RadioBOSS Update from 4.8.3 to 4.9.0.11 - Safety Net Required

Dmitry,

I have just finished a 4 hour marathon updating RadioBOSS 4.8.3 to 4.9.0.11 and had lots of problems.  I also tried this on another box a few days ago with success but not without significant frustration.

So the good bits first:
1. RadioBOSS 4.9.0.11 is good to use and has some new very nice features

The bad bits with my updates:
1. Not all config settings remained intact.  This was annoying as I was not prepared for it.  Had I have known this was going to happen I would have put off doing the update until I had a complete set of screenshots done for every config page.
2. The first installation went better than the second but having to add config settings manually was annoying.
3. The second installation resulted in RadioBOSS operating eratically with pulsing sound so it took quite a while to work around that.  I tried reverting back to the old version but that was not successful so I opted to do a few things like:
a) Run Windows Update
b) Run Combofix
c) Run Windows Update again
d) Run Combofix again
e) Run a fresh RadioBOSS installation and manually copy across config and data files

While running the first Windows update a message came up saying that Malware had been detected and fixed - quite an unusual message and one I hadn't ever seen before - hence I ran Combofix to help out too.

Anyway, RadioBOSS 4.9.0.11 is now installed and running but I am not game to ever attempt an update again without:
1. Screenshots of config and settings pages
2. A better understanding of where the config and settings files are stored so that I can back them up and apply them if anything ever goes wrong.  This is the "safety net" I referred to above.

And a final observation after everything was completed and our radio station went back on air with RadioBOSS.  I noticed that songs played from the playlist were not deleted once they were played.  Have I done something wrong ?  Far too much excitement for one day but a good outcome.

Thanks for your efforts in releasing RadioBOSS 4.9.0.11

Jamie C.

RadioBOSS 4.9 has many changes, both in its internal structure and user interface. Because of this it's not possible to migrate all the settings from the older versions - but at least it keeps the most important stuff: scheduler events, playlists, playlist generator presets and file types - those are kept even if you're updating from a very old version, like RadioBOSS v2 released in 2006 :)

Another thing: as everything has been improved, updating from RB 4.9 to any newer version will keep up to 100% of the settings and preferences. Also now it has settings backup feature, so even if update goes wrong you can always revert to previous version and restore all the settings.

You asked where the settings are stored: settings are located under AppData folder, to open it click Settings->Open Settings Folder. If you want to backup your settings, click Settings Backup and Restore->Backup - it will save all settings to a single file.

To make it delete the songs: click Playlist->Queue mode (make sure it's checked).

Dmitry,

All going correctly now - thanks.  The new features and fixes are good value and already our presenters are giving positive feedback.

A suggestion:  With many config settings not being carried across it would be a good idea to include a WARNING message on installation that config settings will be lost and that users should back up or do screen dumps of their previous settings BEFORE doing an update on a mission critical working copy.

Just a suggestion to save others the hassle that I experienced.

Thanks, Jamie C.

Good, I'm glad presenters like the new version.

About 80% settings are preserved when you update from 4.8 to 4.9.
Future versions will carry over all the settings to make software update hassle-free :)

I'm experiencing some issues with my sound after the update to this version.  I can hear some sort of trembling in my signal, I have tried already switching from 48 to 96 on the rate, and nothing.  I wonder if anyone have had the same issue and how to fix it.  In my previous version, sound was pristine at 48BKPs. Thanks a lot in advance.

Radio Caribe said:
I'm experiencing some issues with my sound after the update to this version.  I can hear some sort of trembling in my signal, I have tried already switching from 48 to 96 on the rate, and nothing.  I wonder if anyone have had the same issue and how to fix it.  In my previous version, sound was pristine at 48BKPs. Thanks a lot in advance.
What RadioBOSS version it was and what current version are you using?
Try increasing playback buffer size: http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,2820.0.html most likely, it'll solve the problem.

Back