Removing Expired Promos from a Track List

Dmitry,

It's been a while since I posted a message here and that is because RadioBOSS is running very well for us. 

BRAVO !

Here is a situation we are trying to resolve.

We use playlists to store our station IDs, other playlists to store show promos, and other playlists to store promos for upcoming (social) events in town.  These playlists are generally put to air using the Track List feature and tracks are rotated in order (not random).

We like to do our preparation work so that the audio promos are scripted, recorded, edited and scheduled well in advance so it happens automatically and on time.  We cannot be there to insert and remove promos manually all day every day - so that's why we do it in advance.

For us the ideal situation would be to load promos into a playlist a week or two in advance and have some automatic smart feature control what goes to air based on a start date and finish date for each track.

Is there a way of doing that now ?

Can that be a feature in the future ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

radiodungog said:
It's been a while since I posted a message here and that is because RadioBOSS is running very well for us. 

BRAVO !
That's great, good to know!

radiodungog said:
We use playlists to store our station IDs, other playlists to store show promos, and other playlists to store promos for upcoming (social) events in town.  These playlists are generally put to air using the Track List feature and tracks are rotated in order (not random).

We like to do our preparation work so that the audio promos are scripted, recorded, edited and scheduled well in advance so it happens automatically and on time.  We cannot be there to insert and remove promos manually all day every day - so that's why we do it in advance.

For us the ideal situation would be to load promos into a playlist a week or two in advance and have some automatic smart feature control what goes to air based on a start date and finish date for each track.

Is there a way of doing that now ?

Can that be a feature in the future ?
Have you tried doing this from the Playlist Generator? You can create a template which will generate a base playlist for you to work on...

Dmitry,

That won't work.

Example:

1.  We have 20 audio files for upcoming events in town

2.  We load them into a Track List

3.  Of the 20 audio files only 5 of them are relevant for this week - so we only want those 5 to play

4.  RadioBOSS Track List has no way to identify which 5 of the 20 audio tracks should be played

5.  Currently we have to manually add and delete audio tracks in this Track List to suit what needs to go to air each day or week.

6.  We wanted some way of it happening automatically

Make sense ?

Jamie C.

In this case, it will be better to make different folders for each week, and use the Track List for each of those folders.

Dmitry,

Yes good idea but it is slightly more complicated than that in real life.  Town events can happen on any day of the week so to make the community notice board sound professional we need to remove promos at midnight on the day they are held.  And that is too difficult to do manually.

I will have to make a series of 8 community noticeboard Track Lists / Playlists and use the RadioBOSS scheduler to call a DOS batch file to run the correct one each day.

cnb_monday
cnb_tuesday
cnb_wednesday
cnb_thursday
cnb_friday
cnb_saturday
cnb_sunday
cnb_today

The DOS batch file will run at 23:50 each night and copy the contents if the cnb day name into the cnb_today file and our regular scheduler settings will put it to air as normal.

That means that I will have to preload all 7 of the cnb day files in advance manually.

I can do this because there is no other way to do it.

Thanks,  Jamie C.

radiodungog said:
Dmitry,

Yes good idea but it is slightly more complicated than that in real life.  Town events can happen on any day of the week so to make the community notice board sound professional we need to remove promos at midnight on the day they are held.  And that is too difficult to do manually.

I will have to make a series of 8 community noticeboard Track Lists / Playlists and use the RadioBOSS scheduler to call a DOS batch file to run the correct one each day.

cnb_monday
cnb_tuesday
cnb_wednesday
cnb_thursday
cnb_friday
cnb_saturday
cnb_sunday
cnb_today

The DOS batch file will run at 23:50 each night and copy the contents if the cnb day name into the cnb_today file and our regular scheduler settings will put it to air as normal.

That means that I will have to preload all 7 of the cnb day files in advance manually.

I can do this because there is no other way to do it.

Thanks,  Jamie C.
You can use the same location for all promos. You can add in tag at comments the day: "cbn_monday" for all promos wich have to be played in that day. Create events wich use PGPro to add in specific day promos with comment for that day. Create .bat file wich just delete old promos. That's all.

There's already a "Disable track" feature - I think it can be extended to also have Start and End dates, and those dates can be used by Playlist Generator and Track List to select tracks. The feature will be added in one of the future versions.

Dmitry, Pety,

Those are interesting options.  Thanks ...

We use a special format for the files names for all adverts, community announcements and promos.  Here are typical examples:

1.  20150525_Dungog_RSL_Stunned_Mullet_Band_01_30s_JC

2.  20150526_CSA_Wallarobba_Hall_Dinner_01_20s_BS

3.  P20150501_Dungog_Tyre_Service_01_30s_CS

4.  P20150501_CSA_Dungog_Community_Centre_01_15s_JC

The first number string is a date where

a)  20150526 is an expiry date format for when the audio file needs to be removed

b)  P20150501 is a start date format for when a "perpetual" (never expires) audio file is voiced and added

Other numbers and letters in the string refer to things like:

1.  Advertiser or promoter

2.  Description of file subject

3.  Sequence or serial number for version of audio file  (example 01, 02, 03 etc.)

4.  Length of audio file in seconds  (example 30s = 30 seconds)

5.  Initials of person that voiced the audio file  (example JC, BS, CS)

Putting the start date and end date in the meta data comment tag and using PGPro to create the daily Track List / Playlist is a very good option

Thanks,  Jamie C.

radiodungog said:
Putting the start date and end date in the meta data comment tag and using PGPro to create the daily Track List / Playlist is a very good option
Yes, I think some people could find it useful. For now I've assigned it to RadioBOSS 5.4.

radiodungog said:
Dmitry, Pety,

Those are interesting options.  Thanks ...

We use a special format for the files names for all adverts, community announcements and promos.  Here are typical examples:

1.  20150525_Dungog_RSL_Stunned_Mullet_Band_01_30s_JC

2.  20150526_CSA_Wallarobba_Hall_Dinner_01_20s_BS

3.  P20150501_Dungog_Tyre_Service_01_30s_CS

4.  P20150501_CSA_Dungog_Community_Centre_01_15s_JC

The first number string is a date where

a)  20150526 is an expiry date format for when the audio file needs to be removed

b)  P20150501 is a start date format for when a "perpetual" (never expires) audio file is voiced and added

Other numbers and letters in the string refer to things like:

1.  Advertiser or promoter

2.  Description of file subject

3.  Sequence or serial number for version of audio file  (example 01, 02, 03 etc.)

4.  Length of audio file in seconds  (example 30s = 30 seconds)

5.  Initials of person that voiced the audio file  (example JC, BS, CS)

Thanks,  Jamie C.
Great ideas !

Back