Stats question

aaron.anthony

When I look at curent listeners, it's abysmal. When I click on statistics, it shows a significant number of listeners in the last 28 days. What would cause this, and which is accurate if any?

my stats within RB have always been zero, stat. but my hosting server shows 200+ unique IPs every week.
Seems that the communication between the hosting server and RB is somehow skewed.

The listener stats are the only issue I have with RadioBoss cloud... 1 person can connect & disconnect 100 times and it will show 100 listeners when really you only had 1. I wish it would show unique IP listeners for a more accurate #. Yes they show TLH but when trying to pitch ad sales to clients, they don't understand what that means. They want to know how many listeners.

There are different listener counters in RadioBOSS Cloud.

Current listeners lists the currently connected listeners. This is the people who are connected right now.

Average number of simultaneously connected listeners (the 24 hour, 48 hour, ... tabs) counts the average number of simultaneously connected listeners for each hour/day.

Session counter (in Listeners/Statistics area) shows the number of listener sessions (the number of connections made) and also counts the TLH.

There's no real way to determine if the same IP connection is unique listener or not - there could be one router from which 100's of people connect, all having the same IP. It can also be the opposite - one listener could have different IP address each time s/he connects. Also "unique listener" metric does not say much about the quality - imagine there are thousands of two-second "unique" sessions, looks like lots of unique listeners, but they do not actually listen.

TLH is one of the most important metrics showing how much time people actually listen to the radio. Combined with other metrics you can build some sort of general image of your audience.

I know that's the way it's supposed to work. If I look at listeners over the last month on the listeners tab, i have a grand total of one or two, but if i click on the statistics tab for the same period, it has hundreds. What am I missing? Are you saying even though there's one listener for 30 days, it could be multiple for that IP and hundreds are coming from that IP? Seems confusing.

Hypotetically, if you have one listener connected for 1 hour, then this listener disconnects, another one connects for one hour, disconnects, another connects and so on. You will see 1 (one) listener in "Average number of simultaneously connected listeners" stats, 24 "sessions" and 24 "TLH" in the Statistics tab. If one listener connects and disconnects multiple times, this will increase "sessions".

Hypotetically, if you have one listener connected for 1 hour, then this listener disconnects, another one connects for one hour, disconnects, another connects and so on. You will see 1 (one) listener in "Average number of simultaneously connected listeners" stats, 24 "sessions" and 24 "TLH" in the Statistics tab. If one listener connects and disconnects multiple times, this will increase "sessions".
True, but not likely. It appears im not the only one who's noticed. Any way you could look into it?

1615424511726.png

the first point and the screen shot do not agree. Maybe i am missing something.
the text above says that the mount point must always be /autodj, but the screen shot underneath shows the mount point field to be blank

I know that's the way it's supposed to work. If I look at listeners over the last month on the listeners tab, i have a grand total of one or two, but if i click on the statistics tab for the same period, it has hundreds. What am I missing? Are you saying even though there's one omegle listener for 30 days, it could be multiple for that chatiw IP and hundreds are coming from that IP? Seems confusing.
Wow, this one helps me.
Thanks.

True, but not likely. It appears im not the only one who's noticed. Any way you could look into it?
Can you please specify what you find wrong about it? I have described how the counters work and why the numbers are different. The only thing we can do is to add another way to count listeners, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Can you please specify what you find wrong about it? I have described how the counters work and why the numbers are different. The only thing we can do is to add another way to count listeners, but I'm not sure what it could be.
Click statistics, it shows hundreds have been listening. When clicking the "listeners" tab at the top of the page and select the same time frame, it shows one or two the whole time. I realize the statistics shows sessions, not individuals, but there's too much of a disperity.

Click statistics, it shows hundreds have been listening. When clicking the "listeners" tab at the top of the page and select the same time frame, it shows one or two the whole time. I realize the statistics shows sessions, not individuals, but there's too much of a disperity.
It is what it is. The number of sessions is calculated based on the server logs, so it's the exact number of how many connections were made to the server. The average listener counter works like this: it periodically checks how many listeners are connected, several times an hour. Then it calculates the average number.
There's really nothing we can fix about it. The numbers are calculated the way I described, and they are correct. The average listeners count will be a lot less that the session counter, due to the nature of how those numbers are produced.

There are different listener counters in RadioBOSS Cloud.

Current listeners lists the currently connected listeners. This is the people who are connected right now.

Average number of simultaneously connected listeners (the 24 hour, 48 hour, ... tabs) counts the average number of simultaneously connected listeners for each hour/day.

Session counter (in Listeners/Statistics area) shows the number of listener sessions (the number of connections made) and also counts the TLH.

There's no real way to determine if the same IP connection is unique listener or not - there could be one router from which 100's of people connect, all having the same IP. It can also be the opposite - one listener could have different IP address each time s/he connects. Also "unique listener" metric does not say much about the quality - imagine there are thousands of two-second "unique" sessions, looks like lots of unique listeners, but they do not actually listen.

TLH is one of the most important metrics showing how much time people actually listen to the radio. Combined with other metrics you can build some sort of general image of your audience.
are there any tips (for dummies as I'm brand new to this) for configuration of the listener stats on the 6.2 version? Even though I knew I had listeners for my show, I've never been able to get the listener stats working, it constanly says zero listeners

are there any tips (for dummies as I'm brand new to this) for configuration of the listener stats on the 6.2 version? Even though I knew I had listeners for my show, I've never been able to get the listener stats working, it constanly says zero listeners
It should get the listener numbers if the server uses default configuration. If it needs special configuring of the statistics relay, they should supply you with the instructions so you'll be able to configure stats relay: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/statistic-relays.htm

Back