Radioboss 6 version run under Linux

djmicbby

Radioboss 6 version run under Linux Hi Why is it not possible to get the radio boss from version 6 under Linux Mint to work? Up to 5.9.4.0 it was still possible! It's a shame that this has been changed! Michael Kopens

Starting with RadioBOSS 6.0 we've dropped Windows XP support, and it now uses new features that became available with Windows Vista and up. It appears that those features do not present in Linux.

It's a shame that this has been changed!
It's not a shame, because it never was a feature. Don't blame the author for a nice, but unofficial side effect.
RadioBOSS is developed for Windows only, and not for Linux machines that reproduces an old Win32 runtime.

You have two options:
  • Use the previous version of RadioBOSS with Linux OS
  • Setup a Windows machine with Windows 10 (older versions not recommended for security reasons)

It's not a shame, because it never was a feature. Don't blame the author for a nice, but unofficial side effect.
RadioBOSS is developed for Windows only, and not for Linux machines that reproduces an old Win32 runtime.

You have two options:
  • Use the previous version of RadioBOSS with Linux OS
  • Setup a Windows machine with Windows 10 (older versions not recommended for security reasons)
Hallo

Wer sagt den, das ich den Autor, in die Verantwortung ziehen will? Finde den Fehler! Es war eine Frage, warum es nicht mehr möglich ist den Radioboss unter Wine auf einen Multi Boot Rechner mit Linux zum laufen zu bewegen. Ganz einfach oder?

Starting with RadioBOSS 6.0 we've dropped Windows XP support, and it now uses new features that became available with Windows Vista and up. It appears that those features do not present in Linux.
Thanks for the answer. Ok that is to be understood. I have an older version of the radioboss 5.9 .... running .. This runs Tadelos under Linux Mint. But it would have been great that my latest radio boss version 6.0 ...... would also run .. But that's OK .. Was a question
with friendly greetings
djmicbby

Wer sagt den, das ich den Autor, in die Verantwortung ziehen will? Finde den Fehler!
I found the fault: You used the word "shame".

On the other hand: I've explained the situation additional to Dmitry and shown you two alternatives to run RadioBOSS. I see, that you've chosen one. All fine.

So be factual.

Stay safe,
Sebastian

(PS: Auch wenn wir uns beide durch radiosendungen.net kennen und deutsch sprechen, sollten wir hier im Forum englisch benutzen.)

This runs Tadelos under Linux Mint. But it would have been great that my latest radio boss version 6.0 ...... would also run
If you run it under emulation like Wine or Crossover you should ask emulator's authors to implement the features to match Windows 7 API. We've dropped Windows XP support because it's becoming increasingly more expensive to keep it working. Even Microsoft had dropped Windows XP - and it's with the resources they have.

If you run it under emulation like Wine or Crossover you should ask emulator's authors to implement the features to match Windows 7 API. We've dropped Windows XP support because it's becoming increasingly more expensive to keep it working. Even Microsoft had dropped Windows XP - and it's with the resources they have.
Hello
It's Ok..

Maybe it would be good to develop a Linux version. 90% of the code is already written. It would probably only have to adapt access to libraries (and most already have versions for Linux) and retouch the graphic interface. I think we would be licensed customers that we would use the Linux version, since the Windows system is increasingly problematic

Maybe it would be good to develop a Linux version. 90% of the code is already written. It would probably only have to adapt access to libraries (and most already have versions for Linux) and retouch the graphic interface. I think we would be licensed customers that we would use the Linux version, since the Windows system is increasingly problematic
What are the problems with Windows? We tested RadioBOSS and it works until we turn it off or restart. What problem is going to be solved by using Linux?

What are the problems with Windows? We tested RadioBOSS and it works until we turn it off or restart. What problem is going to be solved by using Linux?
All problems. Windows worked well until Windows 7. From Windows 10: problems with drivers, problems with updates, compatibility problems of certain applications. Functions that are not used but that slow down the system and make you waste time trying to disable them. They prevent you from any "downgrading" option by removing the drivers for versions prior to Windows 10, on new computers. As much as I can, I'm trying to migrate my computers to Linux, but I always encounter programs like Radioboss, which have an incomprehensible "love" for Windows and which resist developing a version for Linux (or at least that works in linux via Wine). I understand that with the tools available for development it is easier to develop applications for Windows, but since most develop with C or C++, 90% of the code ends up being the same. So I don't understand that "custom" of making programs only for Windows, when Windows is losing its space like the prevailing system. Windows is no longer an operating system, Windows is now a Microsoft experiment laboratory, which users suffer from.

Sorry if text is not well written. I am translating, directly from Spanish to English, with Google Translator.

All problems. Windows worked well until Windows 7. From Windows 10: problems with drivers, problems with updates, compatibility problems of certain applications. Functions that are not used but that slow down the system and make you waste time trying to disable them. They prevent you from any "downgrading" option by removing the drivers for versions prior to Windows 10, on new computers. As much as I can, I'm trying to migrate my computers to Linux, but I always encounter programs like Radioboss, which have an incomprehensible "love" for Windows and which resist developing a version for Linux (or at least that works in linux via Wine). I understand that with the tools available for development it is easier to develop applications for Windows, but since most develop with C or C++, 90% of the code ends up being the same. So I don't understand that "custom" of making programs only for Windows, when Windows is losing its space like the prevailing system. Windows is no longer an operating system, Windows is now a Microsoft experiment laboratory, which users suffer from.

Sorry if text is not well written. I am translating, directly from Spanish to English, with Google Translator.
VERY STRANGE....I USE WIN10
HERE IT WORKS NORMALLY.

From Windows 10: problems with drivers, problems with updates, compatibility problems of certain applications.
This is not true. It was like that couple of decades ago, in Windows 98 times, before all Windows OSes migrated to NT core.
Presently, Windows works very well, especially modern ones. We have couple of servers with Windows 2016 that run for 3+ years non stop, modern 2022 versions are also good and not a single problem with them. Desktops with Windows 10, Windows 11 also can run here for extended periods of time (we test RadioBOSS on them), it can easily be left running for a year or more with no problems, we test RB stability this way, and also Windows is ended up being tested.
The problems you describe seem to come from either bad/faulty hardware, or odd software. Windows has bugs, but there are few, and stability is definitely not an issue there.

Migrating code to Linux is not really an option. A lot of code in RadioBOSS written in Windows specific way, heavy usage of Win32 API etc, while it'll be possible to create nix version, commercial side of things doesn't seem too bright.

They are not going to convince me how good Windows is. Each computer is a world, and according to its nature it responds better or worse.
But let's try to be positive. I understand that it is a lot of work for you to make a version for Linux. But what they can try to do is a version adapted to work with 'Wine'. Basically it would be a version with the features of versions 6.X but with the GUI of versions 5.X. They can test compatibility with 'Playonlinux' which allows you to install multiple versions of 'Wine' and test them one by one. And of course, that it can work with the license key of version 6.X (I say that because I tried to activate an installation of version 5.9 in WINE and it didn't allow me).

Personally, I would rather see DJSoft invest their efforts in continuously improving the functionality of RB, introducing new features and enhancements to the scheduling system, rather than contemplating a move to a different platform. From a business perspective, I think such a move would be an error.

But what they can try to do is a version adapted to work with 'Wine'.
The core problem here is that RadioBOSS uses newer Windows API features that are not supported in Wine. Before version 6, we maintained active support for Windows XP (and, as a result, Wine) but it was more and more effort, while Windows XP usage continued to decline - at some point, there was no more reason in keeping Windows XP support(1).
So, we dropped Windows XP support in RadioBOSS v6 - and, as a side effect, it also stopped working on Wine. It will start working, eventually, as Wine evolves - when they implement new Windows functions.

(1) - as a side note: even supporting older Windows versions means certain amount of work. Linux will require much, much more.

Personally, I would rather see DJSoft invest their efforts in continuously improving the functionality of RB, introducing new features and enhancements to the scheduling system, rather than contemplating a move to a different platform. From a business perspective, I think such a move would be an error.
Agreed, and this is how we see it here too. Lots of time and effort will be spent adapting RadioBOSS to Linux, with no real benefit in terms of new features. And it's not only one-time price, this means any new code will also need to be written in portable way, meaning extended development times.

The core problem here is that RadioBOSS uses newer Windows API features that are not supported in Wine. Before version 6, we maintained active support for Windows XP (and, as a result, Wine) but it was more and more effort, while Windows XP usage continued to decline - at some point, there was no more reason in keeping Windows XP support(1).
So, we dropped Windows XP support in RadioBOSS v6 - and, as a side effect, it also stopped working on Wine. It will start working, eventually, as Wine evolves - when they implement new Windows functions.

(1) - as a side note: even supporting older Windows versions means certain amount of work. Linux will require much, much more.

Agreed, and this is how we see it here too. Lots of time and effort will be spent adapting RadioBOSS to Linux, with no real benefit in terms of new features. And it's not only one-time price, this means any new code will also need to be written in portable way, meaning extended development times.
So it must be deduced that we renounce the possible customers who use Apple computers and, of course, Linux users. As a topic of debate: you have concluded that 99% of broadcasters use windows as an operating system. Of that 99%, the majority use windows 10 or windows 11. Let's suppose we do a market study. The conclusions will probably be that the majority use Windows. But, if 30% will use Linux or Apple, wouldn't it be worth reaching that market niche?
I believe that if licenses are legally purchased, they are income and, therefore, a benefit for the future development of Radioboss. All the effort and work is worth it, if it results in an increase in customers and users.

But, if 30% will use Linux or Apple, wouldn't it be worth reaching that market niche?
Most software on Linux is free, so even if there is 30% market share (which is not true for desktop systems, the share is lot less in reality), few people will convert to paying customers.
As for Mac, doing it right (the Mac way) means having a separate Mac version, with a different UI - again, this is a huge amount of work, which I'm not sure will pay off (even if we take into account that Mac users are OK to pay for software).
There's RadioBOSS Cloud that works on every platform. Maybe we'll create a new version for Mac, some sort of simplified RadioBOSS variation (it's definitely not possible to port everything in RB quickly).

If you can't develop a version of Radioboss for Linux, I recommend selling licenses for 5.X versions (and allowing licenses for 6.X versions to be used in 5.9 too), to avoid the only alternative to using Radioboss on Linux, either using the hacked program or illegally.

Back