<LINE IN> Time Bomb!

mcurran

One limitation to having to insert a <Line In> command into the Playlist in order to talk live over the broadcast stream, is that if that Line In command is not removed after use, when the Playlist repeats it will hold the Playlist at the next occurrence of the Line In command for however long the duration was that was set when the Input Command was created. 

Many a morning I've returned to my office to find my broadcast station playing dead air for many hours when, during the night, the Line In command came up on the playlist and ran indefinitely! (Because I always set the time on the input command to 00:00!)

Often in the busy transition of talking live over the air, I forget to remove it after use, the command disappears from Playlist view and I forget to remove it, and the Time Bomb has been set!

Is there a workaround, other than to place a time limit on the Insert?  I'm thinking if not, to just make the insert no longer than a few minutes since most talk ups don't last much beyond that.

Or remember to do a Playlist search for Line Input commands using the nifty "Control +F" Search feature! Good luck remembering! 

One of the possible solutions:

Create a schedule event which will never run (eg. set its date in the far future). The event will insert Line.In and that Line.In will be automatically deleted after playback.

When you need to insert Line.in, select this event in the Events list and click Run Now.

Good point except that it's tricky timing this right.

Is there any way to do this so that instead of hitting "Run Now" to insert the far-future scheduled event into the playlist so the <Line In> will go into queue after current selection is playing?

Problem with "Run Now" is that its timing in the queue is critical to occur at close of song before
starting next, and that's tricky - especially if speakers and sound are off!

You don't need timing at all - the only purpose to have an event is to automatically delete Line.In from the playlist.

First picture has an example event attached - note that "Run scheduled launch without waiting" is off and the event has startup date somewhere in year 2099.

When you select this event in the list and click Run Now, a Line.In entry will be added to the playlist - please see the second picture. As you see, line.in is inserted in the playlist and will be played after current track is finished.

After you play Line.In, it will be removed from the playlist and wouldn't cause you any trouble in the future.

Attachments

• 9-2-2013 5-50-57 PM.png
    9-2-2013 5-50-57 PM.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 9-2-2013 5-53-14 PM.png
    9-2-2013 5-53-14 PM.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 475
When I do this, though, the Line In comes up and then is gone instantly. then it moves on to the next item in the playlist. Is there a way to set the length?

Back