Fine Tuning EQ and Compressor Settings

MoPossum

I'm preparing RB for switchover from SAMBroadcaster Pro and one thing that I'm having trouble with is trying to get the EQ and Compressor to match the previous software settings. I was orignally hoping that I would be able to simply copy my previous settings into RadioBoss's AGC and get a match of the sound, but of course, that was naive as all platforms seem to handle this differently.

For all of the glitches and lacking that we dealt with for the past 2-1/2 years, we really had our sound dialed in on our previous software, so I definitely want to find a way to match that, but my previous radio life took place in the analog era, when ads were played on carts, we cued up 45's for music, spliced tape to edit and we dialed-in a new EQ by sound, so this is quite an undertaking for me, personally.

I'm including screenshots of our former settings to see if anyone has a suggestion. I tried reducing RB to 5-band and matching the settings, but that didn't come close to the sound we had. Everything seems "tinny" for some reason.

Any help you can give an old fogey on this would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

• SAM Compressor Settings.jpg
    SAM Compressor Settings.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 152
  • SAM Expander Settings.jpg
    SAM Expander Settings.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 144
  • SAM Limiter Settings.jpg
    SAM Limiter Settings.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 146
Thanks!!! I’ll give the normalization a whirl.

I did see in the manual where RadioBOSS is capable of bulk normalization of a database, although I know normalization to be normalizing the overall output levels, (ie; placing all at a max of -1db, for example). I didn’t realize that it could also normalize the output sound quality of the tracks, (like bass/treble, etc.?)

I’ll read the link. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the process.

I did try to “tweak” the EQ and compressor settings, although it seemed like the more I tried, the worse I made it. 🙄 (Probably my tweaking method, not the software).

It does give the option (on screen) of utilizing foreign DSP settings from (I think, maybe) WinAmp and another offering, (the second name escapes me at the moment and possibly I’m remembering the first name wrong, but I’m on my way to the studio now so I’ll doublecheck). Is that something I should look into, as well, and if so, any recommendations there? (I’m not really at all familiar with that, as I’m sure you can tell).

I didn’t realize that it could also normalize the output sound quality of the tracks, (like bass/treble, etc.?)
It normalizes overall (perceived) track loudness, so that tracks play at the same volume. It does not specifically normalize selected bands.

I did try to “tweak” the EQ and compressor settings, although it seemed like the more I tried, the worse I made it. 🙄 (Probably my tweaking method, not the software).
Software just does what it's instructed to do. The Equalizer processing is pretty the same in all software. Please note that in RadioBOSS you can configure Equalizer, for instance, you can reduce it to three bands (bass/mid/treble) and widen the bands, instead of using the default 10-band eq with narrower bands.

Is that something I should look into, as well, and if so, any recommendations there? (I’m not really at all familiar with that, as I’m sure you can tell).
You can install StereoTool plugin that allows a lot of sound processing options: https://www.thimeo.com/stereo-tool/ (using VST version is preferred).

Thanks Dmitry!

After looking at it, I'm currently testing with the EQ tuned off. Like you'd pointed out, they're all pretty much the same, as a default. Within the old AGC, we weren't really utilizing much in the way of EQ settings anyway. Mostost of the settings were under the Compressor, so I've matched those on the RadioBOSS Compressor to see how that does.

I may try the Stereo Tool plugin, although I'm kind of thinking the same thing that you likely are ... that's going to give me too many options and I'll overload! :)

Thanks again for the help!

@MoPossum, yes its pretty good but does not come close to more expensive DSP the difference is studio quality and I don't think its 64bit. which RadioBoss is now

Stereo Tool is one of the best I found its gone through beta update so is less complicated and it was but the sound handling is studio quality. It also outputs to DM transmitter with RDS modules. So its pretty neat and awesome.

About RadioBoss cloud, it's better to keep equalizer and compressor inactive or try to active and find the best settings? All my tracks are original and normalized. Alsoz should I use replay gain? Thanks.

About RadioBoss cloud, it's better to keep equalizer and compressor inactive or try to active and find the best settings? All my tracks are original and normalized. Alsoz should I use replay gain? Thanks.
You need to use ReplayGain if tracks were normalized using ReplayGain (that is, they have ReplayGain tag). Regarding compressor or equalizer, it depends on what end result you want - play original sound or change it somehow.

I got it. In the future, I think would be fantastic if you add some presets, because it's too hard to set an equalizer due to the internet's delay. Thanks.

I got it. In the future, I think would be fantastic if you add some presets, because it's too hard to set an equalizer due to the internet's delay. Thanks.
You can install desktop RadioBOSS to test the Equalizer (it also has some presets), once you find the settings that suit you, set the same values in RadioBOSS Cloud.

Back