Log csv file

NestorC

• Analyzing the log CSV files, I don't understand what type of CSV they are because they contain null characters (00h).
  • It's not the case with the report generator; those CSV are standard.
  • I'm having issues processing the log CSV, could you explain how they are structured? Could you generate standard CSV without (00h), or simply a text file?
  • By the way, if you view them with a hex editor, you'll confirm what I'm saying.

Here I'm providing you with an example of how the log CSV file looks in hex.
The second image I opened it with Excel and saved it as a comma-delimited CSV file.

Original CSV
1698939333880.png

The new one:
1698939358019.png

And Chat GPT says:

CSV files containing the null character 00h are files in the CSV (Comma-Separated Values) format that include the null character (00h), which is a representation of the null or NULL character in hexadecimal notation. The null character is a control character with a binary value of 00000000. It is not a standard part of CSV files and may be introduced due to encoding or data manipulation errors. These null characters can cause issues when processing or interpreting the data because they do not conform to the standard structure of a CSV file.

Therefore, it's important for CSV files to follow a standard format and not contain null characters or other unexpected characters to ensure proper processing by applications that work with tabular data. If you encounter CSV files containing null characters, you may need to clean or correct these files before processing them to avoid interpretation and data manipulation problems.

Analyzing the log CSV files, I don't understand what type of CSV they are because they contain null characters (00h).
The files are encoded in Unicode so there can be nulls present if you open file in binary viewer. That's how Unicode works.

It's not the case with the report generator; those CSV are standard.
IIRC, it creates CSV in UTF8 encoding, so multi byte characters are only used when they are needed (e.g. for non English letters).

I'm having issues processing the log CSV, could you explain how they are structured?
It has several "Columns" each of them contains different data (time, event name, event type, the last column is XML track information if log entry is about playing a track).

The second image I opened it with Excel and saved it as a comma-delimited CSV file.
Excel properly loaded Unicode (UTF16) CSV file and you simply saved it using a different encoding(most likely, UTF8 or Ansi).

Back