How to write macros for Event Scheduler

Dmitry,

I just cannot work out how to use the macro commands with the Event Scheduler.  Can you please help ?

Basically I want to create an ongoing daily 3 hour breakfast show:

1. Use the Playlist Generator Pro to make up 42 x 50 minute breakfast playlists (42 x 50 minute breakfast playlists represents 14 days x 3 hours per day - with no repeats)

2. Using a DOS batch file increment or rotate the playlists so that Breakfast_001, Breakfast_002 and Breakfast_003 are fresh each morning from the collection of 42 static breakfast playlists.  I am doing this now and have the DOS script under control.

3. Using the Event Scheduler and the macro commands in the format  ?yyyy-?mm-?dd.m3u? create a strategy to use a single Scheduled Event to cover the 3 hours of breakfast for 7 days a week - done this way to reduce the number of scheduled entries needed and to keep it simple.

I'm assuming that I can create a single Scheduled Event that will execute at 6am, 7am, and 8am to pull in the appropriate static playlist which will be stored in a form similar to:  ?yyyy-?mm-?dd.m3u

I'm also assuming that I will have to rename 3 of my static breakfast playlists in some way similar to this example:

Breakfast_001  >  ?yyyy-?mm-?dd.m3u

Breakfast_002  >  ?yyyy-?mm-?dd.m3u

Breakfast_003  >  ?yyyy-?mm-?dd.m3u

Can you tell me how to do this ?

Once I have this one working I will then use the same concept for other time slots during the day and night.

Thanks in advance,  Jamie C.

Jamie, it's possible to rename files using the current date/time values in a DOS batch files, please see this article: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/203090/how-to-get-current-datetime-on-windows-command-line-in-a-suitable-format-for-us

Dmitry,

Yes, but I don't understand how the RB event scheduler has to be set up to do this stuff.  That's the bit that has me stumped.

So do I have to add a scheduled event like this ?

1. Add command:  ?yyyy-?mm-?dd-?hh-?nn.m3u

2. Hours:  Hours Minutes Seconds = 05 59 45, 06 59 45, 07 59 45 (ahead of scheduled event for the top of hour news being inserted at 06:00, 07:00 and 08:00)

3. Weekdays:  All

4. Options:  Enabled event, Do not action this event when playlist is stopped, Remove previous playlist from schedule, (possibly Clear playlist)

5. Have the three static playlists sitting there waiting to be used

2014-02-20-05-59.m3u

2014-02-20-06-59.m3u

2014-02-20-07-59.m3u

Are those the correct settings I need to add or something else ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Jamie,

If the minute is always "59" then you don't need to include it in macro - the macro should be used only for values that change.

Regarding the setup in general, I think it will work. Of course if DOS batch file does the renaming properly.

Dmitry,

Now I'm completely confused.  What I want to do is use the DOS batch file to generate 3 different breakfast playlists every morning of the year for:  5:59am, 6:59am and 7:59am.

The YYYY-MM-DD is not necessary for me because the DOS batch file will fix all of that.

The only thing I want to do is have a single Event Scheduler entry to run them all.

Can this be done and if so how ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Well, the only parameter which is changing, is hour. Then it's enough to set up an event with a command like C:\Playlists\?hh.m3u and make this event run at 5, 6 and 7 hours at 59th minute. That's it.

djsoft said:
Well, the only parameter which is changing, is hour. Then it's enough to set up an event with a command like C:\Playlists\?hh.m3u and make this event run at 5, 6 and 7 hours at 59th minute. That's it.
That's the best ever command of RadioBOSS. It saved us a lot of work.

Dmitry,

Okay cool.  I'll try that tomorrow.  Once I have breakfast going for 3 hours per day using the 3 x 50 minute playlists I will then do the rest of the day and night so all scheduled events add a 50 minute or 55 minute (for night time with no news bulletin) playlist.

This is exciting.

Thanks again,  Jamie C.

Dmitry,

I've tried the above and can see the event scheduler operate and nothing appears on the player screen.  I have tried this over and over again with different playlist name variations with no luck.

What am I doing wrong ?

Here are the settings:

Event Scheduler command:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\?22.m3u

Playlist names tried:

W:\1_station_msg\shows\22.m3u

W:\1_station_msg\shows\breakfast_22.m3u

W:\1_station_msg\shows\breakfast22.m3u

Then of course when I enter a "non wildcard" command it works perfectly for a static playlist name like this:

Event Scheduler command:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\22.m3u

** LATE UPDATE **

I just got it working by changing this command:

Event Scheduler command:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\?hh.m3u

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\12.m3u  (for 12 noon)

Success !

Is it possible to put an extra identifier in front of the playlist file so that I can do this with multiple shows and store the playlists in the same folder and make the names easier to understand and more intuitive ?  Like this:

BREAKFAST SHOW
=============

Event Scheduler command:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\?hh.m3u  (breakfast with hours 5:59, 6:59, 7:59)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\breakfast_05.m3u  (for breakfast at 5:59am)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\breakfast_06.m3u  (for breakfast at 6:59am)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\breakfast_07.m3u  (for breakfast at 7:59am)

DRIVE TIME SHOW
=============

Event Scheduler command:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\?hh.m3u  (drive time with hours 14:59, 15:59, 16:59)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\drive_14.m3u  (for drive time at 14:59pm)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\drive_15.m3u  (for drive at 15:59pm)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\drive_16.m3u  (for drive at 16:59pm)

Or even like this, so the playlist file name and time is obvious and clearly readable:

OVERNIGHT - from midnight to 6am
=========================

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_23-59.m3u  (for overnight at midnight)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_00-59.m3u  (for overnight at 00:59am)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_01-59.m3u  (for overnight at 01:59am)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_02-59.m3u  (for overnight at 02:59am)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_03-59.m3u  (for overnight at 03:59am)

Playlist file name:  W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_04-59.m3u  (for overnight at 04:59am)

Can that be done ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Jamie, I'm glad you've got it working :)

radiodungog said:
Is it possible to put an extra identifier in front of the playlist file so that I can do this with multiple shows and store the playlists in the same folder and make the names easier to understand and more intuitive ?
That's not possible within a single event.
You can create 3 different events for Breakfast/Drive time/Overnight playlists and use commands like
W:\1_station_msg\shows\drive_?hh.m3u in each of them.

radiodungog said:
Or even like this, so the playlist file name and time is obvious and clearly readable
W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_04-59.m3u
This can be done, just include "-59" in each playlist name.
W:\1_station_msg\shows\overnight_?hh-59.m3u

Dmitry,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I understand that 3 different events need to be scheduled - I just needed to know if the playlist name could be changed to include the names as you have shown above.

This is a great outcome so I'll go with it for all of our shows.

I'll put together a brief outline on a document and share it here when it is all in place.

Thanks again,  Jamie C.

radiodungog said:
Thanks for the quick reply.  I understand that 3 different events need to be scheduled - I just needed to know if the playlist name could be changed to include the names as you have shown above.
Of course it can. A command like W:\1_station_msg\shows\drive_?hh.m3u will work.

Back