It Would Be Nice To Have Artist/Title Metadata in OPUS/FLAC Streams

Qboy61

It would be a great addition for RadioCaster to add metadata to the OPUS/FLAC streams when used in conjunction with IceCast2 servers.

Qboy61 said:
It would be a great addition for RadioCaster to add metadata to the OPUS/FLAC streams when used in conjunction with IceCast2 servers.
It's a technical limitation on how Icecast sees metadata for those formats. IIRC, it's impossible to implement.

According to the Icecast developers they say that if the metadata is directly encoded in the source stream (I would assume from RadioCaster) the metadata will pass through.  It will not display in the Icecast administrative page but clients will be able to see the metadata.  This is when using Icecast 2.4.99.1 (beta version for 2.5).  This is apparently the agreed upon method for the OPUS codec.  Not sure if FLAC is also this way.

Marvin Scholz at [Icecast-dev] indicated this when I asked the Icecast developers about OPUS metadata.

"For formats like Ogg and FLAC, Icecast has not much to do with the metadata,
the muxer or encoder has to encode the metadata into the stream. Icecast will just forward it to the client and for some formats extract the
metadata to show it in the admin interface and status page."

This is an Icecast V2.4.3 that appears to be passing OPUS metadata.

http://mustafejen.se:8000/stream.opus

try the following and you can see some stream info.

http://mustafejen.se:8000

Qboy61 said:
According to the Icecast developers they say that if the metadata is directly encoded in the source stream
Yes, this is the case. Metadata has to be embedded directly to audio stream, but due to how broadcasting works in RadioCaster (and RadioBOSS) - it's not possible to implement (we'll have to redo all streaming for those formats and that's a lot of work).

Yes, this is the case. Metadata has to be embedded directly to audio stream, but due to how broadcasting works in RadioCaster (and RadioBOSS) - it's not possible to implement (we'll have to redo all streaming for those formats and that's a lot of work).

Hi,

Is this "issue" solved in new Beta version?

I want to transfer locally (via LAN) a lossless stream to my DAB transmitter (it expects an icecast stream, and being within my LAN, bandwidth doesn't matter). But then, metadata is not transferred and DAB transmitter doesn't show current song and so....

If not, which codec with metadata would be an alternative, which uses low cpu and doesn't lose quality? 320 MP3? AAC?

Thanks,

There were no changes made in this regard.

You can use AAC 192+ kbit, this is considered "transparent" meaning there's no (or extremely little) quality loss.

Back