NEW REQUEST FOR NEXT RADIOCASTER

diabolix

Hello, dimitri, apart from the fact that I asked you weeks ago to implement the RTP protocol in radiocaster when possible, please also take into account, if the SRT protocol could also be added, thank you, dimitri

Thank you for the suggestion. The SRT protocol doesn't seem to be popular, and it's also mostly for video - I don't think we'll be adding it in the nearest releases, I'm sorry.

Hello, it is never too early for adding any protocols already used within existing audio chain. RTP sounds like a great idea, but so doe AES67, or even Dante version of AES67. However, as right now I was not able to use a new version of RadioCaster (2.9.0.1) at all. Tried both builds - 32/64. It seems like some sort of an endless loop is taking place while trying to read metadata from txt file. I had to go back to 2.8.0.0.

Once there is enough demand for it - currently it's too early for this.

Thanks Dimitri, although it is never too soon, the more tools and improvements I have radiocaster, the better for you and to fight with the competition when more things are better and if I have to pay to take it, I pay, by the way I resigned another question Also soon take radiocaster, VST version 2 and 3, stereo tool has released new versions with improved plugins vst2 and 3, thanks

Hello, it is never too early for adding any protocols already used within existing audio chain
Adding a protocol is a lot of work, that's why we need to carefully choose what's added.

Tried both builds - 32/64. It seems like some sort of an endless loop is taking place while trying to read metadata from txt file. I had to go back to 2.8.0.0.
Does it show any error messages, or does it freeze?

by the way I resigned another question Also soon take radiocaster, VST version 2 and 3, stereo tool has released new versions with improved plugins vst2 and 3, thanks
Currently RadioCaster supports VST2, the next minor reelase will also add VST support for the x64 version.

Adding a protocol is a lot of work, that's why we need to carefully choose what's added.

Does it show any error messages, or does it freeze?

Adding protocols might not have been so critical before, when audio quality was not so high as it is today. What we are experiencing now is, that feeding RadioCaster via USB/Asio, to be precise (anything USB based) actually does not sound as good as we used to think. May be the reason is that USB - contrary to popular believe is not really a digital transport. (Many people call USB just a hybrid, or an extended serial port). That's one of the reasons why readiness for additional streaming protocols is so important. Easiest way to prove the point, would be to use a hardware streamer fed with AES, or even decent balanced or pseudo-balanced cooper cable and to measure. (Which I did). Beside AES, or RTP, even (really simple) VBAN protocol seems to be very good option.

It is my experience, that radio world is becoming more complex as before. In many cases, RadioBOSS alone does not need to stream directly anything anymore, since it only plays the playlists to mixer's input, preferably using Dante virtual sound card. Now, when all mixing is done, how do we connect RadioCaster while trying to avoid USB? Although, Dante could be used again, if there was an additional computer available just to run the streamer. Additional computer means another weak point in the chain, plus a significant cost. It would be much cheaper to buy a new version of RadioCaster for a slightly higher price maybe.

-----------------------------------------

As far as the problem with (2.9.0.1) metadata reading goes, nope it does not freeze. Streaming towards all configured distribution points is working. It is just some sort of graphical manifestation. Metadata are appearing at the left upper corner, right bellow "RadioCaster" (menu button) and it keeps multiplying across the whole width of the monitor, even forming lines after reaching the monitor's right edge. And it never stops.

I broadcast over the internet by usb with the usb output of the airmate usb table and it sounds wonderful, that depends on the quality of the songs and the sampling speed that you are taking
Adding protocols might not have been so critical before, when audio quality was not so high as it is today. What we are experiencing now is, that feeding RadioCaster via USB/Asio, to be precise (anything USB based) actually does not sound as good as we used to think. May be the reason is that USB - contrary to popular believe is not really a digital transport. (Many people call USB just a hybrid, or an extended serial port). That's one of the reasons why readiness for additional streaming protocols is so important. Easiest way to prove the point, would be to use a hardware streamer fed with AES, or even decent balanced or pseudo-balanced cooper cable and to measure. (Which I did). Beside AES, or RTP, even (really simple) VBAN protocol seems to be very good option.

It is my experience, that radio world is becoming more complex as before. In many cases, RadioBOSS alone does not need to stream directly anything anymore, since it only plays the playlists to mixer's input, preferably using Dante virtual sound card. Now, when all mixing is done, how do we connect RadioCaster while trying to avoid USB? Although, Dante could be used again, if there was an additional computer available just to run the streamer. Additional computer means another weak point in the chain, plus a significant cost. It would be much cheaper to buy a new version of RadioCaster for a slightly higher price maybe.

-----------------------------------------

As far as the problem with (2.9.0.1) metadata reading goes, nope it does not freeze. Streaming towards all configured distribution points is working. It is just some sort of graphical manifestation. Metadata are appearing at the left upper corner, right bellow "RadioCaster" (menu button) and it keeps multiplying across the whole width of the monitor, even forming lines after reaching the monitor's right edge. And it never stops.

I broadcast over the internet by usb with the usb output of the airmate usb table and it sounds wonderful, that depends on the quality of the songs and the sampling speed that you are taking

Adding protocols might not have been so critical before, when audio quality was not so high as it is today. What we are experiencing now is, that feeding RadioCaster via USB/Asio, to be precise (anything USB based) actually does not sound as good as we used to think.
The protocol used for streaming does not affect audio quality - it's juat a transport layer for audio data. You can stream in FLAC using a 20 year old Icecast/Shoutcast protocol and it will have lossless quality. You can't improve quality any further, it's already at max.

RadioCaster receives audio as PCM data from the device, if you don't have any DSP enabled, it will be broadcasted as is - what sound device gives, is what RadioCaster will stream. Again, streaming protocols have nothing to do with either streaming quality or with processing of the data received from audio devices.

May be the reason is that USB - contrary to popular believe is not really a digital transport
USB is not able to transmit analog audio data. USB is just an interface allowing you to connect a device to the PC. If the device itself is good, it will work the same regardless if it's connected using USB or PCIE or any other means (excluding some corner cases when USB speed is not enough, but that never happens with audio data). Some USB audio cards have audio processing always enabling, e.g. adding echo that can't be turned off, but this is typically the case with the cheapest ones.

Thank you, we'll check if there's a bug.

The protocol used for streaming does not affect audio quality - it's juat a transport layer for audio data. You can stream in FLAC using a 20 year old Icecast/Shoutcast protocol and it will have lossless quality. You can't improve quality any further, it's already at max.
What I meant was how to improve Caster on input side (source) not the output. (I am happy with the output as it is). Input (as right now) can capture playback, we can select sound card input, or network stream. So the whole point was to have RTP, AES, or VBAN as a source. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

This was not clear from the beginning. We have plans on adding RTP as playback/input option for all our software - but I can't tell when this is going to happen.

Back