• English
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Русский
Professional Radio Automation at a price you can afford.Professional Radio Automation at a price you can afford.
RadioBOSS box
RadioBOSS makes automating your broadcast to the world, your business or shop professional, simple, affordable, reliable.

Author Topic: RadioBOSS 4.8 [beta]  (Read 179269 times)

djsoft

• Administrator
    • http://www.djsoft.net
Re: RadioBOSS 4.8 [beta]
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2012, 03:22:50 AM »
dave-t
Yes, it was already reported before - the next release will fix it.

Regarding Monitor sound card - you have to use Main card and then choose to use or not to use the Monitor one. I think program should prevent using monitor when Main device is not selected.
Dmitry  •  DJSoft.Net Team  •  Email: support@djsoft.net

Casey

« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
To night I made some changes to my setup.

For your info here what I changed:

Computer memory from 4GB to 8GB..
No gain here yet still running 32bit Vista - Win7 64 bit upgrade coming in the near future.

Changed transmitters...  whats special or different here is that this is a USB FM transmitter. (gov certified)
The audio & power for this unit are handled on USB. RadioBOSS is using it as the main soundcard.

So now I have 3 soundcards running on RadioBOSS..

FM transmitter - [WASAPI] 2- USB Audio
           Monitor - SoundMax Integrated Audio
           Preview - USB Audio Device

I was a bit concerned about how the microphone would work as it is still using SoundMax Integrated Audio soundcard.
The answer is it work just fine..

RadioBoss survived it all and is working fine!  :)

Casey

dave-t

• For The Music We Have Lived
    • Radio 45 Gold
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »
dave-t
Yes, it was already reported before - the next release will fix it.

Regarding Monitor sound card - you have to use Main card and then choose to use or not to use the Monitor one. I think program should prevent using monitor when Main device is not selected.

I am assuming therefore that I have to add another sound card so that I can listen to track via the music library? I have simple USB sound cards lying around
Regards
Dave

Web:-      www.radio45gold.co.uk
Twitter: - @Radio45Gold

dave-t

• Radio 45 Gold
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2012, 04:12:50 AM »
Hi Casey

The main benefit of Win 8 to me is the "graphical" start menu. I am registered blind and find the large icons much easier than the old style start menu.

Now that I have have had a chance to work with Win8 I find it much easier and have added the control panel and other regularly used programs to the start menu. There are significant performance improvements which is always good.

Start8 does look good so maybe a worthwhile investment.

I was wondering one thing though - what is the smallest processor that RB can run on? I need to think about a back up machine at some point and was wondering if I could get away with an Atom based processor ? My station will be internet based with no presenter

Regards

Dave

Regards
Dave

Christian

« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2012, 06:09:16 AM »

Quote (selected)
Christian:
I am running RB beta 2 than 3 for days now without trouble, I just have be carefull with DTMF it sometime does not detect. Will install beta 4 later

DJSoft:
How often it's unable to detect a tone, and can it be reproduced (eg. it doesn't detect a particular mix)?
Here is the file http://db.tt/zMMuucv4

The issue is that it goes through strereo tools than broadcasted in mp3 at 320kb/s. I than use a second instance of RB (different Windows session) for ad management. It listen to the stream, detect the DTMF and replace by the apropriate audio and broadcast to Icecast to listeners without compression this time.

I use it that way as I expect to run more thant one RB for ad management and this way it only requires one instance of stereotool to save CPU.

Christian

radiodungog

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
Has the time & Weather announcements been included in the latest beta version?

Cheers Gazza

Joshua

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »

Quote (selected)
Joshua
Ability to use DSP for microphone will be added, it's already planned. Should be in one of the 4.8.x updates.

Thanks, nice to hear  :)

Greetz
Joshua

Casey

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
Hi Casey

The main benefit of Win 8 to me is the "graphical" start menu. I am registered blind and find the large icons much easier than the old style start menu.

Now that I have have had a chance to work with Win8 I find it much easier and have added the control panel and other regularly used programs to the start menu. There are significant performance improvements which is always good.

Start8 does look good so maybe a worthwhile investment.

I was wondering one thing though - what is the smallest processor that RB can run on? I need to think about a back up machine at some point and was wondering if I could get away with an Atom based processor ? My station will be internet based with no presenter

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave..

I understand..

A nice big touch screen maybe something for the future.. :)

I'd seen radio station setups running with touch screens... very cool.. (other than the finger prints) 
I wonder how well RB would adapt to touch screens.

Casey

Casey

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
First, I'm still operating in what I call the basic or simple mode. I have not had time to master playlists, yet.. :(

Here is a problem I have noticed, when working in what I call, operator assisted mode..
ie..  Auto mode but from time to time I may use [right click] on song in play list and select [Play next]..

Doing this can cause the Scheduler to missing events

Setup

Running with the Shuffle button engaged, aprox 1100 songs in the list.

When I manually select a song to play next...

- RadioBOSS inserts the scheduled tracks in the playlist (after the current playing track).

- The current song finishes and RadioBOSS skips to the next song you have selected.

- The scheduled track are not played

- These scheduled tracks remain in the play list.

Can RB be made to finish playing the scheduled tracks, before playing the next track selected?

Casey

dave-t

• Radio 45 Gold
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2012, 04:00:29 PM »

I'd seen radio station setups running with touch screens... very cool.. (other than the finger prints) 

Casey

If someone wants to send me one I will try it  ;D

There are a couple of touch screen systems out there - quite expensive though - ok for a large FM station but way over the top for an internet station.

RB has made significant improves and is now very "accessible" for which I would like to thanks the developers. (just needs nice bright control buttons to polish it off  ;) )

Regards

Dave
Regards
Dave

Casey

« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »
If someone wants to send me one I will try it  ;D

Me too!   :)
I'm just a poor old senior living on my government pension. That doesn't go very far. :(

Quote (selected)
(just needs nice bright control buttons to polish it off  ;) )

If you are referring to the buttons at bottom of the play list.. Play, Stop, SHFL etc..  I agree, even with my fairly good eyesight, I sometimes have trouble seeing if a button is selected.. Some real contrast - (colour difference) would be appreciated.  ;)

Casey

djsoft

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:51 AM »
I was a bit concerned about how the microphone would work as it is still using SoundMax Integrated Audio soundcard.
The answer is it work just fine..

RadioBoss survived it all and is working fine!  :)
Very good! By the way you shouldn't worry about integrated sound cards. First ones were bad, but now they work fine mostly.

I am assuming therefore that I have to add another sound card so that I can listen to track via the music library? I have simple USB sound cards lying around
Yes, if you have another card better to use it. If you have integrated 5.1 or 7.1 card you can use channel mapping feature, eg. playlist (Main) goes to Front speakers, pre-listen (Music Library, track tool, etc) goes to Rear speakers. This is set up via Settings->Playback.

If computer can run Windows XP or better - RB can work on it. I know people using Atom PC's with RB on their FM station, so it's fine. In rare case the sound may be broken - open Settings->Playback click Change for the main sound card and increase playback buffer size.

djsoft

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2012, 04:49:57 AM »
A nice big touch screen maybe something for the future.. :)

Currently I don't feel like I want a touch screen on a desktop... It requires keeping hands in the air all the time.
RB will behave fine with it when touch screens become popular enough :)

Here is a problem I have noticed, when working in what I call, operator assisted mode..
ie..  Auto mode but from time to time I may use [right click] on song in play list and select [Play next]..

Doing this can cause the Scheduler to missing events
Can RB be made to finish playing the scheduled tracks, before playing the next track selected?
Interesting. It's a sort of 'race condition' problem. This will be fixed somehow... I need to think about better resolution.

Here is the file http://db.tt/zMMuucv4

The issue is that it goes through strereo tools than broadcasted in mp3 at 320kb/s. I than use a second instance of RB (different Windows session) for ad management. It listen to the stream, detect the DTMF and replace by the apropriate audio and broadcast to Icecast to listeners without compression this time.

I use it that way as I expect to run more thant one RB for ad management and this way it only requires one instance of stereotool to save CPU.
When the stream doesn't go through StereoTool how good the detection works? Maybe ST is the issue?

Has the time & Weather announcements been included in the latest beta version?
Not yet, but those will be added in 4.8 for sure.

RB has made significant improves and is now very "accessible" for which I would like to thanks the developers. (just needs nice bright control buttons to polish it off  ;) )
Thanks :) New buttons is the next stage of UI improvement, I think it will be done in January.

Casey

« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2012, 04:57:08 AM »
An update on my soundcard setup..

Here is an interesting problem I have run into.

On the USB soundcard I use for preListen.. The audio sounds good when I first start up but after a few hours the audio out from this gets very distorted. I tried a few things and finally fixed the audio by changing the the sound card for PreListen in RB to another sound card then shutting down RB, restarting and reselecting the USB SC and got it working without distortion. 2 or 3 hours later it was back to being distorted. No problems with the integrated sc or the USB sc in the transmitter.

At first I was blaming this in either the USB sc or windows. I'm wondering now if this is the case.

After I shut down RB this early morning, I listened to some log files in Radio Logger (which has been running for many hours) and the audio sounded fine. It was using the USB soundcard for it's output.

Casey..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:59:55 AM by Casey »

dave-t

• Radio 45 Gold
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2012, 05:06:06 AM »
Re soundcard

Cheap USB sound cards only cost about £3 so I will add a couple of those rather than mapping the outputs.

Re UI improvements

I will add a couple of request to "Feature Requests"

Regards

Dave
Regards
Dave