Replay Gain - Volume Normalization

mcurran

I saw the previous post about Replay Gain being the best way to compensate for the volume differences between Tracks.

I do have Replay Gain checked, but it does not seem to be doing much.

What is the best setting for this to bring all the tracks to the same general level? I see some preamp settings, do these need to be tweaked? 

Some tracks I can hardly hear while other are blasting so am not sure why this would be happening
since Replay Gain is already activated?

ReplayGain tag needs to be present in a music file and when you turn on the ReplayGain feature in RadioBOSS - it will read this tag an use the information provided there to adjust playback level. If there's no ReplayGain tag present - feature does nothing.
You need to scan your music with ReplayGain scanner, some of the scanners are listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain#Scanners

1) Does the scanner software listed automatically analyze for the need for volume normalization, then write the tag accordingly, or does it simply write a tag on all music files that can be used to analyze the track later by RadioBOSS? 

2) Which of the scanner software seems to work best with RadioBOSS? 

1. Those scanners will analyze your music files and add ReplayGain tag to them. RadioBOSS doesn't analyze tracks - it just uses the information provided in the ReplayGain tag.

2. Any should do. Foobar and mp3gain are good.

Dmitry,

A thought ... would it be possible to:

1. Have a small icon or tag at the beginning of the music track title (on the playlist window tab view) to indicate that the track has replay gain tags included.  (A separate column on the playlist window tab would also be suitable)
2. Have that info included in the track information window at the bottom of the playlist window tab view

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Jamie, I think that would be possible - expect this feature in one of the next updates.

Dmitry,

Fantastic - thanks.  Audio normalization is a helpful feature - and probably essential.  Knowing which tracks have it and which do not is a useful bit of information.

Jamie C.

Back