Silence detector command

BN-Julian

Hey Dmitry,
can you please add the possibility to change the time (and all the other parameters) of silence detector via command?

BN-Julian said:
Hey Dmitry,
can you please add the possibility to change the time (and all the other parameters) of silence detector via command?
Probably - I'll add it to the request list for the future.

I've been thinking about the silence detection and feature request - can you make it so commands can be triggered on silence rather than just playing a playlist?

This would make the silence detector almost limitless in what you want to happen when silence is detected, no?

For example: I have a playlist which only contains line input - if silence is detected, I may want more actions to be performed other than playing an aux playlist, such as running a batch file outside of RadioBoss to send a SMS and/or turn the scheduler back on (if it's off etc).

Thanks!

You can create a playlist with a command (use the Playlist->Add command menu) and save it. Then make silence detector start this playlist on silence.

Excellent! Had not thought of doing it like that, but I can see a potential issue:

If you wanted it to run a command (1. In playlist), then load another playlist (2. in playlist) if you have shuffle on this order would not be followed?

Thanks

eddr said:
If you wanted it to run a command (1. In playlist), then load another playlist (2. in playlist) if you have shuffle on this order would not be followed?
There's still a way to execute a command first and then load some random tracks (although, it's not really obvious, and requires some setup):
1. Create playlist template in Playlist Generator Pro, the template will be responsible for loading random tracks: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/using_playlist_generator_pro.htm
2. Create a playlist for Silence Detector with two elements:
- the command that you want to execute
- another command to load random tracks: generate [pro] PRESETNAME (in the example, PRESETNAME is the name of the preset you created on the step one).

Hey,

This makes perfect sense and actually would fit in really well with what I need to do (I think).

So even though 'shuffle' mode will be on it won't cause any issue?

Thanks

Hello,

I got round to testing this and it has a very bad result :( It starts looping as soon as the playlist is loaded (chosen for on silence detection) and causes RadioBOSS to hang. This may be something you want to look into to prevent it happening as it completely locked up my test machine when doing this, and in the end had to reset it!

Regards
Edd

Can you please provide more information on what you were doing and what happened? Please note that it's not possible for RadioBOSS to hang the entire system - if your computer required reset, then it looks like driver or hardware failure.

I guarantee it is possible and it happened - RadioBOSS got caught in a loop after following what you said - i think it flips between running the "run" command and running the generate [pro] command.

This is what I did:
1) Created a playlist in playlist generator called "random" which contained a folder of 6 files.
2) Tested just the 'generate [pro] random' command on its own - worked ok (although i did expect the command itself to be removed from the playlist).
3) Created a playlist called "silence" - directed the silence detector at this. This playlist had:
  1-run notepad.exe
  2-generate [pro] random
4) Caused silence detector to trigger
5) RadioBOSS becomes unresponsive

Let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks
Edd

What action do you have for silence detector? I suppose what happens is that it infinitely runs notepad.exe and playlist generator in a loop, and eventually the system hangs when its resources are depleted.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening!

The option I have on silence detector is "load aux playlist" & "always load if main empty".

Regards
Edd

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how and if this should be fixed. Technically, everything's correct :) (yes, this sounds weird). It detects silence, attempts to do something, it's taking too long, it then detects silence again and process repeats... I'd say that generating a playlist on silence (especially using a complicated, time consuming template) is not the way it's designed to work. I suggest using a fixed playlist instead.

RadioBOSS 5.5 will have commands to control silence detector, so in your case you may be able to wrap the "auxiliary" playlist with commands to turn silence detector on/off.

No problem. I understand, it's a tricky one  ;D

Maybe the simplest 'fix' is to implement an option which when turned on, resets the timer (counting duration of silence) when the aux playlist is loaded?

eddr said:
Maybe the simplest 'fix' is to implement an option which when turned on, resets the timer (counting duration of silence) when the aux playlist is loaded?
This case is too specific so adding a new configuration option is not a good solution, sorry.

I suggest generating playlist in advance and save it to a file - use a scheduled event with the run command: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/plgen_command_line_interface.htm

E.g.
run PlaylistGeneratorPro.exe -preset=MyPreset -out=C:\playlist.m3u8
(you can schedule this event to repeat every hour)

Then use the C:\playlist.m3u8 playlist for silence detector (or use another playlist that links to this playlist), in your case, instead of

1-run notepad.exe
  2-generate [pro] random

use

1-run notepad.exe
  2-C:\playlist.m3u8

Back