a signal routing question

GrooTheWanderer

Hey guys,

I posted this question in the part15.us forums and I thought I would post it in here to. Thanks in advance for help. We will be using the automation software Radio Boss. One of the MANY cool things about it, is that it supports streaming to a remote server such as shoutcast to Live365 locally. Meaning you need no extra,"additional" software to stream to a server. So, it will broadcast through the rack then to the transmitter and to the net simultaneously within the same program etc etc. So, One feed goes directly from the app to the net, the other feed goes to the mixer, where my mic is plugged in , then through the rack to the transmitter. What I need to sus out is how to get the signal from the mic thats plugged into the mixer, back into the feed that goes to the net from radio boss. Now, I could use a usb condenser mic on the pc that is playing the music via Radio Boss, and it might sound okay or good enough till I can figure out how to do it better. But obviouslly this wouldnt be the best choice as I couldnt independently eq the music from radio boss and the usb mic input. I dont know guys, I can figure it out. The closest example I could find is in a video I will post below. It seems as if he is pointing to his compressor limitor mdx 2600 where one feed goes from there to the inovonics 222, then to the transmitter and the other goes to his Live365 feed. Then what, the signal comming out of the 2nd channel on the mdx goes to another computer to a live365 server. How does that work, doesnt any feed going to a server like that have to have song id's? I am tellin ya, its giving me a freaking headache, but I know you brainy mugs will help me through it lol. Thanks once again in advance yall :)

GrooTheWander

As I understood, RadioBOSS plays the playlist and it goes to the mixer; mic is also connected to the same mixer and you want to broadcast the final mix to the net. That's possible. You'll need RadioBOSS 4.9 or newer for it.

1. Connect mixer output to one of the sound card inputs
2. Open RadioBOSS, click Settings->Options, select Inputs
3. For Input 2 select the input where you have connected mixer to
4. Open Broadcast section, in the upper right corner select Source: Input 2.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dmitry,

First off, I want to thank you for responding in such a timely manner. I am really impressed with the quality of customer support that you offer here for sure! Okay, now that I got that out of the way, I wanted to ask if it was okay to post youtube/screen capture videos in here when we are trying to describe issues we are having? Also, in regards to the previous answer that you gave. It looks like what you are suggesting will work to get the mic signal from the mixer back to Radio Boss so that it can stream which is freakin cool! What I am trying to figure out now is this. Okay Radio Boss is playing on the laptop, the mic is in the mixer. At this point both radio boss and the mic, both independently eq'd then going through our rack, then to the transmitter. If I use a aux out from the channel on the mixer that I am using for the mic to go back to the laptop then to Radio Boss( using the instructions you provided!:) at that point radio boss is going to treat the combined signal from the mic and radio boss as a single signal going back to mixer then to the rack? So in essence , if I eq the mic that goes back to laptop/radio boss, then that gets mixed with the music of radio boss, any eq that I give the mic in the first place will get for lack of a better term,"re-eq'd) along with the music going to the mixer. Does that make sense? If not, I can dig it brother, I am kinda new to all this lol :)

Thanks in advance bro, you guys rock!

Groo

GrooTheWanderer said:
Okay, now that I got that out of the way, I wanted to ask if it was okay to post youtube/screen capture videos in here when we are trying to describe issues we are having?
Yes, videos are OK.

GrooTheWanderer said:
Also, in regards to the previous answer that you gave. It looks like what you are suggesting will work to get the mic signal from the mixer back to Radio Boss so that it can stream which is freakin cool! What I am trying to figure out now is this. Okay Radio Boss is playing on the laptop, the mic is in the mixer. At this point both radio boss and the mic, both independently eq'd then going through our rack, then to the transmitter. If I use a aux out from the channel on the mixer that I am using for the mic to go back to the laptop then to Radio Boss( using the instructions you provided!:) at that point radio boss is going to treat the combined signal from the mic and radio boss as a single signal going back to mixer then to the rack?
RadioBOSS doesn't combine the signals. When you select a Source on broadcasting tab, it uses only the selected source.
Eg. if you select Input 2 as a source, then it will broadcast only what's on that input - playlist playback won't be mixed there.

The usual setup is as like this:
RB output (playlist playback) is connected to a mixer input; microphone is also connected to a mixer input; mixer out is connected to the PC sound card input - that input is used for encoding. This way all the mixing is done by the hardware mixer, RB does playback and encoding.

Hey Dmitry,

Okay, got it and thanks once again for your help. One more question I think. Would be able to use the mic input on my laptop for that? Or would I have to get a desktop with the intergrated sound chip AND a separate sound card?

Thanks in advance good buddy :)
GrooTheWanderer

Most likely, yes.
Sometimes mic inputs on laptops are amplified and/or have some DSP applied (and this can't be switched off) - so you'll get modified sound. If that's not the case, mic input can be used.

You can also use external USB sound cards with laptop to get more inputs/outputs and better quality.

Dmitry,

Cool, the external usb sound card sounds good, could you suggest one for me? My audio guy works at guitar center and could get me a deal I think.

Thanks again brother, you rock!

Groo

GrooTheWanderer said:
        Cool, the external usb sound card sounds good, could you suggest one for me? My audio guy works at guitar center and could get me a deal I think.
It depends on what you need from the sound card eg. how many inputs/outputs, ASIO support, etc. There are $5 sound cards with 1 in/1out and questionable quality. You can also use something more professional, like Creative E-Mu with 4+ ins/outs, those cards cost about $100.

Hey Dmitry,

Was something like this what you were talking about?
http://artproaudio.com/discontinued_products/discontinued_products/product/usb_dual_pre

Groo

Yes - but your link says "discontinued" which means there won't be any driver updates and I wouldn't recommend that. You can search the net for "usb audio interface" and it will give you a lot of options. For example: http://www.creative.com/emu/products/usbinterfaces/

Back