short blanks in the broadcast without disconnexion

Christian

Hi,

Here is an issue I am getting for some time now but that I cannot fixe, hope you can help.

I regullarly, let say 15 to 20 times a day have someting like 2 seconds blank in the stream. No audio. Nothing wrong from RB point of view, no error, no disconnection from IceCast. Icecast is configured to play backup file in case of source drop, but it does not switch to backup file at all.

From client/listener side there is a 2 to 3 seconds blank in the music, sometime it's just 1/2 second. Sometime winamp says buffer 0% and then stars playing again. Most of the time listeners are not getting disconnected. But it's really annoying.

Just to remaind you both RB server and Icecast are running on virtual machines on the same guest. I also broadcast an external stream receive from yhe Internet  on the same Icecast and there is no blank.

It seems to me that RB sometime run out of streaming to IceCast but not long enough for IceCast to disconnect source!

Is there a way I can artificially increase by 0.1% the anount of speed RB is playing and streaming to IceCast ?
Tere is no sound cart on the virtual machine so RB is configure with "No sound" and the "Do not limit decode rate..." option is checked.

Seens to occur more often when intensive use of overlaping tracks with using "Intro" "Outro" triggers ie a jingle playing over the begining of a track, or when starting playing a long file with "Intro" trigger set.

2 RB VM:

RB version: 4.7.7.0
Virtual Machine on Citrix XenServer
Win XP Pro SP3
2 vCPU 1 Go Ram : Average CPUs load 24%
2 mp3 encoder 128k + 320k
1 AAC+ encoder 40k
Network: Internal  (Citrix internal 1Gb LAN)

IceCast 2.3.2:
Virtual Machine on Citrix XenServer
Ubuntu server 11.04
1 vCPU 2Go Ram CPU : Average CPUload 16%
Network: Internal  (Citrix internal 1Gb LAN) + Internet bridged 100Mb

Citrix XenServer
Intel i5 4core 16Go RAM
Average CPU 65%

Thanks for your help.
Christian

Regarding the speed, sometimes there could be a slight difference when you broadcasting using a real sound card, eg. instead of 48000Hz it plays on 48010Hz, making tracks play slightly faster.. This adds up as time goes, and can issue sound breaks.
When broadcasting with no sound card, it relies on a system timer, which can be inaccurate too, especially when using virtual machines.

I advice you to do the following:
- update to the latest RB 4.7.7.1
- uncheck the "Do not limit decode rate" option

Hi,

I investigated a bit more and it appears there are some short freezes for time to time. I cannot find the cause, maybe due to I/O issues on the host.
I will test the 4.7.7.1 version, but is there an option to precisely tune the playback so I can slightly increase the amount of transmitted data?

Christian

If the whole virtual system freezes from time to time, it couldn't be resolved from RadioBOSS...

Turning off the "Do not limit decode rate..." option gives a great chance to solve the problem.

I tried RB 4.7.7.1 but it's worst in the other way round this time!  It goes FAR TOO FAST! RB plays about 1minutes 10 seconds in a 60 seconds laps time. There are regular jump forward when listening to the stream.
RB does that what ever the "Do not limit decode rate..." option is activated or not.

I when back to RB 4.7.7.0 !!! It plays faster when there are no encoder but at 'normal' speed when there is at east one encoder connected.

Also, only on RB 4.7.7.1, I receive regular error message "Problem sending data to a server. Please Check..." It does this randomly to all streams (IceCast)

Christian

Did you restart it after switching the "Do not limit rate" option? When this option turned off, the stream will go at its normal speed.

The "Problem sending" error message usually indicates network problem - when RB can not send stream to the server (it indicates which encoder is a problem).

Did you restart it after switching the "Do not limit rate" option?
yes I restarted .

When this option turned off, the stream will go at its normal speed.
Yes for RB 4.7.7.0 but no for RB 4.7.7.1

The "Problem sending" error message usually indicates network problem - when RB can not send stream to the server (it indicates which encoder is a problem).
This only happens with RB 4.7.7.1
I was running 3 encoders, and it happens to all 3 of them in a random sequence.

OK, this will be checked. RB 4.8 beta will be released tomorrow, you can try it if you wish.

Back