ReplayGain... what's that ? and why ?

I am a registered user of RadioBoss,

for each track (flac) in my database i modify from database -> Tracktool-> the Playback Level (so that each track has it's peak level at -1dB)
as a result when i check each track from the Music Library i have different Playback levels for each track (from +0.2 to maybe +5 dB for certain low level tracks so that they play at the same peak level before entering my audio processor)

i've noticed tha in the main player (the radioboss.exe itself) that when tracks are played from the playlist i generate, even when the button "autoAmp" is off, on some tracks this "off" parameter is replaced by this : replaygain +1.2 (for example) BUT my Playback Level for that specific track was set, for example, to +3dB !

Why ? is it a bug ? do my tracks levels really play at the level fixed from track tool using the parameter "Playback level" ? WELL i WONDER !
i have checkeck my tracks individualy using Foobar, to investigate by myself, but NO TRACKS have replaygain sets !
the strange thing is, that for each track that has a playback level set, in that main RadioBoss player, i don't see anywhere that they play at the level i have set in tracktool...
Strange no?

thanks for your answer !

FRED

Attachments

• replay.png
    replay.png
    409.5 KB · Views: 120
ReplayGain is a feature to make all tracks play at the same volume level. It only works if it's turned on in RadioBOSS: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/miscellaneous.htm

RadioBOSS has its own normalization (it works on perceived sound level and does not care about peaks so maybe not what you seek): https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/normalizing-tracks.htm

In your case if you absolutely need to control peak levels, you should disable AutoAmp, ReplayGain, do not perform normalization and check that every track's level is 0dB or -1dB. 0dB could be a better choice (it's easier to set as Track Tool shows a red live when 0dB is exceeded) and you can always control output level using the Gain slider in the main window (set it to -1dB to lower output level).

Ok, got it ! thanks Dmintri for your quick answer ! Your soft for me is one of the best on the market ! (i was previously using Winradio from WinMedia Group...)
i have other questions, and maybe bugs, but will start a new topic for each !
Kindest Regards

I know Dimitri is in favour of normalising the tracks, but I had to do this on every one of my 27k+ tracks that it set and silly levels. I hd to go through them all to reset them. I have it turned off and am neutral sounding from RB I have the DSP doing this for me to get the most I can without distorting.

I know Dimitri is in favour of normalising the tracks, but I had to do this on every one of my 27k+ tracks that it set and silly levels. I hd to go through them all to reset them. I have it turned off and am neutral sounding from RB I have the DSP doing this for me to get the most I can without distorting.
i do the same !

You can make it bulk reset the normalization levels - in Music Libarary, Process Tracks, there's an option for that.

Yes but the normalization takes one input, a thresh hold change not a maximum level which would be better it completely messed up my whole library this was some time ago i admit! please anyone doing this back up first

Yes but the normalization takes one input, a thresh hold change not a maximum level which would be better it completely messed up my whole library this was some time ago i admit! please anyone doing this back up first
What you suggest is called "Peak normalization", it is the most simple way to normalizing tracks, but the results are not very good. RadioBOSS uses a more sophisticated algorithm to determine loudness (EBU R128) which provides a much better result (perceived loudness of the tracks is the same).
Anyway, normalization in RadioBOSS does not change audio content and is completely reversible.

Back