Playing the track from the point where the application crashed.

my64

Playing the track from where the application crashed.
During an unexpected app crash, due to some error, after restarting the radio starts playing always from the same playlist and track.
I think it is correct that the app should, after restarting, start playing the track from the point where the collapse occurred.

I think it is correct that the app should, after restarting, start playing the track from the point where the collapse occurred.
It does that, but depending on what actually crashed and when, it may not work properly. The playback position is saved to, a file. If at the moment of the crash (like power failure) the file was not flushed to the disk (e.g. it still was in the cache) then the contents of the file will be lost.

It does that, but depending on what actually crashed and when, it may not work properly. The playback position is saved to, a file. If at the moment of the crash (like power failure) the file was not flushed to the disk (e.g. it still was in the cache) then the contents of the file will be lost.
Well, perhaps there is a reason to use a procedure to periodically save the data to a file, in case of failure.

RadioBOSS does save the file, it but the file may not be written to the disk immediately by the OS - typically it's written to the cache first, and then it's flushed to the disk. In case of power outage, data (or a part of it) in this buffer is lost.

It's called "Write caching" and is enabled in Windows by default. It also has a warning about data loss - please see the screenshot attached (you can open your drive settings in Device Manager).

Disabling write cache is not a good option, a better solution is to use UPS and also backup RadioBOSS settings, it can be automated using the createbackup scheduler command: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/scheduler_commands.htm

Attachments

• image_2021-05-05_125653.png
    image_2021-05-05_125653.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 197
RadioBOSS does save the file, it but the file may not be written to the disk immediately by the OS - typically it's written to the cache first, and then it's flushed to the disk. In case of power outage, data (or a part of it) in this buffer is lost.

It's called "Write caching" and is enabled in Windows by default. It also has a warning about data loss - please see the screenshot attached (you can open your drive settings in Device Manager).

Disabling write cache is not a good option, a better solution is to use UPS and also backup RadioBOSS settings, it can be automated using the createbackup scheduler command: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/scheduler_commands.htm
a combination of using a createbackup scheduler command and having an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) on the PC works well for me, actually i have 2 ups units in the studio, one for the pc and monitors, and another for the router, phone system, speakers etc. Keeps power on to all devices for at least 10 minutes if the main power goes out. most power outages are only a few seconds (the flickering lights during a heavy storm). or run your RB setup off a laptop that has an internal battery. the tricky things with some routers is that even though you power the router with a UPS, some routers connect to a NID (aka ONT-Demarc) on the outside of your building which also requires power so that also needs a UPS on it. sheesh, i now have 7 ups units around the house, but when the mains power goes out, my house keeps on going.

Back