Networking

Shameer

Hello RB Admin,

After Constant usage of radio boss and all the amazing tools that it offers i have come to the conclusion that RB needs to be fully networked in some way so that all information that is gathered from On Air machine can be pulled to a production Machine, for example play Count and the report generating tools are fantastic however in order to access this information i have to do so using the on Air play out machine i would love if all this information can be gathered from a production machine instead, whilst the report generating tool is self explanatory the play count helps when the PD is setting up the next days or weeks playlist.

Hope you understand my Ramblings

Shameer Ali 

Report Generator will be improved and won't need access to the original files to create a report (it will only need the .csv report files).

For the networking, most people achieve it by using NAS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage
The idea is simple: you mount NAS on all PC's using the same drive letter. This way you have all the files accessible from any of the computers using the same path.

Hello Dimitri,
I understand The NAS setup very well that is what i currently have in place so all RB installation read the same music library database, what i am talking about is the ability to connect with actual on air machine (not using remote desktop) in a sense be able to manipulate the event scheduler from a production machine, be able to pull the play count information for a particular track from the on air machine as well as generate a report from a production machine basically what i am speaking about is a more integrated approach to manipulate RB and not the almost stand alone operation that it is right now, Please don't get me wrong RB is a very powerful software and i would like to see it achieve Uranium status kinda power :) maybe a feature that says Connect to On Air Studio scheduler or something like this, currently my work around is to schedule stuff in a prod machine save that schedule to the NAS and then import that file into the event scheduler in the On Air Studio and like i pointed out recently i get kinda nervous when it takes a while to generate a monthly report using the On Air Machine.

Regards
Shameer Ali

RadioBOSS API will be extended in the future and Web interface will be available to manipulate playlists, scheduler, playback etc. Currently the best way to control it is to use Remote Desktop.

Regarding reports, as I said above in RB 5.0 you will be able to generate reports on another machine - Report Tool won't need access to music files anymore.

Back