RadioCaster "Song title" problem

masg1313

I just purchased RadioCaster and am having an issue with sending the "Song title".

I use OtsAV DJ as my broadcast software, however, it only supports v1.9.0 of the SHOUTcast DSP plug-in.

I recently signed up with the new Radionomy Streaming Service and need to send my stream to their DNAS server instead of running my own.  However, since Radionomy's service utilizes the "Stream ID" field, it is necessary to send the stream using a version 2 DSP.

As a workaround, I continued to run my own local server, connected an instance of Winamp to that server and then sent the stream to Radionomy through Winamp using the latest DSP plug-in v2.3.5.

However, after running my own server for several years without issue, it has started to randomly stop working for extended periods of time.  Not sure if my ISP, Time-Warner Cable, is doing something at their end to prevent a server from running.

To get my station back on the air ASAP, I decided to purchase RadioCaster and use it to send the stream to Radionomy.  However, I am having an issue with sending the "Song title".

Since I am not currently running a "Network stream", I am unable to utilize the "Read metadata from stream" option.

The "Use text" option doesn't apply since the title needs to continuously change.

Although OtsAV does create a playlog file, it uses the format YYYY-MM-DD-playlog.txt and creates a new file every day.  Therefore, it does not appear that I would be able to utilize the "Read from file" option.  Is there a way to use a wildcard with the file name so that RadioCaster would read the new file every day?

The last option is "Read from URL".  Since I am not currently able to run my own server, I cannot use my local "/currentsong?sid=1" page URL.  However, I am sending titles to the TuneIn Air API utilizing the "Now Playing Tool for OtsAV".  Is there a way to grab the song title from TuneIn and send that to Radionomy?  What would the URL be?

Since Radionomy requires that the "Song title" be sent to them in order to trigger their Advert: system I need to fix this problem ASAP.

I hope that someone can help me.  Thanks in advance.

Your broadcasting software should have an option to export currently playing track title to a file. Otherwise, you can do a setup like this:
1. Install local Shoutcast v1 and make Ots broadcast to it
2. In RadioCaster settings set this stream as a source and for title select "Read from stream".
3. Set RadioCaster to broadcast to Radionomy servers.

Thanks for the reply.

Ots can only export the currently playing track title to the daily play log file mentioned above which changes its name every day.

I am unable to run a local server at this time as explained above so the second suggestion will not work.

Are there no other solutions for RadioCaster to send the song title based on my setup?

masg1313 said:
I am unable to run a local server at this time as explained above so the second suggestion will not work.
I don't understand how your ISP or anyone else can prevent you from running your local Shoutcast on your PC. When you have local Shoutcast running (and you use IP 127.0.0.1 to broadcast) ISP and Internet connection are not involved. So the solution would be to either set up local Shoutcast v1, or contact Ots authors so they can add "export currently playing track title to a file" feature.

To clarify I was running a local SHOUTcast v2 server not a v1.  It appears that there may be an issue with the v2 software as I have since been able to successfully revert back to a v1 server and use that as the source for RadioCaster.

masg1313 said:
To clarify I was running a local SHOUTcast v2 server not a v1.  It appears that there may be an issue with the v2 software as I have since been able to successfully revert back to a v1 server and use that as the source for RadioCaster.
Shoutcast v2 can crash with no reason (well, there's the reason - software bugs, of course) - we see that on our stream hosting. Some instances run for weeks/months, some crash every day.

I've noticed that when RadioCaster sends the "Song title" info, at least when using the "Read metadata from stream" option, there appears to be a slight delay.

As a result, listeners are having to hear the first second or two of the filler audio of the Advert: file since the "Song title" info is what triggers Radionomy's advert system to switch to the commercial audio.

This also means that the first second or two of the rejoin song is being cut off as well.

In addition, which tends to confirm this delay, I've noticed that the "Song title" info for the shorter station imaging files (of about a second or a less) are not being transmitted by RadioCaster at all.

Is there any way to fix this delay?  Thanks.

If the source is a Shoutcast stream then delays are possible, as metadata is sent at fixed intervals, which may not coincide with songs.

How much the delay is, approximately in seconds?

masg1313 said:
Ok. I've monitored the stream over the last few days and experienced delays of up to 3 seconds.
3 seconds sounds pretty good IMO. The next RadioCaster update will have some metadata-related minor fixes, things will probably become better. Anyway, the titles are usually not synchronized in the streams in the first place (Shoutcast and Icecast servers send metadata at specified intervals, and because of that titles are not 100% synchronized).

Not really.  A listener shouldn't have to listen to 3 seconds of a PSA (or other filler audio) before it abruptly cuts off and switches to a commercial.  Likewise, a listener shouldn't have to miss the first 3 seconds of the rejoin song (especially if there is no fade-in and the vocals get cut off).  It doesn't sound professional.

RadioCaster needs to send the metadata at more frequent intervals or allow for the user to adjust the frequency.

I've added it to our bug tracker, this behavior should be improved in the future updates - thanks for pointing out this issue.

Is there an ETA on the next update of RadioCaster?  Been looking forward to an update for a while now.  Thanks.

Planned to be released this year - I'm sorry I can't give you the exact date as it's unknown.

Back