Input Buffer Setting

hkypuk6

First off what are the default settings for DirestSound Input prebuf and the WASAPI Input buffer?  I've changed mine.  Is it 0.090 for DirectSound and 0.020 for WASAPI?

Secondly, how should I read those numbers in Seconds?  This question may sound dumb, but I have seen, in this forum, where it was stated to set the WASAPI Input buffer to say 5 seconds.  How can that be done?  The scale only goes as high as "1.000" which would be 1-second, in my opinion.  A setting of "0.500", also in my opinion, would be half a second.  Am I reading the numbers wrong? 

Thanks for the clarification!

mike

hkypuk6 said:
First off what are the default settings for DirestSound Input prebuf and the WASAPI Input buffer?  I've changed mine.  Is it 0.090 for DirectSound and 0.020 for WASAPI?
Yes.

hkypuk6 said:
Secondly, how should I read those numbers in Seconds?  This question may sound dumb, but I have seen, in this forum, where it was stated to set the WASAPI Input buffer to say 5 seconds.  How can that be done?  The scale only goes as high as "1.000" which would be 1-second, in my opinion.  A setting of "0.500", also in my opinion, would be half a second.  Am I reading the numbers wrong? 
You're reading the numbers correct. It's usually advised to increase the playback buffer size, not input.

Why are you changing those values by the way - are there any problems with input?

djsoft said:
Why are you changing those values by the way - are there any problems with input?

First off, I'm new with RB.  That should answer a lot of questions! Newbies are good with messing with things for no reason!  At least I am. 

The reason I was changing the values was because it appeared that the audio playing from the LineInput was being delayed when playing through the speakers. It would start out just fine, but it was like the delay would slowly build up. 

Ah, OK, that explains.

Regarding the delay building up - how fast does it build (eg. adds one second every minute)? The sound card you're using for playback and for input is the same physical device? If not, this may happen due to different sample rates cards operate at.

Back