flexible time with categories and playlist generation

derek

It is possible to get playlist generator to hang when creating a playlist where combinations of categories could end up longer than the desired duration of a playlist. Lets say, for example, you're running a talk station, and you have multiple segments that need to air with in a given time, but you also have some music scheduled to go between each segment. This could possibly create a situation where the playlist generator never finds a way to match these criteria. So, I propose that we have a flexible time option, so that a song may be sacrificed to make the timing work out. Another use of this flexible option is that the generator could add fewer tracks to a category that was called for during its setup. For example, if I were running an acoustic block, and I wanted 30 minutes of classical music, an ID, and 30 minutes of choral music, that could be a problem given how varied pieces can be. If the classical set ran for 35 minutes before the ID played, with the choral set going for 25, that would solve the problem.

You can limit the total playlist duration - in the main Playlist Generator window, under the Rotation section, there's the option to do that. Latest versions (7.0 and up) have this option improved and Playlist Generator will try to find a better track to closely match the desired duration. In any case, creating of the playlist will stop once the needed duration is reached.

During the Christmas season, I have a stream that plays old time radio content at night, most of these shows last anywhere from 25 to 31 minutes. This feature would make it such that music could fill in the gap between the shows, should one exist. In order to keep things well timed, Sacrificing station promos is not an option, but music between shows is optional. I want to give the playlist generator flexibility as to the amount of music necessary to keep things on target.
How would I do this?

I want to give the playlist generator flexibility as to the amount of music necessary to keep things on target.
How would I do this?
Set the desired duration; add a category with "sweeper" tracks and playlist generator will try to find a track from there to fill the required amount of time. E.g. you can have a rotation like 1. Show 2. Sweeper

Back