5.1.2.0 - Won't play anything at all upon restart with audio output changed

MrBrawl

Hi all, ran into this incredibly frustrating problem just recently. I've had 5.1.2.0 for some time now without any problems and loved it, but now I can barely use it anymore.

I use RadioBOSS primarily for online DJing. I usually have to wear headphones while DJing, so I use my DAC and amp combo with my headphones. This requires me to change the standard speaker output to the DAC output. I used to never have problems doing this while RadioBOSS was open (used to have to restart to make changes take effect was all), but now, whenever I open the program with the main device not available, I can't play tracks even after plugging it back in and selecting it. It doesn't matter if I start with the usual DAC plugged in or not; I still can't even play tracks. However, I can preview tracks and listen to segues in the Segue Editor when the proper device is selected, even though I still can't actually play tracks with RadioBOSS.

The only work-around I've found thus far was performing a system restore to a point before the problem rose up and making sure I start RadioBOSS with the last-used audio output available. This is very tedious though, and it's becoming increasingly frustrating when I accidentally forget to plug in the proper device/select the proper computer speaker output before loading up RadioBOSS.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Here's a [potato quality] video of this problem in action:
http://youtu.be/23PGF2hdQoU

You say that it didn't happen before, but started for some reason. The solution is to find what changed in the system (e.g. a new software was installed). Or you may fresh install your Windows, this will likely get rid of that problem.

Note that RadioBOSS 5.1.2 is pretty old, I'd suggest you to try the latest 5.2.3 or event 5.3 beta.

I understand that it's apparent that a system update or software installation changed something, but I don't want to compromise my system by removing system updates and what-not. That's why I'm wondering if there's any fix other than that to determine the source of the problem. I also do not have a way of fresh installing Windows.

I understand that my version is outdated now, but it's the version I have and am comfortable with, so if there's any way to keep using it, I'd be really grateful.

MrBrawl said:
I understand that it's apparent that a system update or software installation changed something, but I don't want to compromise my system by removing system updates and what-not. That's why I'm wondering if there's any fix other than that to determine the source of the problem. I also do not have a way of fresh installing Windows.
It still looks like something's wrong with your system, and I don't think there's anything can be done from RadioBOSS's part to fix it...

MrBrawl said:
I understand that my version is outdated now, but it's the version I have and am comfortable with, so if there's any way to keep using it, I'd be really grateful.
You can try using the latest version to see if it fixes the problem.

I finally got around to trying the new version and it didn't help one bit. I'm having no luck locating what it could be on my system, seeing as there was no system update that I performed just prior or just after the program stopped working. Any ideas as to what changes in the system could be preventing it from working? Again, there were no updates that I was aware of performed in the time it took from me to take my laptop home from work (was working on a playlist) and then awaken it at home, nor did I install any programs in that time.

Are there any error messages in the log (bottom left corner)? If it fails to initialize the audio device, which seems to be the case, there should be an error message.

Not anymore, no. I used to always get the error message about how the wrong output device was selected, but that was just a matter of plugging in my DAC and selecting it in the drop-down menu in the Settings. Now, no matter what audio device I select, I can't play anything, even after restarted with the proper one selected and available.

MrBrawl said:
Not anymore, no. I used to always get the error message about how the wrong output device was selected, but that was just a matter of plugging in my DAC and selecting it in the drop-down menu in the Settings. Now, no matter what audio device I select, I can't play anything, even after restarted with the proper one selected and available.
OK, that's odd. It means that driver reports that everything was successful, while in fact it's not. What you can try is to use a different driver mode, e.g. WASAPI instead of DirectSound.

I'm afraid a clean Windows installation is the only solution in this case. I don't think its anything wrong with the software, so there's nothing we can do from here...

Back