Categories and sub-categories to organize music

pety said:
Flat file XML is the great approach for me and a lot of stations.
Database can make things very interesting. It is possible to make impossible things (or at least very difficult to implement).
For example you could identify as:
-The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling (Laidback Luke remix)
part of the song:
-The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
(And use this as a filter in PLGen Pro)

And make filters very interesting for PLGen Pro.
For example:
Songs of the 90s that are slow. (in a very simple way)
Also see a list of these songs very simple. See this link http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,4651.msg22897.html#msg22897

Obviously all this is a job of programming (on the side of RadioBOSS) Organization and classification of music. (users)

We don't need all the features and filters with urgency, but I think that it is a way to go.

djsoft said:
It'll be light-weight solution of course, no complex database servers to setup.
I agree to use Lightweight servers. They can be very powerful and do not need both resources and large managers such as Microsoft SQL Server.

djsoft said:
Currently for RadioBOSS 5.6 we want to add custom user fields, but that's mostly for reporting purposes. Custom fields can also be used in filters in Playlist Generator. I'm not sure about database, it's not much work to add this actually, but I also remember "RadioBOSS Pro" experience (years ago), where we used external database, and it was nightmare for customer support :)
I agree that can be cumbersome for some users the connection to the database and may arise a lot of queries on the stand.
But alternatives such as SQLite that are local, I think you could establish the connection string from the source code (have done this in Android apps from Delphi and I have had no problems). and avoid all these problems that have inexperienced users.

I remember that some time ago we talked about the theme database and you proposed to optional use of database users.
But in terms practical perhaps become very cumbersome to keep two options, mostly because things that are implemented very simple database cost much work to implement as they do now.
It is only my point of view :)

"RadioBOSS Pro" experience (years ago), where we used external database
Did not know that it existed a version of RadioBOSS with database.
Is it possible to send me a download link to test?  :D

nelson c said:
For example you could identify as:
-The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling (Laidback Luke remix)
part of the song:
-The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
(And use this as a filter in PLGen Pro)
This can be done without database as well... There's already partial artist matching in RadioBOSS. Same can be added for track title too (although this feature was never requested).

nelson c said:
Songs of the 90s that are slow. (in a very simple way)
Also see a list of these songs very simple. See this link http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,4651.msg22897.html#msg22897
This is possible using the Comment field... Database is not required here either. The problem is that UI is not that good for managing using the Comment - and that's going to be improved soon.

nelson c said:
I agree to use Lightweight servers. They can be very powerful and do not need both resources and large managers such as Microsoft SQL Server.
No MSSQL server, that's for sure :) We'll give a choice on what database to use, I think start with SQLite and MySQL should be enough.

nelson c said:
"RadioBOSS Pro" experience (years ago), where we used external database
Did not know that it existed a version of RadioBOSS with database.
Is it possible to send me a download link to test?  :D
It's buried and it was back in 2004 or so - I don't have a distribution that is able to start :) It was failed project, so not much a loss anyway. It used Firebird database and we had lots of problems (user reported) with server setup, configuration, conflicts with other software, etc etc.

Hi Dimitry, is there a date estimated for RB 5.6 BETA? I am eager to try and help in the implementation of categories. :D

nelson c said:
Hi Dimitry, is there a date estimated for RB 5.6 BETA? I am eager to try and help in the implementation of categories. :D
It's under development, but I'm not sure if Categories will be there, as 5.6 already has many new features planned.

Is very complex of process implement this? Also at a time when talk of custom fields in each song. This be in RB 5.6?

nelson c said:
Is very complex of process implement this? Also at a time when talk of custom fields in each song. This be in RB 5.6?
Yes, custom fields will be added in 5.6. Categories are not complex, but it requires some planning on how it all should work, and I also RB should be prepared for this, at least convert current XML database to embedded SQL (eg SQLite) to make it all manageable.

Hello Dmitry,
Is it going to finally implement categories in RB 5.6?
I am looking to (deleted) and has very good ideas to implement this.

It's planned for the future, RadioBOSS 5.7 maybe - the upcoming 5.6 release has other features.

Do you have improvements in the left pane?. In another post, we talked about that you should become another of work zone :)

I'm using a demo of PowerGold and it's really fantastic
There are many good ideas we can bring to RadioBOSS :D

A song can belong to several categories, easily :)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 348
More interesting things:
Set a date for the songs to go from one category to another.
(Very useful for the top40) ;)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 332
You'll see something like this in the future RadioBOSS releases. Although we'd like to avoid the path where each song has to be "imported" and where it's requires to set up lots of parameters...

Back