RadioBOSS 5.9 [beta]

nelson c said:
Hi Dmitry, I'm thinking of migrating the stream that is later broadcast on FM to flac. But I realized that the RadioBOSS buffer is omitted with this format. Is it a bug, or is it a technical limitation?
It should buffer regardless of the stream format. It is possible that there's no data to buffer on the server. FLAC data is larger than MP3, and if you configure 30 second buffer on the server in bytes based on MP3, the same value will be only couple of seconds in FLAC.

I assumed it was a matter of flac data size.  The server is the integrated radiocaster  :).
I am using a very large buffer of 50 seconds.  in an ogg stream it starts playing after these seconds are stored.  (I don't think I will request data from the server before).

In the case of flac, playback begins immediately

I'm not sure why it's like this. You can use OGG or other format at high bitrate, the quality will not suffer. Using FLAC on a network where you need a 50 second buffer is not that good idea.

djsoft said:
I'm not sure why it's like this. You can use OGG or other format at high bitrate, the quality will not suffer. Using FLAC on a network where you need a 50 second buffer is not that good idea.
OGG at 192 khz is my encoder at least 6 years ago. 50 seconds of buffer was a great idea at that time and that's why it remains until today. (That's why I'm interested in continuing to maintain it)  It provides great reliability especially for something as critical as fm.

The compressed sound to OGG sounds great and it is very difficult to distinguish it from a FLAC.
The problem is when it has a subsequent processing (as in the case of fm). The difference is really very noticeable. Hanz, the creator of StereoTool, has written several posts about it, in addition he launched his own codec to avoid loss of audio quality in IP transport.

Everything evolves and internet connections are more stable and faster, today a stream flac of about 1 Mb per second should not be a problem. (Any YouTube video consumes at least 2 MB), that is why I want to migrate to flac.
I have router mikrotik prioritizing this type of traffic in the encoder and decoder, but I would like to have a large buffer, as additional protection.

If your connection is stable, there should be no problems with using FLAC. I've added FLAC buffering issue to bug tracker, if there's a bug, will be fixed in one of the next updates.

hello, i have a question:
i have a windows vps, with windows server 2016. i use windows rdp to operate it.
I have radio boss instaled and transmiting radio. but, when i'm logged in the vps via rdp, all is normal. when i close rdp, the stream stops. it apears that vps is suspending, but, it is active, because i can make oter things, for example i have a game server that not stops. could you tell me what i can do for fix this?

It seems that audio device is deactivated when you disconnect (by default the only audio device when you connect with RDP is "Remote audio" and it's disconnected when remote session ends). You should use the "No sound" device in RadioBOSS as Main soundcard, this way RadioBOSS will not depend on any sonud devices.

Hi D. The send artwork from mp3 function works really well although i Have noticed that it does not get turned of if you are not streaming music. I know this is probably a wish but could it have a toggle check box setting that switches this on and off with the stream  please as currently the artwork streams from RadioBoss even when the stream is not playing but is playing local.

Thanks D

If you send artwork to your web site, you can make web site ignore it under certain circumstances.

Yesterday morning RadioBoss threw a wobbly and caused Win 7 to collapse (presumably since I cannot be absolutely certain of that, but the whole computer wasn't operating and had to be turned off and then powered up again. Of course it may not be RB that caused Win 7 to collapse also, that is simply a presumption on my part that it did... since RB was the only thing that did not come back normally after the crash happened).
This is the first time it has ever happened on this computer since RB was installed.
After rebooting and starting RB, it was back to basic's with NO skin. After several restarts of RB the skin came back, seemingly reluctantly, but did eventually.
The other oddity was Events and Playlist. The columns were out of order (I don't think this was back to default either) and I had to manually move them back to the order I wanted them. This was even after loading back in the .sdl file, which should have saved the order of columns.

I decided it might be best to reinstall Ver 5.9.2.0 but suddenly realized that I didn't have that due to using the built-in automatic downloader (top right in RB). Using the button again resulted in RB wanting to install 5.9.4.0 but my license is paid up until 5.9.2.0 only, so that was of no use.
On clicking the area where it mentions 5.9.1.0 (https://www.djsoft.net/enu/news/138.htm), I thought I would download that, as it was about as close as I could find to 5.9.2.0, but when I clicked on "Download RB Ver 5.9.1.0, it immediately went to downloading the lastest version 5.9.4.0.

So my question is where do I got to download Ver 5.9.2.0 ?

You can download version 5.9.2 here: http://dl2.djsoft.net/radioboss_setup_5.9.2.0.exe
Consider updating to 5.9.4 as it has about 100 bug fixes and improvemens compared to 5.9.2 :)

Please note that RadioBOSS can't crash the computer. It simply does not hany any permission to do so even if it wanted :) (it runs in user mode, without admin rights, it does not have any drivers or services). From what you describe, it seems like hard drive failure (but it could be anything), some files got corrupted or deleted, therefor it was unable to start properly. In this case, it will happen again.

It must be my week for RadioBoss throwing wobbly's. Have I done something wrong or upset someone ?

This on a second separate computer running WIN 7. RadioBoss has never thrown a wobbly on this computer before, EVER.
I picked this up via a network remote monitor one word being repeated every 2 seconds from a talking file. This surprised me as it has never happened before. I thought it was the monitor or network rather than RB.
When I went to the computer itself, it was showing the file jammed near the very end of the file it was on. The file had rotated previously for several days with no problems. This computer has an SSD Drive.
BUT besides that was a box coming up saying "Something Library" like RadioBoss Monitor Library, something like that, but in typing this now I have forgotten what it was, the first name that is.
This was being repeated hundreds of times on the screen, presumably in sync with the repeated word rolling over. Hundreds of boxes.

On rebooting, nothing was strange with RB. It started up normally and happily went on its way and is this evening going absolutely fine.

DJSTU said:
BUT besides that was a box coming up saying "Something Library" like RadioBoss Monitor Library, something like that, but in typing this now I have forgotten what it was, the first name that is.
It's impossibly hard to tell the reason without the exact error message. This can be caused by anything - Windows installed an update and there could be "almost installed" updates that require computer restart, if you're not using server grade hardware then it can glitch occasionally (although extremely rarely).
Honestly it's impossible to do something for such one-off, once in N years/months issues. Just restart the computer and if it works, then good.

No, its most certainly not a windows 7 update issue.
Immediately we set up a computer, and its running fine, then Windows Updates is one of the first things we completely turn off never to be used again.
These are dedicated on-air units, that's the only function they perform.
Microsoft is hazardous at the best of times.

Also the reason most radio people never use Windows 10, due to its trying to force updates all the time and rebooting the computer at 3am in the morning. I would never use one on-air but the Win 10 computer I do have, in spite of everything I have tried to stop it updating, still does. It just over-rides everything.  Your attempt to stop it might last 2 or 3 months, but then its back at it again. Its frustrating to say the least.

DJSTU said:
Also the reason most radio people never use Windows 10, due to its trying to force updates all the time and rebooting the computer at 3am in the morning.
It's possible to turn off updates completely via group policies: https://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,4937.0.html
If you set Configure Automatic Updates: Disabled then you forget about updates forever. You still should install them from time to time for security purposes.
The fact is that Windows 7 is virtually dead, gradually you will find more and more drivers missing for this OS and software that does not support it. We will continue supporting it for a while, as we did for Windows XP. BTW, starting with RadioBOSS 6.0 we drop Windows XP support.

djsoft said:
If your connection is stable, there should be no problems with using FLAC. I've added FLAC buffering issue to bug tracker, if there's a bug, will be fixed in one of the next updates.
Hello Dmitry, is a solution to this problem possible in the near future?
Now we have a dedicated internet link to send Flac audio. However RB continues to have problems every two to three hours. (I think internally it uses less than 5 seconds of buffer when using flac).
We tried another player with 10 seconds of buffer and the playback is totally stable.

djsoft said:
It will be addressed in the next major update - RadioBOSS 6.0.
Hi Dmitry, the buffer problem with FLAC was with an old version of RB. In the latest version it works as it should.  :)

By the way, any estimated date for RB 6? ;D

nelson c said:
Hi Dmitry, the buffer problem with FLAC was with an old version of RB. In the latest version it works as it should.
Interesting, as I don't see any changes in the past few versions regarding FLAC.

nelson c said:
By the way, any estimated date for RB 6?
The beta version should be available with a month, maybe two.

Back