Check file existence on playlist load

phs

Could RB do a quick check for file existence of each file in the playlist when loading a playlist please?

We have presenters that create their playlist days or even weeks in advance. Some times for whatever reason files get moved or deleted but the user doesn't find out until they get to that track in the playlist and it won't play, instead just logging an error in the log.

If RB did a quick scan to make sure each file exists and is readable when the playlist is loaded, and flag it with an icon or text prefix (eg, "FILE NOT FOUND: <artist> <title>) in the playlist it would allow the user to see any tracks that won't play before they announce it on-air and press play :)

It already does so, when it updates track durations on playlist load. You can mark non-existent tracks using the Playlist->Extra->Show non-existent files feature. Such tracks will be marked with a red outline. You will also see their duration as "--:--" (this is always active regardless if show nonexistent files is enabled).

I hadn't found the "Show non-existant files" option, thanks. I'll enable that in the studio now.

FYI though, it highlights the file however the time is still displayed in 5.8.4.0

I tested with the following steps:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Copy a MP3 file from our library to my desktop.
[*]Create a new playlist, insert a random selection of files from the library.
[*]Insert the track from step 1 in the middle of the playlist using the file explorer.
[*]Save the playlist, and create a new playlist.
[*]Delete the file from step 1 from the desktop.
[*]Reopen saved playlist.
[/list]

Not a huge problem, but not as you expected.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/9OW6cWU

It actually appears to be a feature that is going to be added soon, sorry for misinformation, the duration for nonexistent will be nulled in the next update.

Back