Starting an event with predefined duration

Christian

Hi Dmitry,

I cannot figure out an easy way for inserting an event with a fixed duration.
My need is to play a random track from a directory for a specific duration (ei 2 minutes) then skip to next track.
Let say I use the ad scheduler to insert Ad break . The Ad break has to be exactly 120 seconds independently of the content, 1 advert, 2 adverts, a fill-in file, ? This mean 120 seconds after the start of the Ad break (typically the intro sweeper) RB needs to play the next track in the playlist.
My problem is that I do not know when precisely the Ad break will start as it waits for current playing track to finish before starting the Ad break.
The only thing I can think of is that the Ad break intro sweeper includes a DTMF code that would trigger an external script waiting for 120 seconds then the script calls RB API to play ?next? track in the playlist. Not straightforward!
Do you have another suggestion? Or could you include an even duration limit feature ?

Christian

You may try using the ad scheduler's Sweeper feature, it's located in Settings->Ad blocks->Sweepers.

I know this feature and it helps to extend the duration up to required time. My concern is to switch to next track in playlist in the event the Ad break content gets over 120 seconds.
In other words I want to be able to end the Ad break by playing a medley or an instrumental track for example and at exactly 120 seconds after Ad break started go back to regular playlist content.

Depending on how many ad blocks you have, you can create a "pair" events which will perform the "next" command 2 minutes later...
I've added the "an event with predefined duration" to our to-do list for the future.

Thx for adding the feature.

...you can create a "pair" events which will perform the "next" command 2 minutes later...
I do not know how to create a ?pair? event that will trigger the ?next? command when the event effectively starts and not after it has been scheduled.
The only way I can currently think of is to include a DTMF in the Ad Intro sweeper that will trigger the start of the 120 seconds countdown and then use an API call using: curl http://127.0.0.1:9001/?pass=xxxxxxxxx&action=next

Yes, sorry - when event waits for the current track to finish, creating a "pair" event is not possible... By the way, what is the practical application for time-limited events? If used for adverts, then it potentially can cut off the last few ads which won't make ad publishers happy...

I am in the integration process of Shoutcast DNAS + monetization but keep running  my own DNAS servers  http://www.shoutcast.com/broadcastnow, the green option.
I have to trigger 2 minutes commercial breaks. Not all countries will hear the Ad break inserted by Shoutcast (TargetSpot), the remaining countries will hear the ?normal? stream. I need to provide 120 seconds content in order to hide the Ad break and have a clean transition.

Hello,

I am now broadcasting ads and really looking forward this feature. Do you have any available beta version ? Or when do you think it could be available?

Thx
Christian

Christian said:
  I am now broadcasting ads and really looking forward this feature. Do you have any available beta version ? Or when do you think it could be available?
It's still in the to-do list... I'm not sure if it's going to be added in RB 5.3 yet.

Back