playing a new file first

callinger

V.5.7.2
I have a folder with 10 episodes of a program. I want RB to play them once a day in order except when I add a new file to the folder. At that time I want the new file to be played first, then, on the next day, go back to playing the files in order until a new episode is added again.
What is the best way to do this? If I give new files (files played less than 1 time) a high priority will that do it? when I tried this I got an access violation error so I did something wrong. Thank you.

I'm not sure of the best way to achieve this as it appears to be something that RadioBOSS doesn't really support.

RadioBOSS allows selecting a newest (by creation date) file from the folder. You can copy the initial 10 files so that the first episode will be the newest one - e.g. copy 10th episode to the folder, then 9th, ... first is copied last. When you add a new file, it will have the newest date and will be selected to play.

To configure this, create a scheduled event, use the wizard, choose "Play one track from a playlist or folder", click Next, select "Select one track from a playlist or folder". Set the folder, selection - "Newest" and check the "Delete file from disk after playback".

Please note that it will delete the file from a disk. Deleting a file is required to make it select the next episode on the next run.

Thank you for your reply. If I choose "Delete File from Disc after playback" I will end up with an empty folder eventually? Why can't I create an event that plays one track from a folder and set the priority to "increase by 50 for tracks where playcount equals MIN"?
Every time I try to do this it doesn't work or I get an error message. What am I doing wrong? I am very anxious to make this work so we can replace our current automation program which is too complex and NOT user friendly. Thank you again. -CA

callinger said:
Every time I try to do this it doesn't work or I get an error message. What am I doing wrong?
There should be no error messages. Please try the most recent version: http://dl.djsoft.net/beta/radioboss_beta_5.8.0.6.exe (it is beta version, but it's OK to use)
If it still shows error messages, please click Help->Contact support->Send bug reports, we'll see what's wrong there.

Thank you. I have installed 5.8.0.6
I am no longer getting the access violation error message but I have not yet gotten RB to play the track with the lowest playcount first. It seems to be random. If I set the priority rules to "Increase priority by 50 for tracks where playcount is equals MIN" will that guarantee that the lowest playcount track will be played next or will it just increase its odds?

As a track is just added, you can try priority rule "playcount equals 0" (instead of min). And increase priority by 100. This will only increase (significantly) the chance for new tracks to be inserted, while still does not guarantee that this will be the case.

Using the approach with scheduled event where files are deleted should perform best for this.

Thank you again. I cannot choose to delete the files since I want them to continue to be available to be re-played in the future. Even if i can only "significantly improve" the chances of the new file being played first, I can accept that. However,

no matter what I do RB plays the 1st file from the folder, regardless of playcount. Clearly, I am missing a step in the playlist generation process. here is my goal:

- generate a playlist each day to play one file from a certain folder based on the following priority: if play count equals 0, play that specific file. Otherwise, play a file at random. I have the priority as: "Increase priority by 100 for tracks where playcount equals 0".
- in PG settings I have checked: "use last played tag" and "read additional file info..."
- in "structure", "tracks" I have "track selection: In Order", "Start position: 1" "Advance on each generation = checked"
-filters = none
- "no repeat" tab = Ignore all "do not repeat" rules = checked
Are these settings correct for my goal?

Ok, I am able to make it work after considerable time playing with the program and learning how playlists and presets and priority rules work. Mostly I did not realize I need to use a preset to generate a new playlist each day, not just use the same playlist once created. It all makes sense now!
For any others trying to do what I need to do (play first any newly added file, otherwise play random) I set 2 priority rules: 1. increase priority by 100 for tracks whose playcount is less than 1.  2. decrease priority by 45 for tracks whose playcount is more than 1. This results in 100% success so far. I'm ready to purchase!

callinger said:
I set 2 priority rules: 1. increase priority by 100 for tracks whose playcount is less than 1.  2. decrease priority by 45 for tracks whose playcount is more than 1.
Nice solution with using priority decrease!

Back