experiecing as a basic user

jpp

hi there,
i'm a basic user, i don't use 90% of the RB potential, because my goal is music rotation without wasting too much time.
So i use the "playlist" option and build playlist rotations based on "add track list". Usually my option is a folder in random mode.
After experiencing this options for the last 2 months i noticed that i have a lot of songs that are not played, and others have 30 plays or more.
i may be wrong, but i get the feeling that everytime i update the folder it starts a new random, and i update almost every day.
So i changed to "in order" but i got the same feeling.
I've already suggested in other posts that you could implement a separtion artist/song/album for each folder and also add an option for less played tracks,
I was expecting that it would be in your latest beta version, but unfortunetelly it's not, so i'm posting this.
I'm using the beta version just now with the basic options, and had restarted my pc, and artist separation was not correct (see pic)

Since you answered my suggestions were been takin on consideration (wich i most appreciate) do you have a date to implement them?
Thank you,
Jpp

Attachments

• 000config3.JPG
    000config3.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 276
jpp said:
i may be wrong, but i get the feeling that everytime i update the folder it starts a new random, and i update almost every day.
So i changed to "in order" but i got the same feeling.
When the source is changed, it starts anew. The "In order" selection should not be used for this case as you appear to need random music selection.

jpp said:
I've already suggested in other posts that you could implement a separtion artist/song/album for each folder and also add an option for less played tracks
This is possible with Playlist Generator: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/using_playlist_generator_pro.htm
I suggest using it instead of Track List is you need more advanced track selection.

jpp said:
Since you answered my suggestions were been takin on consideration
Can you please specify what feature you mean? All suggestions go to the development queue and depending on various factors, implementation could be almost immediate (if asked during beta version and the feature is minor) and up to 1-2 years if a feature is major and we're not sure if it should be included in the software.

djsoft said:
jpp said:
Can you please specify what feature you mean? All suggestions go to the development queue and depending on various factors, implementation could be almost immediate (if asked during beta version and the feature is minor) and up to 1-2 years if a feature is major and we're not sure if it should be included in the software.

I was refereing to separtion artist/song/album for each folder and also add an option for less played track on the section "add track list".

Abou usimg the playlist generation, i know it could be an option, but i use RadioBoss in my spare time and since i add music  every single day and i want the rotation to take effect immediately, i find the "add track list" option a better tool for my case. Making playlists would require much more time from me.
Since my time limitations, the section "add track list" was the main reason for me to decide buying your software.
After 2 months i know know that your focus is more on a professional way and i'm just a simply user.
I even think you could extend your business by launching a less complicated version for people that plug the computer to listen to their files but can't control the separation of artists or songs. But this is just a point of view ;)

jpp said:
I was refereing to separtion artist/song/album for each folder and also add an option for less played track on the section "add track list".
The "less played track" currently can be achieved using playlist generator only. The Track List feature was intended as a quick way to build a rotation, absed on random track selection from folders, with no sophisticated track selection rules.
If you use Track List to build a rotation, then each track has an even chance of being selected into the playlist. Adding new tracks is perfectly OK, when it selects the next track it can either select newly added track or one of the older tracks, if a track fits the repeat protection rules.

jpp said:
Abou usimg the playlist generation, i know it could be an option, but i use RadioBoss in my spare time and since i add music  every single day and i want the rotation to take effect immediately
This is possible. You can create a playlist template for e.g. 1 hour. Then schedule automated playlist creation every hour using this template, this way it will use newly added tracks every hour. The configuration is no more difficult than using a Track List. The operation once it's configured is the same as you did with the Track List - just add new tracks to folders, remove tracks you don't need, the rest is done by the software.

Please see this page on how to create a template: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/using_playlist_generator_pro.htm

To schedule automatic generation:
http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/automatic_playlist_generation.htm

Once it works, you can add more rules to the template to fine tune it. If you want newly added tracks to appear more often, then priorities feature is what you need: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/plgen-cat3.htm

djsoft said:
jpp said:
...quick way to build a rotation...
...configuration is no more difficult than using a Track List...

There's the key word: "quick". Yes, i want a quick way to build a rotation and i'm using it. I just need to work with files in folders. Fast. Done.
What i ask is for you to add more options to it.
The way you suggest, how many steps more? Besides i have to create a music library to use the playlist generator.

About "dificult"... i never mentioned it and i've read the manual, that's why i started this post writing "i don't use 90% of the RB potential"...
I'm not dumb  ;D i just choose the option you give, and my sugestions are just to improve your product.

I understand that a large part of your clients use RB on a professional way and they have the work hours to be dedicated on the software.
I use it after work as an hobbie, so i got to make the option to make it as faster as i can so i can get a life too

jpp said:
The way you suggest, how many steps more? Besides i have to create a music library to use the playlist generator.
You don't have to create a library. Playlist Generator takes files directly from the folders; there's no need to prepare anything. Just create a rotation, actually it's more or less the same amount of work as using Track List.

Please do not consider Playlist Generator as a tool only for professionals, or something that requires days/weeks to configure - it can be used by anyone and it does not require any special skills, significant learning curve or something like this. Once configured, it simply works and does not ask anything from you. And initial configuration takes minutes, literally. I suggest you to try it.

jpp said:
and my sugestions are just to improve your product.
Track List will be improved with some new selection rules in the future, but this is a major feature and I don't know when it's going to happen. Currently it's planned for RadioBOSS 5.9, first half of 2019, but that's not guaranteed.

djsoft said:
jpp said:
...actually it's more or less the same amount of work as using Track List...

... Currently it's planned for RadioBOSS 5.9, first half of 2019, but that's not guaranteed.

Well i got the idea that i have to create at least a 24h playlist EVERY day, and schedule it... I've already tried it. found it very cool, but since i had the track list option i just put it on hold.
Comparing to what i do, i've already made 2 playlists for different dayparts... made it once and no need to worry no more.
This way the only thing i have to be concerned is to get home, and add new files to the folders, or just move them from folder to folder... Done.

Makes me sad that are no guarantees for the improvments... not even one of them?
Maybe the easiest "less played tracks"? No? Please???  ;D
(I'm willing to test it for you)

jpp said:
Well i got the idea that i have to create at least a 24h playlist EVERY day
There's no need for it. The idea is simple:
1. Create a playlist template, set its duration to 1 hour. Save it.
2. Schedule automatic playlist creation using this template: a single event that is set to repeat every 60 minutes.

This is it :) Then just update your music folders.

It is important - you do not create playlist manually at all (you use the Generate button only to test how it works) - the playlists are crated and launched automatically by scheduled event.

jpp said:
This way the only thing i have to be concerned is to get home, and add new files to the folders, or just move them from folder to folder... Done.
This is how it's going to work no matter what playlist building option you use.

jpp said:
Makes me sad that are no guarantees for the improvments... not even one of them?
There are no guarantees that those improvements will be done in 5.9. Since Track List is the primary feature for playlist building in RadioBOSS Cloud (RadioBOSS and RadioBOSS Cloud share lot of code), it will be gradually improved on regular basis.

What you need is already possible using playlist generator, that's why I suggest you to use it.

Very well... i wiil see what i miss last time i used it.
It's already on my to do list for the weekend :)

If i get doubts on how to do it as you explained. i'll be posting here, ok?
Thank you for your time

hi there!
i was just testing what you told me...
got this message:
Access violation at address 006C4FDC in module 'radioboss.exe'. Read of address 00000068.
what does this means? :s

I started the experience earlier...
The problem is like i told you, i update the folders everyday, and that was not a problem in track list.
The generator makes a playlist, even i use the template.
So when i move files from folders to folders the way is lost and there are errors like these:
- Unable to play! Error code 2 (unable to open the file/invalid server address).
I got 4 of them.
Never happens in track list, if one fails another one from the folder is going to play.

Worst, since i had 4 errors there was not enough music for 1 hour, and it cleared the playlist at the end, and there was nothing to play.

It would only work if the template worked as a playlist, item after item, like it happens in track list.

So this way, i can move files from folders to folders but i can be corrupting the generated playlist and in consequence there is 1 hour that is not what was supposed to be.
Never had this problem with track list. Really hope you improve it, because it's a great tool in RB.

jpp said:
So when i move files from folders to folders the way is lost and there are errors like these:
- Unable to play! Error code 2 (unable to open the file/invalid server address).
I got 4 of them.
Yes, as the playlist is already created, if you later remove the tracks, it will not be able to find that file anymore. If you will only be adding tracks, there wouldn't be a problem, but removing tracks that can be already in the playlist will not work.

jpp said:
Never happens in track list, if one fails another one from the folder is going to play.
This is true, as Track List selects tracks on demand, while Playlist Generator builds a playlist in advance.

jpp said:
Never had this problem with track list. Really hope you improve it, because it's a great tool in RB.
Track List feature will be improved, we have lots of plans for it.

jpp said:
got this message:
Access violation at address 006C4FDC in module 'radioboss.exe'. Read of address 00000068.
what does this means? :s
Please click Help->Contact Support->Send bug reports, this will send the details of an error to us and we'll be able to fix it.

Back