Playing back Radiocaster Stream

We have just installed Radiocaster and the stream is operating OK.  But when we try to play the stream on the simple player or in WMP, it plays about 3 seconds of audio then comes up with the message "load stall".  When starting play again, the same happens several times until eventually it settles down and plays uninterrupted.  On WMP I notice it only buffers and plays back 10%.  It appears the buffer is not filling completely and the stream gets terminated.  It happens on multiple machines in different lcoations. What can be causing this?  We'd be grateful for any suggestions...

It can be server misconfiguration (e.g. too large or too small buffer, or some sort of network problem). I suggest you to try another server, or try RadioBOSS built-in server - it's in Configuration Wizard when you add an encoder.

Thank you for your prompt response.  This is strange because Radiocaster seems to be connected reliably to your own server (with our Ethnic Broadcasting stream).  It's the replay from your streaming host server that would appear to have the problem!  So would this still be a misconfiguration at our end or at the host?  How can I adjust the buffer in the player?

More information is needed: what is the stream source for RadioCaster, and where it's broadcasting to?

If RadioCaster is used to transcode some other stream, then to test things I'd suggest using other source (capture local sound card playback) - if it works fine, then the problem is with your source stream.

Sorry if I was not clearer - the source is local soundcard, not a stream - we are using RC not RB.  We tried reducing the data stream from 128 to 96kbps and it worked!  We also changed the stream from Shoutcast v1 to v2.  Seems to be stable now.....  :)

I'm glad it works now, although I'm not sure why, 128 or 96 is not much a difference, and protocol also doesn't change much :)

Yes you are right - its possible the internet stream capacity was close to maxxed out because it is shared with a few other office services as present.  Shortly we will transfer the stream to an alternate dedicated internet connection.  The remaining issue I have is how to get the authhash for Shoutcast - is there a guide you can point me to?  We followed the server instructions but so far we do not seem to have generated any authhash! Thanks for your help; the software is cool.

Shoutcast now requires you to register art their web site, there's a link in the Shoutcast server admin panel.

Back