.

eddr said:
4) I can't seem to edit a live input broadcast title in the GUI by right-clicking -> Tools -> Edit Playlist item. Is this broken?
The title is sent only on track start, so editing it after that will not change anything.

eddr said:
5) Can you confirm what the correct way to do fading is on live inputs? What should the identifier be set to?
If you want to create file type, use "line.in" or "line2.in" for input 1 and input 2 respectively.

djsoft said:
eddr said:
Some Shoutcast servers require specifying admin password in order to retrieve stats data. Please try configuring stats relays to gather statistics: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/statistic-relays.htm

eddr said:
It shows the latest started event name.

eddr said:
Now playing box, with few exceptions, is updated on track start only.

eddr said:
The title is sent only on track start, so editing it after that will not change anything.

eddr said:
If you want to create file type, use "line.in" or "line2.in" for input 1 and input 2 respectively.

Regarding the stats: There's no issue getting the stats as its getting them in the playlist (listeners) - and its icecast not shoutcast now. What's wrong?

Using line.in or line2.in for the identifier does not work as you suggest and documentation says it should (based on file name if no tag). This is a bug and I think also exists in 5.9.X? Network stream fading also does not seem to work - if I disable 'Music' fading and then put network stream fade in + fade out to 10 seconds, its obvious it does nothing.

eddr said:
Regarding the stats: There's no issue getting the stats as its getting them in the playlist (listeners) - and its icecast not shoutcast now. What's wrong?
Can you please provide more details?

eddr said:
Using line.in or line2.in for the identifier does not work as you suggest and documentation says it should (based on file name if no tag). This is a bug and I think also exists in 5.9.X? Network stream fading also does not seem to work - if I disable 'Music' fading and then put network stream fade in + fade out to 10 seconds, its obvious it does nothing.
Please check if this is actually the case with the latest version.

djsoft said:
Can you please provide more details?
Sure what sort of detail do you want? It actually looks like the graph is showing all listeners on one line rather than separated? Check 1 and 2 attachments.

djsoft said:
Please check if this is actually the case with the latest version.
I can confirm it is still a problem (5.9.3.0). For network streams, I can define the file type and it is detected properly (due to seeing the background colour change in the playlist) however the fades only seem to apply when starting/stopping the track. If the network stream is played after a normal 'music' track then it is not faded in and also it is not faded out.

For line in, the file identifier line.in or line2.in does not work

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 361
  • 2.png
    2.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 377
eddr said:
Sure what sort of detail do you want? It actually looks like the graph is showing all listeners on one line rather than separated? Check 1 and 2 attachments.
Yes, currently it only shows the total number of listeners, per-encoder lines were removed.

eddr said:
however the fades only seem to apply when starting/stopping the track
Yes, the fades are applied on starting only, if you change settings afterwards, they will not affect playing track.

We'll check if something's wrong with confifuring file type for line inputs.

djsoft said:
Yes, the fades are applied on starting only, if you change settings afterwards, they will not affect playing track.
What I mean here is that transitioning from a normal 'music' file type -> network/input does not apply the fade in for the network/input type - neither does the 'fade out' apply when going network/input -> music.

Thanks

eddr said:
What I mean here is that transitioning from a normal 'music' file type -> network/input does not apply the fade in for the network/input type - neither does the 'fade out' apply when going network/input -> music.
Yes, I have checked and this appears to be a limitation. We'll see what could be done about it.

Thanks - appreciated. As always keep up the great work, we have just purchased another years update  ;D

I see the relay feature is coming along nicely now and yet to test this - can you confirm if:
1) You can see the status of relay (enabled/disabled/playing) via the API?
2) I believe it can be controlled (enabled/disabled) via the API?
3) What happens when a connection is dropped from the relay and someone else connects - how do you control how much time before relay switches back to the normal playlist?
4) Does the relay show in the actual playlist as a file?

Also some more questions sorry:
1) Is it possible to check which playlist tab is active via the API?
2) Is it possible for a feature that when using the clear playlist function, a setting can be turned on so that the currently playing track remains in the playlist? When the playlist is cleared it can be confusing to not see the current playing track actually in the playlist.

eddr said:
1) You can see the status of relay (enabled/disabled/playing) via the API?
Relay status can't be retrieved.

eddr said:
2) I believe it can be controlled (enabled/disabled) via the API?
Yes, you can use the relaystart and relaystop commands to control it.

eddr said:
3) What happens when a connection is dropped from the relay and someone else connects - how do you control how much time before relay switches back to the normal playlist?
When a relay is disconnected, or if no data is being transmitted, it will start playing playlist until relay is available again (it will check it in the background).

eddr said:
4) Does the relay show in the actual playlist as a file?
It's not included in the playlist, you only see relay in the nowplaying bar, the blue bar at the top.

eddr said:
1) Is it possible to check which playlist tab is active via the API?
No, you can only retrieve current playlist tracks, but not the playlist tab name.

eddr said:
2) Is it possible for a feature that when using the clear playlist function, a setting can be turned on so that the currently playing track remains in the playlist? When the playlist is cleared it can be confusing to not see the current playing track actually in the playlist.
The clear playlist command clears everything from the playtlist, no exceptions :) Playing track is removed as well.

djsoft said:
When a relay is disconnected, or if no data is being transmitted, it will start playing playlist until relay is available again (it will check it in the background).
How often is this checked in the background?

If a relay source needs to take over from the current relay, how can you prevent radioboss playing a tune between the 'change over' of the relays? (It wouldn't sound good if it starts playing a tune for a second then cuts out).

Would you consider more API options for the relaying in future such as showing status etc?

Can you provide any ETA on fixing the cross fading not working by any chance?

Thanks in advance!

eddr said:
How often is this checked in the background?
I don't have this information handy, it tries every seconds IIRC.

eddr said:
If a relay source needs to take over from the current relay, how can you prevent radioboss playing a tune between the 'change over' of the relays? (It wouldn't sound good if it starts playing a tune for a second then cuts out).
If one relay stops and some time after another relay starts, it will play playlist music in between. Typical use case is when a "master" station is being relayed and local ads are being inserted - the relay is stopped and started again. Switching between multiple relays when one follows another, it's different.

eddr said:
Would you consider more API options for the relaying in future such as showing status etc?
It is possible, do you need to see the actual status (the relay is activated and is connected) or only the desirted state  - relay is on or off?

eddr said:
Can you provide any ETA on fixing the cross fading not working by any chance?
What is the issue with crossfades? If it's about using the "next" command, it will only be fixed in the next major update.

djsoft said:
It is possible, do you need to see the actual status (the relay is activated and is connected) or only the desirted state  - relay is on or off?
Knowing the status of relay function on/off and whether there is a connection would be very useful.

djsoft said:
What is the issue with crossfades? If it's about using the "next" command, it will only be fixed in the next major update.
I mean the fades in/out not even working for network / line inputs. We really need these to work properly as soon as possible - we will start to heavily use these functions and I remember that they used to work when we first started using RadioBOSS (a few years ago now I think).

eddr said:
Knowing the status of relay function on/off and whether there is a connection would be very useful.
OK, will be in one of the next updates.

eddr said:
I mean the fades in/out not even working for network / line inputs. We really need these to work properly as soon as possible - we will start to heavily use these functions and I remember that they used to work when we first started using RadioBOSS (a few years ago now I think).
I did a quick test for network stream using the latest RadioBOSS 5.9.3 and it properly faded in and out. There's "Network stream" file type and by default all fades for it are zero, please try seting non-zero values to see if it works.

djsoft said:
OK, will be in one of the next updates.
Great! Any chance you can add an advanced setting in which determines the wait time before going back to normal music from the relay once a connection drops? This would make this feature pretty much complete so that remote DJ's can connect/disconnect without RadioBOSS flipping back to playing a normal tune briefly between.

Regarding the fades - I made an extreme test and set the fade in/out for the default 'Network Stream' file type to 10 seconds - it's obvious there's no fading going on here. Normal fading between the normal 'Music' is working fine though.

Any ideas how I can figure out what's going wrong or assist you in diagnosing this ?

eddr said:
Great! Any chance you can add an advanced setting in which determines the wait time before going back to normal music from the relay once a connection drops?
I won't promise it at this point, but I think it would be possible.

eddr said:
Regarding the fades - I made an extreme test and set the fade in/out for the default 'Network Stream' file type to 10 seconds - it's obvious there's no fading going on here. Normal fading between the normal 'Music' is working fine though.
This is odd, but does not reproduce here. Please click Ctrl+F4 while the network stream is playing and send a screenshot of the window. Also make sure that network stream is actually detected correctly as file type you have configured.

Thank you. As seen on the screenshot, it's in mid-fade in ("A: 45" - it's the volume that goes from 0 to 100), and fade out duration is correctly set to 10 seconds. Actual hearing test with the same settings does not confirm the problem here.

Ok but it's definitely not working for us - how else can I demonstrate? Shall I make a video or something?

Another question:
How come %casttitle is only available for notifications? (It's available in the playbackinfo). It would be useful to have this for the 'Now playing' metadata writing function + View of the playing track in the RadioBOSS interface (instead of %artist - %title).

eddr said:
Ok but it's definitely not working for us - how else can I demonstrate? Shall I make a video or something?
Looking at your screenshot, it seems that the stream, while started, is not actually playing (there are no bars in the nowplaying section), does the stream have silence at the beginning? In this case fade in could happen during this silence part.
What happens when you slick stop, does it fade out or stop abruptly?

eddr said:
How come %casttitle is only available for notifications? (It's available in the playbackinfo). It would be useful to have this for the 'Now playing' metadata writing function + View of the playing track in the RadioBOSS interface (instead of %artist - %title).
It writes CASTTITLE if you export nowplaying file as XML, and it should write broadcasting title (same as %casttitle) when you use plain TXT file.

Back