need a normalisation plug

mikenico

Hi folks when playing my playlist  whiles broadcast  I get many complaints of songs being diff volumes which I can relate to is there a plug in that I can place in radio boss to normalise all the tracks being played, this would be a great help, just list the link if there are any out there

I like this to be inbedded in radio boss as a plug in rather than a seperate prog.

thanks folks

mikenico

You can use from FX tab two great tools:
  • Compressor,
  • AutoAmp AGC.
With Compressor just compress sound track level of tracks wich have louder level and AutoAmp AGC increase volume level of all those tracks wich have lower volume.
In my system it works excellent.

Attachments

• _Compress_AutoAmpGain.jpg
    _Compress_AutoAmpGain.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 646
Pety,

Thanks, those image settings are very useful.  Do you use both the Compressor and the Autoamp AGC at the same time ?  Do you use the settings shown on the images ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

radiodungog said:
Pety,

Thanks, those image settings are very useful.  Do you use both the Compressor and the Autoamp AGC at the same time ?  Do you use the settings shown on the images ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.
Yes, I use both with those settings. You can adjust settings for your need.
Also Replay Gain must be turned off.

Attachments

• _ReplayGain_Off.jpg
    _ReplayGain_Off.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 558
You're welcome.
Another usefull tool is MIC Compressor.
It is great.

Attachments

• _mic_compressor.jpg
    _mic_compressor.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 637
pety said:
With Compressor just compress sound track level of tracks wich have louder level and AutoAmp AGC increase volume level of all those tracks wich have lower volume.
I'll add that AutoAmp AGC can increase and decrease the volume (not only increase). There's a little improvement planned for AutoAmp: different rate/delay settings for increasing and decreasing the volume. Compressor is pretty aggressive, it can soften the music too much...

djsoft said:
pety said:
I'll add that AutoAmp AGC can increase and decrease the volume (not only increase). There's a little improvement planned for AutoAmp: different rate/delay settings for increasing and decreasing the volume. Compressor is pretty aggressive, it can soften the music too much...
I tested both. I saw that in combination is a better result.

Dmitry, how do you set AutoAmp AGC when there are big sound level differences betwen tracks? Let's say that there are some tracks with a volume by +6db, +12db and some other tracks with about -15, -25 db. What settings will you have in AutoAmp AGC?

Hard tests again !
The best results is with both: Compressor and AutoAmp AGC.

AutoAmp AGC alone doesn't compress the sound.

pety said:
It compressed the sound, it just does it pretty slow :)

pety said:
Dmitry, how do you set AutoAmp AGC when there are big sound level differences betwen tracks?
That's what "Pre-scan tracks..." option in AutoAmp for - it scans the track and sets the starting level, so even if tracks have big difference in volume level, it should be handled.

djsoft said:
pety said:
It compressed the sound, it just does it pretty slow :)

pety said:
Dmitry, how do you set AutoAmp AGC when there are big sound level differences betwen tracks?
That's what "Pre-scan tracks..." option in AutoAmp for - it scans the track and sets the starting level, so even if tracks have big difference in volume level, it should be handled.
Dmitry, I tell you that I made a test and I recorded the tracks played in RB with Compressor and AutoAmp. All tracks played with AA AGC were with clips (sound distorted). But with Compressor the result was excellent. And the Ratio from compressor is low and that means that is a low compression. A 10:1 is almost Limiter not Compressor and I use 2:1 - 3:1 wich is a soft compression.

To avoid clips in AutoAmp you can set the target level to e.g. -3dB. I agree on compressor, I think I'd advice this setup to customers who ask about this.

thanks for all the replies, but I just want this on all the songs being played auto, unless am getting this wrong and dont understand, I just want something that would normalize all the tracks in the playlist that going to be broadcasted, I did have a winamp plug in that did this but cannot find it

mikenico said:
thanks for all the replies, but I just want this on all the songs being played auto, unless am getting this wrong and dont understand, I just want something that would normalize all the tracks in the playlist that going to be broadcasted, I did have a winamp plug in that did this but cannot find it
You can use mp3gain tool and ReplayGain setting.

This is what I use that seems to work well...maybe someone else can try it and see what they think.  I do not use the compressor, but instead use sound solutions dsp plugin 1.31b.  It has many presets available all over the internet.  I do use Autoamp on with the settings pety posted.  I also used mp3 gain on all the mp3s.  There are some editing software that can do normalization on an individual song one at a time.  Audacity is a free one.  Maybe someday someone can write some software that can normalize flac, wav, mp3 and ogg all. 

I found that using Sound Solutions Dsp plugin that it does not use a lot of cpu overhead and cause computers to hang as some others have.

David

Back