Running on server?

vocalistics

Hi

Due to a few problems with the internet connection here dropping periodically it has been suggested that I lease a dedicated or VPS in a reelible exchange and install RadioBoss on that.  Cost wise it appears to be do-able but can anyone tell me if they have done this or if indeed it is possible?  Most hosting companies think that a server running Windows 7 or Windows 2008 would do this perfectly - maybe with 500gb for hard drive space and 2TB of monthly bandwidth but I am curious to know if indeed RadioBoss will function if installed on a server to which I have remote access?

Many thanks
Steve

RadioBOSS can be used on a remote server. Windows 2008R2 server is good for this. I'm not sure if hosting companies offer Windows 7 servers...

Thanks - I have been playing with it today on a Windows2008R2 and it works very well indeed.  In fact I have even installed dropbox on the server so updating pre-recorded shows etc it easy locally.

In the event of going live obviously the line in won't work through a server but I am planning to use a seperate Shoutcast stream and then schedule it to stream that URL.  Query... is there a way to use DTMF tones to activate this?  I just want to get the timings perfect so there is no cuts or gaps.  What would you recommend taking into account the server delays?  Is there any way?

On another point I would recommend anyone who wants to avoid leaving a pc on 24/7 or who like in my case has an internet connection that sometimes drops to try a server - really brings this great software to life and doesn't cost the earth!

Yes, you can use DTMF to activate stream playback - this user manual page will help you to get started: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/starting_events_by_dtmf_signal.html

Maybe DTMF is not the best option for this - I think you should try time-based approach for this as it's much easier to setup.

About running RadioBOSS on a server, there's an experimental RadioBOSS Hosted solution which offers this :) http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,3226.msg10945.html#msg10945
It's free, without any warranties, also server usage is limited (eg. you can't run any other programs, only RB). But several stations using it and it's generally fine.

Back